Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I have a 50mm so that's why I was wondering if I needed the 43mm. I do see a lot of people here with both, and since my wife and I both shoot, and sometimes we fight over the 50mm so now we will have 2 lenses near the same focal length.

02-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the input!

Thanks for everyone's input!
I am getting nervous as the day gets closer...
I see your guys' lenses and now you must be dropping some big cash. I have bought all my stuff 1 piece at a time. The K10D being the most expensive around $1,000 and it was new with a warranty. This is $2,200 for used gear... givin' me butterflies. I just go to the reviews of the 31mm to easy my worries...

Randy's Checklist:
Check glass for scratches
no dust or fungus - a little dust is fine
focus smoothly
aperture blades, oily blades - look greasy to the naked eye.
attach them and take a few pictures - check for sharpness?
meet in public with friend

Is there anything else I should look for? I'll bring my K10D with me, when I take the picture with the lens, should I be looking for sharpness - anything else?
02-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
Thanks for the info, I have a 50mm so that's why I was wondering if I needed the 43mm. I do see a lot of people here with both, and since my wife and I both shoot, and sometimes we fight over the 50mm so now we will have 2 lenses near the same focal length.
You may find yourself fighting over which one gets Stuck, with the 50..

I see your guys' lenses and now you must be dropping some big cash. I have bought all my stuff 1 piece at a time. The K10D being the most expensive around $1,000 and it was new with a warranty. This is $2,200 for used gear... givin' me butterflies. I just go to the reviews of the 31mm to easy my worries...

Randy's Checklist:
focus smoothly

Is there anything else I should look for? I'll bring my K10D with me, when I take the picture with the lens, should I be looking for sharpness - anything else?
The K10d, historically, some samples, tend to be off focus with FA lenses. It isn't the case with all of them and it can be overcome if need be. With each lens, take photos both near and far, and in between at different apertures. Be reasonable in your expectations. In other words, don't take a picture of the US flag at 1000 feet with the 31mm expecting to discern every point on every star.

02-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Randy's Checklist:
focus smoothly

I'm a total newb but I've bought enough used stuff before and so I have the following recommendations:

make sure you take the time to properly test each piece of equipment.
do not just assume that because the 77 worked fine so will the 31.
to that end, make sure you have everything you need to properly test out the lenses: charged batteries and memory card for the camera. heck, maybe even a laptop (and appropriate gear) so you can download the images and give them a quick peak.

probably a good idea to let the seller know that you want to test each lense and view the photos before you purchase, so that he is not surprised.

good luck.

*DROOOOOOOL*