Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10D and KX. I have both, Which do I keep?

i originally bought a KX for myself. its my first dslr. bought i just bought a k10d for my friend on marketplace and it was delivered today. it just seems so much more "professional". my friend doesn't care which one she gets but i gotta be honest, i realy like the size and feel of the k10. other than the higher iso capability, is the kx any better?

it comes down to this....if you had borth in your hands and had to keep 1, which would it be?
i gotta give one up tomorrow.

02-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have both. And I haven't picked up my K10D in a couple of months, if that tells you anything. But part of the reason is that I like walking around taking pictures handheld at night, at which the K-x beats the pants off my K10D. But I do admit that I find the dumbed down controls annoying. I just put up with them for the image quality. If they transplanted the K-x sensor and processing into the K7 body I'd buy a couple.
02-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Igilligan

Kx ----

Better AF
Better Hi ISO
Better PTTL metering
Live View
Video

K10

better controls
better Low ISO

no question what I would do... now if it was the K20 it might be a tougher decision, with the ability to adjust AF on individual lenses... but the Kx would win for me personally.

I would keep the K-x if I was you, then if I really wanted the larger cam, I would look for a used K10 which should be dirt cheap now, or a used K20
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll expand on Gus' list: everything he said, plus

K10d--
much easier to use in manual mode with K and M lenses.
viewfinder shows focus point
better feel with a long lens or heavy zoom
brighter screens for manual focus
water resistant
battery grip available

K-x--
Small size
easy to find battery
better white balance indoors (though not perfect)

02-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I also have both. K10d is the 'nice to have' camera for true 100 ISO, weatherseal and pentaprism. K10d is my reason to own the DA 18-55 WR. And boy did I have fun in the snowstorm, walking around much more expensively priced canon 5dIIs but all in all, I think k-x is the more capable one, and is what I'll choose if I can only have one. The AF and high ISO is just night and day. Who cares that you can't easily select the focus points when... you can actually focus? And did I mention that with k-x you can use the slowpoke DA50-200 INDOORS? (not that it gets much use indoors anyway, lol). Of course this depends on your type of shooting; but the only reason I would see someone choosing K10d over k-x is for outdoor shooting, or to use manual focus lenses (K10d ISO 100 + Takumars = AWESOME).

Luckily for now I don't have to choose...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your friend:
If your friend is highly interested in photography, the K10D is the right camera for her. If she is less interested, the Kx is the better option for her because of scene modes; she can grow to using more manual style photography if she ever wants to. It's important to realise this (in my opinion) as the wrong camera will not be used.

For you:
You're ready for a K7
02-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i originally bought a KX for myself. its my first dslr. bought i just bought a k10d for my friend on marketplace and it was delivered today. it just seems so much more "professional". my friend doesn't care which one she gets but i gotta be honest, i realy like the size and feel of the k10. other than the higher iso capability, is the kx any better?

it comes down to this....if you had borth in your hands and had to keep 1, which would it be?
i gotta give one up tomorrow.
Hard choice... Is there a particular reason you bought the K10d for her? IOW, did she state that's what she wanted? Or was it available at the right price for someone else wanting to jump into the DSLR game?..

If YOU don't care, let her choose and don't look back. Either camera can be easily replaced. Personally, I prefer the fit feel use of the flagship cameras to the entry level ones but that's just me. Consider that the K20d has nearly exactly the same body as the K10d.

Good luck..

02-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let her decide if you are undecided
02-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe ill let her decide. i saw it for a decent price so i bought it. she just has never used a dslr but wanted a fisheye lens so i told her i'd get the lens and we'd find a body for her. the k10d just happened to pop up first. but now that i see it...i really like it. as for the stregnths of the k10...
i have a much of manual primes that i use...
sig 28mm 1.8
smc m28mm 2.8
smc a 50mm 1.4
smc m 55mm 1.8

should these lenses be the desicion or shouyld i just wait a year and grab a k7? does that have the same "feel"?

while i do shoot skiing and biking outdoors i also shoot a lot indoor pics too. man this is tough.....
02-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

I'm sticking with K10. In fact I'll be getting second one soon (the GP2007 ltd edition). Simply love the camera. I left it permanently in debug mode so I can adjust AF for each lens separately. I don't do too much high ISO, and I never liked the colours coming out of my wife's GX20 (the same sesnor as K20 shooting RAW). So for now, there simply isn't better option for me.
K10 all the way!
02-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
maybe ill let her decide. i saw it for a decent price so i bought it. she just has never used a dslr but wanted a fisheye lens so i told her i'd get the lens and we'd find a body for her. the k10d just happened to pop up first. but now that i see it...i really like it. as for the stregnths of the k10...
i have a much of manual primes that i use...
sig 28mm 1.8
smc m28mm 2.8
smc a 50mm 1.4
smc m 55mm 1.8

should these lenses be the desicion or shouyld i just wait a year and grab a k7? does that have the same "feel"?

while i do shoot skiing and biking outdoors i also shoot a lot indoor pics too. man this is tough.....
M Lenses are a good reason to have a K10d or, better yet, a K-7, but that is not a selection that is all that essential for a digital body. If a K-7 is a serious possiblity in the near future, I'd definitely keep the K-x. It's feel is slightly different because it is smaller, but the K-7 has the finder and exposure controls to make using the "m" lenses easier.

On the other hand, you might make her really happy with the K-x. The smaller, lighter feel is a hit with smaller hands that have tried it.

For me, personally, the K10d was a perfect match for my M and K lenses. The biggest deficiencies in the K10d are not an issue in full manual and the biggest deficiencies in the K-x are not a problem if the manual lenses are used elsewhere.
02-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is there a certain iso level where the noise becomes an issue comparatively speaking against the kx or is it straight across the board? in other words would both shoot iso 800 the same while the kx would see an advantage at , lets say 3200? or is the kx cleaner at 400, 800, 1600, 3200.etc.....

lets put it this way....i have more of an interest of the ins and outs of exposure and photography than she would. while 'm still relatively new, i have a direction that i want to go and have picked up the basic theory(s) rather quickly i usually shoot manual. she most likely will not be shooting manual and would not devote as much time towards development and understanding/reading as i do.
i have the manual lenses...she does not.

BTW..i bought my kx new just before christmas, it has a 3 year extended warranty from b&h and this k10d has 1100 shutter actuations. should that play a role?

maybe i should just buy another k10d for myself?
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #13

I was actually the one who sold the K10D to you

I was quite happy with the camera, but since I already own a K100D Super and my wife likes the dumbed down controls, I sold the K10D to begin raising funds for a K-x. This is because my wife and I bring both cameras on our trips and she prefers using the SCN modes rather than composing on her own. She also really wants a DSLR with live view as well b/c when she goes on trips with her friends, they aren't used to taking photos using a viewfinder

I will miss the better control I had with the K10D, but a combo of the K100D Super and K-x is not bad either -- just neither body has a weather-sealing.
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

K10d at 100 ISO is one of the best digitals ever made IMO which makes it a no brainer to me.

I still have not seen a large number of impressive shots from the k-x unless your main interest is portraiture by candlelight, and even then... It seems like you really have to step up lens quality to get anything nice from the k-x, but IMO it remains behind K10
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wronskian2003 Quote
I was actually the one who sold the K10D to you
i'll assume it works then. i still haven't tried it. but it looks like it was well cared for. i'll getchya some feedback.