Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
It seems like you really have to step up lens quality to get anything nice from the k-x, but IMO it remains behind K10

I found the opposite with my Kx and K10D. In the comparison shots I took I preferred the Kx pics even at low ISOs. That was with a nice prime on both, rather than the kit lens. Loved the feel of the K10D, but I sold it after that.

02-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
is there a certain iso level where the noise becomes an issue comparatively speaking against the kx or is it straight across the board? in other words would both shoot iso 800 the same while the kx would see an advantage at , lets say 3200? or is the kx cleaner at 400, 800, 1600, 3200.etc.....

lets put it this way....i have more of an interest of the ins and outs of exposure and photography than she would. while 'm still relatively new, i have a direction that i want to go and have picked up the basic theory(s) rather quickly i usually shoot manual. she most likely will not be shooting manual and would not devote as much time towards development and understanding/reading as i do.
i have the manual lenses...she does not.

BTW..i bought my kx new just before christmas, it has a 3 year extended warranty from b&h and this k10d has 1100 shutter actuations. should that play a role?

maybe i should just buy another k10d for myself?
The K10d is basically clean up to ISO 400 and some say that up to there, it's the best of the flagship cameras. ISO 800 to 1600 are usable in the right situations (don't expect clean shadow areas with those ISO settings). ISO 3200 would be for emergencies only as it's pretty noisy across the board.

1100 shutter actions is basically a new camera. It probably came from the factory with 300. You should be able to get well into 5 digits with it maybe even 6. Learning to beat the K10d to your way of thinking will definitely enhance your learning experience. There IS a learning curve with it though for the inexperienced.

95% of these were taken with my first K10d. In many cases, lenses used are labeled somehow.

Be aware that most warranties are not transferable so if the need ever arises, you may need to help with it. Unless it's a Mack warranty which I believe Is transferable but it must be done immediately.

02-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
so before i make this decision, a few more questions....

how old is the k10d line?
is the 10.2 vs 12.4 mp anything to worry about
is there a dollar amount that i'm losing for trading this k10d for my kx?

and i'm assuming from the sounds of things that the k10d was one of there better bodies. maybe their best before the k20? not really knowledgeable about them and don't have time to search it.

finally....are the batteries better or worse than the replaceable lithium ions that i use for the kx?

thanks
02-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
so before i make this decision, a few more questions....

how old is the k10d line?
is the 10.2 vs 12.4 mp anything to worry about
is there a dollar amount that i'm losing for trading this k10d for my kx?

and i'm assuming from the sounds of things that the k10d was one of there better bodies. maybe their best before the k20? not really knowledgeable about them and don't have time to search it.

finally....are the batteries better or worse than the replaceable lithium ions that i use for the kx?

thanks
K10 announced at the end of 2006
Used K10's go for around 300 bucks so subtract from your Kx cost for what you are "losing"

The K10 sensor is spot on at ISO 100 but gets noisy at ISO 800
The Kx sensor is exponentially better at High ISO - It is not even close

Batteries are purt near the same... Although the K10d battery may need to be replaced but you can pick up cheap batts on EBAY

02-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea about the KX but I do know the dark frame subtraction on the K10 is very short on timed Lightning shots at night photo's of storms. The only camera I use for these timed shots. and battery life is great. jim
02-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #21

Rain, shine or dark?

If you are going to shoot in the rain, keep the K10 - in poor light, keep the Kx - if in doubt, see which feels best.

Mike
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K10d is basically clean up to ISO 400 and some say that up to there, it's the best of the flagship cameras. ISO 800 to 1600 are usable in the right situations (don't expect clean shadow areas with those ISO settings). ISO 3200 would be for emergencies only as it's pretty noisy across the board
The K10D doesn't go to to ISO 3200, it maxes out at 1600.

That's something to consider if the OP wants to do much shooting indoors in lower light. That, and the "quality" of ISO 800 & 1600 are the biggest limitations of my K10D. The K-x is the one to stay with if high ISO shooting is an important part of your photography. Otherwise, I recommend that the OP seriously consider a used K10D or K20D, especially if you like physically using the larger body (the ergonomics of a camera is very important to me, and it sounds like to the OP, too).