Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Why Turn Shake Reduction Off?

Okay here's something I've been struggling to understand for years, first with my K10, and now with my K-7.

Why is it recommended that SR be turned off when using a tripod? I understand the theory, but what is the harm in leaving it on? Could it not help prevent shake if, let's say, it's a windy day? Or if you're shooting from a bridge that moves slightly?

I just can't comprehend I wouldn't want to have SR on at all times.

I Appreciate your input...

02-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
When you have your camera on a tripod, the Shake reduction feature will try to reduce shake when there is actually no shake. since it's on it will create slight vibrations causing unwanted blur to your shots.
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it can lead to blurred images when panning a shot because your panning will not be perfect and the camera is trying to adjust for the changes in acceleration which it interprets as shake as opposed to tracking a moving object.

That and tripod where higher frequency vibration can confuse it, and flash , especially when using fill flash can cause double imaging
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

My speculation is that shaking reduction works very much like you trying to balance a long stick on your hand. Your eyes have to keep watching which way the stick is falling and you move your hand in that direction to counteract the falling stick. The end results is that you are always moving your hand around to keep the stick from falling. Imagine the stick suddenly does not move, you will then have to keep your hand completely motionless to keep it from falling. And keeping your hand completely motionless is actually much harder then keeping your hand moving. In fact I would say that it is impossible for you to keep your hand 100% motionless for any length of time. That is probably how it is with the SR mechanism.

Last edited by ma318; 02-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Igilligan

You can always turn it off...

It does not really work that well anyway... You are better off just learning how to hold the camera steady.
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
It does not really work that well anyway... You are better off just learning how to hold the camera steady.
Baloney. I've tried switching back and forth and the SR really does help me get decent shots (hand held results).
02-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

It really depends on the design, but some systems will "creep" when the camera is motionless.

Canon compacts were very good on this. I can take 15-second exposures on a tripod with or without IS and the images would look identical. However, creep seemed to be a problem on Canon lenses, and Canon recommended that the IS system be shut off. Apparently, their latest IS design can detect when the lens is motionless and it disables the IS system.

I just tried a few 30-second exposures with my K-x with SR on and there’s no phantom shake or creep in them. The K-x seems to work just fine on a tripod with SR enabled.

02-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Interesting... I think I'm going to try some experiments. In a perfect world, though, I'd keep SR on at all times.
02-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #9

Why not just use the 2 sec timer when you are using a tripod? The 2 sec timer will automatically disable SR and also perform mirror lockup.
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
Why not just use the 2 sec timer when you are using a tripod? The 2 sec timer will automatically disable SR and also perform mirror lockup.
'Cause then I have to wait 2 seconds for the picture!

Obviously that would be the smart thing to do, but it's just nice to know that I have ability to quickly stabilize the camera against a street light or fence and take a 2-second exposure and not worry about the SR system ruining the shot.
02-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
Not on the K10D - this is a nice feature on the newer camera models that don't have the SR switch.

I always shoot with delay and remote shutter when using a tripod. A couple of times, I forgot to disable SR on my K10D and it gave me some really scary vibrations when mounted on a tripod - now I think that recommendation is more than just about avoiding a bad photo.
02-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

I don`t see what`s so hard about it. Pentax design the cameras, Pentax make the cameras, Pentax say turn the SR off when the camera is on a tripod or when you are panning a moving subject. I just take their word for it.
02-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Not on the K10D
Read page 68 of your user manual.

PS I'm not saying that your observations are not correct.
02-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Why turn SR off?

Because you don't always need it - if you've got steady hands, if you've got a tripod, if you are using a fast enough shutter speed, etc.

Use it when you need it, turn it off when you don't. It's a convenience, not a necessity.
02-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Use it when you need it, turn it off when you don't. It's a convenience, not a necessity.
Yes, it's a convenience, but it's decidedly inconvenient to have to remember to turn it on and off.