Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Remote control on DS2 body

Other than the fact that one is wireless, is there any difference in functionality between the wireless "Remote Control F" and the wired "Cable Switch CS-205" both made by Pentas. I'll be using it with as Pentax DS2body? Are they both simply a shutter release? Or are there other funtions they can perform?

Also, for still photography, can I achieve the same results using the "2 second delay" funtion of the DS2?

Thanks

06-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Remote Control F which is basically a shutter release with AF function (chosen on the camera). I seldom use it as I have found 2s timer with MLP works better on tripod. But if you are doing self-portrait or group photos, being able to fire the camera (must pointing at it from the front) a few metres away should be useful sometimes (can also do delay).
07-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #3

I believe th K10D is the only Pentax DSLR that can be activated from both the front and the rear of the camera. The others can only be activated from the front avoiding the runaround for a self portrait. The cable switch has a short cable so the runaround would still be necessary for self portraits. For other types of photography, it is a matter of personal preference athough the remote is usually less expensive.
07-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used the IR remote (I don't take portraits) but occasionally use the wired remote. I used it Saturday with a telescope for the Venus-Saturn Conjunction where the two second delay was not long enough for the vibration of pressing the shutter to die down. The cable remote kept my hands away from the camera, the 2 seconds delay let the mirror slap die down.

Another use is with an extension I can sit in a chair far enough from the camera to not scare away birds.

07-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wireless remotes (or a long enough wired remote) would also come in handy for nature photography. You might be able to position your camera near a burrow/nest/feeding station and capture shots you wouldn't be able to otherwise