Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
KX - interval shutter release??

Hey everyone, first post! Anyway, the K-x is my first DSLR so please excuse the noob questions. Anyway, I had no idea that the K-x did not have any hook up for a cable shutter release when I purchased it, I kind of thought it was standard on DSLRs nowadays. My question is: are there any interval shutter releases that would work with the IR on the K-x?

I have an awesome spot where the Milky Way is visible and I really want to try getting many (as in like 500 shots at about 15 seconds each or so, like I said, im new so Id have to mess around with it to see what actually works best) shots and then blending them together to see the trails. I know this is made easier by an interval remote but i can not find any that work with IR and I would really prefer not to stay up all night and fire it manually with, say, the Remote F. And, as far as I know, continuous drive cannot be used with the remote either. Am I basically out of luck or are there any alternatives to doing what I want?

02-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-x timelapse
02-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #3

I posted a solution to that a little while ago, but it got moved to some backwater section of this site and I can not find it now. Anyway. Two potential solutions in addition to the ones in the link above. Make a bracket to attach a mechanical cable release: diy mechanical shutter release for pentax kx (or any camera) scanar and then just leave it to hold the shutter down, or just wrap a rubber band and something to hold the shutter down. That solution works best for me for star trails. Second option, cobble togehter a wired and an infrared remote release for better programmable control creating a programmable remote shutter release for Pentax Kx scanar
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #4

Why does this video mention both interval and time-lapse?!?

04-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ambienthousewife Quote
I posted a solution to that a little while ago, but it got moved to some backwater section of this site and I can not find it now.
Hello, I found your very excellent solution for you - here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/88559-diy-progr...remote-kx.html

Nass
04-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There is actually one being sold and it is based on the IR and not cable.
It has been posted here on the forums fairly recently.
I have to check out where I read that but it is commercially available.
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's the thread about the remote: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/97069-k-x-remote-control.html
Here's the site where they sell the interval remote: More about the Pclix LT

04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The gentled auto IR intervalometer works a treat on the K-x and is quite cheap. MUCH cheaper than the PClix alternative and just as good.

Full details in this recent forum thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94158-pentax-k-x-i...tried-one.html
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The gentled auto IR intervalometer works a treat on the K-x and is quite cheap. MUCH cheaper than the PClix alternative and just as good.

Full details in this recent forum thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94158-pentax-k-x-i...tried-one.html
So, where is it? How come the thread you posted doesn't have a link to the site too?
Post the link of the website so we can take a look at what you are talking about.
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
So, where is it? How come the thread you posted doesn't have a link to the site too?
Post the link of the website so we can take a look at what you are talking about.
You need to clean your reading glasses.

There were no less than TWO links in the very first post in the thread I referred to straight to the site of the people who make the device in question.

To save you the cognitive strain of re-reading that paragraph, the link to the gentled auto product is here:

gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options

I have bought the product in question and it works fine on both my K-x and K200D.

BTW, I linked across to the thread in question to try and minimise the endless duplicate posts that have evolved on this topic.