Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Advise on used package purchase.

Hi guys!

I usually just lurk my around here, love this site.

This time, I thought I would ask you guys, the pros, for some help.

I just told someone I would buy their pentax package from them.
Off of craigs list about 200miles from here. I will pick it up on Saturday.

Here is what I hope to buy:
pentax k2000 10.2mp DSLR
FA 31mm F/1.8 Limited black prime lens (with pouch),
FA 43mm F/1.9 Limited black prime lens (with pouch),
FA 77mm F/1.8 Limited black prime lens(with pouch)
AF200FG Flash
Pentax DSLR Crossover Bag
for $2200

First off, do you think that is a good deal?
Secondly, is there anything I should be looking for with these lenses?
Any major flaw that would make it a bad deal?

I asked him if they were made in Japan or Vietnam, he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I am still a little confused on that subject or how important that is. He says they were purchased around 2006/09. Can anyone tell me when did the Vietnamese versions start shipping?

He said he has used them very little and they are in Mint condition. Seems like a very nice guy.

Thanks for your input guys, I am a little weary of spending this kind of money! I have never spent this kind of cash on photo gear before. So I'm understandably nervous. I want the lenses, so I am excited as well.

Thanks for your input!
Randy

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T70  Photo 
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens section?

Perhaps I should have put this in the lens section, since the lenses are the most important part of the package. Sorry if I posted incorrectly!
02-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The lenses alone would run you about $2,000 used on the marketplace here. If they were purchased in 2006, they'll be made in Japan. Some people feel that the manufacturing quality was better in Japan. I'm not sure there's much to that thought.

When you inspect the lenses, make sure the glass is in good shape and that there is no dust or fungus inside the lenses. A few little specs of dust under the front element will probably not effect your image quality too much.

Make sure the lens focuses smoothly, and that the aperture blades open and close as they should. Check the blades to make sure there isn't any oil on them.

Mount the lenses on the camera and try them out.

I would recommend meeting the guy in a coffee shop (or something like that), and take a friend with you. You're going to be bringing a lot of money with you, and you want to make sure that you'll be safe.

Good luck! Looks like you found a great deal.
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply!

I appreciate the info. I will check as you say, writing myself a note.

Good advice $2,200 is a great paycheck for a thug, would be crying for a long time!

Could fungus take hold so quick? Of course I really don't know how old they are, but what prevents or causes fungus? Probably should be googling that.

Note to self: Check glass, no dust or fungus, focus smoothly, aperture blades, oily blades.

If the blades were oily would they just be slow to open and close?

Thanks again!!!
Randy

02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
I appreciate the info. I will check as you say, writing myself a note.

Good advice $2,200 is a great paycheck for a thug, would be crying for a long time!

Could fungus take hold so quick? Of course I really don't know how old they are, but what prevents or causes fungus? Probably should be googling that.

Note to self: Check glass, no dust or fungus, focus smoothly, aperture blades, oily blades.

If the blades were oily would they just be slow to open and close?

Thanks again!!!
Randy
It would be highly unlikely that the lenses would have oil or fungus. If the blades were oily, they would look greasy to the naked eye. To keep your lens' optics in good shape, keep them stored in dry places.
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
nice photo gallery!

impressive images, only problem... only 14?
I always take pics of light bulbs...
I'll bet that fluorescent image looks sharp printed out! Does it?

dry place, do you do anything with yours?
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA 43, 77, and 31... Drools.
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
droolin'

i have been drooling myself!
signed the petition in your sig. I know I have seen that, but must have never signed it.

02-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

With glass like that, I'd be looking at a better body to handle it.

Jason
02-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good Idea!

I'll let you tell my wife to get me a K-7.
To tell you the truth, I am still in love with my K10D. It makes me happy just to hold it. I often fall in love with inanimate objects. Maybe with some high class glass, I'll be able to see the shortcomings of 10mp.
I am with you though, good idea on a new body.
02-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll let you tell my wife to get me a K-7.
To tell you the truth, I am still in love with my K10D. It makes me happy just to hold it. I often fall in love with inanimate objects. Maybe with some high class glass, I'll be able to see the shortcomings of 10mp.
I am with you though, good idea on a new body.
No, I don't think you are going to see any shortcomings of the K10d with those lenses. It is very capable. To score the Three Amigos in one hit at a price you're willing to pay is a chance that doesn't come along often. Wait til you put your hands on those Limited Lenses. You'll see why they wear the moniker. One note on Dust.. Even in lenses like these, you are somewhat likely to see a spec or two inside. Don't let it bother you. Unless they've been sitting next to a humidifier on full blast, left in a hot car 24/7, dropped, banged, etc, you aren't likely to see any real issues with them. People who pay that kind of money for lenses tend to take very good care of them. Of course, there's always the exception..

I second the suggestion to take someone along. Then again, I trust No One!!

Show us some pics with your new glass...

02-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

And welcome to the "Three Amigos Club"

cheers

Neil
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the info!
I'll remember, a few specks of dust are ok.
I think he took good care of them, they look okay in the pictures.
I appreciate your compliments on the lenses, makes me confident about the lenses and my decision to purchase them.
I'll definitely post some pics.
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Everyone on this forums seems to have an impressive collection of lenses.
And you are no exception Neil. My plan was to buy the 77mm then the 31mm and I always wondered about the 43mm. Would it be necessary, since I am happy with the 50mm. I see you have both, is there a reason you have both? Are there situations that lend themselves to one or the other?
Thanks for the welcome! I was wondering if you put them together do they glow like the stones from indiana jones?
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Everyone on this forums seems to have an impressive collection of lenses.
And you are no exception Neil. My plan was to buy the 77mm then the 31mm and I always wondered about the 43mm. Would it be necessary, since I am happy with the 50mm. I see you have both, is there a reason you have both? Are there situations that lend themselves to one or the other?
Thanks for the welcome! I was wondering if you put them together do they glow like the stones from indiana jones?
When photographing people, I like to use prime lenses and work with a decent distance between the subject and me. Quite often, I find myself with not enough space for the 77, and the 31 is too short, and not too flattering for portrait. In those situation, the 43 comes in real handy.