Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with k-7 sharpness

i'm having issues with my K7, i cant get it constant, i went to the beach today, and i shuttered off many shots at all settings in manual.

i cant get it sharp at all when at 18-35mm, its worse then the 10d in this case, i use a tripod all the time to try and combat it but it still ghosts and blurs, also surely f8 to f16should be fairly sharp, but they are not, 5.6 is really bad.

1. i understand that the kit lens is medioka

2. i know my way around slr's to a enthusiastic level

3. i understand i might not be getting it right too

4. Ive tried the SR off as well with no real noticable change

Its a very overcast day with the sun poking through now and again, light was very flat and boring

but its very noticable...heres a shot crop at 100% and on a tripod too

Its very blurry and its like it all over the shot, i had SR on and its on firmware 1.2.16

The same here also, and its on settings i feel should be crisp..

is this the lens issue so many peeps talk about?

any help would be good, and its also noticable when not at 100%

Last edited by shaun2k; 02-08-2010 at 09:58 AM.
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello

Are you using a tripod and shake reduction at the same time?
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah in good light forget the tripod, are you getting consistent results? by that i mean is the left side always softer than the right. There is no way the kit lens is that mediocre at f/8 so either you are doing something wrong or the lens/camera is off.

Do you have another lens to try?
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the reply,

well thats the thing, i only have the kit lens at present, on close ups its fine, which is strange (around 1-4 feet) i have no problems with image quality at all at that subject length, and i can max the image size and with a little image sharpen using focal blade i can see every little detail.

its when i do landscapes, with either major tree detail, or rocks and whatever, i have used the camera whilst in the car, (this is strange), and taken shots with the shutter faster then usual say around 350-450 and although stupidly under exposed the remaining detail is very sharp even travelling at high speed. but when either on a tripod or holding stationary, with or without SR on it is really soft, for ages i thought it was the lens as i notice threads describing similar issues, however its like a repeating pattern , meaning, i take 8 shots, and 1 is in focus to my standards, though the settings have not changed, nor subject angle or light.

I have a steady hand and even breath like a sniper to make sure its as good as can be, when on a tripod i use the 2 sec timer to take the shot to make sure a firm shot.

yet trees seem very fluffy, and subjects like rocks which should have a good contrast, fail me and show ghosting and blur..i except this to a degree, but its too regular at various settings to be me...i think..with my k10 its a case of point and shot with the desired settings and boom its clear and its consistant, if i hadnt used that i think i would except it but..knowing what the little k10d does really boils my blood when it comes to the K7.

i'm not giving up, but i need an answer....i feel as though the side focus isnt helping, and i dont know how to do the lens correction bit, i know where it is, but i dont know the operation of it..

a few questions:

1. Does manual focus give some advantages to more accurate focus?

2. Some one suggest a good lens

3. Could the firmware have done crazy things? version 1.2.16

4. Whats foward focus and back focus?

what settings in the menu do peeps leave thier K7 on (eg like high iso noise reduction etc) and af adjustment?

please helpme guys i just want a consistant camera, but i do appreciate it might be me, however i'm not doing anything i wouldnt do on the k10d

02-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Igilligan

As I mentioned in a pm, the last shot seems to show some decentering issues... with the entire left side being soft and the right side looking sharper. But it is hard to tell with the photos you have posted.

Is that a consistant look with the longer landscape shots? Left soft/ center and right sharper?

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-08-2010 at 12:17 PM.
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you've got the camera on a tripod, turn off SR.

But the kit lens isn't bad at all. No, it won't give you the same IQ as a good prime, but it shouldn't give you images like that.

I've not tried using SR with a tripod, mainly because the manual says not to. Anyway, that may be your problem.

Good luck!
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No a better lens will not solve the issue unless th ekit lens is faulty, the kit lens is planty sharp .... at f/8 ...

02-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Whether or not you feel you should have been able to hold the camera steady or not, you clearly didn't in #1. That's not lens softness, it's camera shake. In #2, looks like you posted a crop from an area that's not in focus - DOF is not infinite at f/5.6. Although the extreme corner could possibly look like that if that's wide open at 55mm even if it were in focus. In #3, I don't see the difference between the left and right sides that you do - is that a 100% too, or do you mean, we *would* have been able to see a difference *if* you had posted crops?

02-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
In #3, I don't see the difference between the left and right sides that you do - is that a 100% too, or do you mean, we *would* have been able to see a difference *if* you had posted crops?
Yipes, it's clear as day for me, it's very soft on the left side ... very soft.
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
looks like a lens w/ a decentering issue. See if you can borrow a different lens to test with to confirm...

You sure Sigma didn't build your kit lens? ;-)

Last edited by kenyee; 02-08-2010 at 08:46 PM.
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Whether or not you feel you should have been able to hold the camera steady or not, you clearly didn't in #1. That's not lens softness, it's camera shake. In #2, looks like you posted a crop from an area that's not in focus - DOF is not infinite at f/5.6. Although the extreme corner could possibly look like that if that's wide open at 55mm even if it were in focus. In #3, I don't see the difference between the left and right sides that you do - is that a 100% too, or do you mean, we *would* have been able to see a difference *if* you had posted crops?
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Yipes, it's clear as day for me, it's very soft on the left side ... very soft.

I agree, even in this small for web post, the whole left side is a blob that cant be explained by movement or DOF. And without knowing where the 100% crops of 1 & 2 come from it is hard to know for sure if it is a decentering issue or something else...
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Please post full size shots so we can analyze it clearly. At this point I believe it's more decentering of the lens than anything else. First time I hear of something like this with the kit lens...
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok heres the link to the full images...

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/348537765/Hannafore.zip
these are the full jpegs with no processing

Heres a shot That was ok so i just dont get it

02-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I took a look at the set, and all the bad images are from 50mm. The nicer ones are all at wider focal lengths. My diagnosis right now is that the main reason for the blurriness is that your copy of the kitlens is somewhat decentered at 50-55mm (which together with 18mm has always been that lens' weak points anyway). As you said the left side at 50mm seems way less sharp, and at evan at 20mm the corner is still not as sharp as the center. My DA WR is also slightly less sharp in the corners, but that's a 10 mpix sensor though, the 14mp sensor might make it more obvious.

Another issue might be that you didnt shoot at hyperfocal, so the foreground images are not as sharp / focused.

Try not zooming and just shoot at 35mm, and try shooting with a cheapo pentax 50mm prime at f/4. If your pictures starts to appear sharper, then the kitlens is the culprit; just send it in to pentax and have them replace it.

IMG 1292 was at 20mm, and it was quite sharp... so I dont think it's a problem from 18-35mm, more like at 50-55mm. That's just deducing from the set that you posted, though!

PS. were you using a filter? that could be the culprit too. I noticed that 1292 actually have a pretty heavy vignetting...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-11-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: \
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hmm, you guys must be seeing things differently than I. If I put my nose right up to the screen, I can barely see a difference in #3, but it could very easily be a matter of the image getting softer as it goes to the edge, since we don't know where the crop was taken from. And if that's as soft as the kit lens gets at 100%, I don't see a problem.