Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

K-x lens calibration, how?

Hey all, i'm having some front focusing problems with my kx, was wondering how to i fix this. thanks

02-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

You can find usefull info about lense adjustment here
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clipsed Quote
Hey all, i'm having some front focusing problems with my kx, was wondering how to i fix this. thanks
Try to back focus?
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Instructions for adjusting the K-x autofocus

To adjust the autofocus point you have to use a system that wasn't meant for consumers to use. It's fairly safe in that it's not doing anything drastic to the camera, like rewriting firmware (which is the most risky thing you could do to the camera.)

First you must download the following file and place it in the root directory of your flash card. Right-click on the link and select "Save Target As..."

http://home.roadrunner.com/~graystar/MODSET.492

This file is nothing more than the words "[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]" with a carriage-return + linefeed at the end. However, you can't make it yourself without a hexadecimal editor.

Once you have the file in place you turn hold down the AV button and turn the camera on. You'll see the following menu. DEBUG MODE should already be selected. Press Left to select EN. Press OK.

The screen will go blank (or might say DEBUG MODE.) Press the menu button. You'll see the regular menu. Press the Right button until you get to Custom 1. Then press once more to open the TEST MODE menu.

Navigate to AF TEST and press Left. You'll see the AF TEST screen.

Navigate to the FocusCorr function. Use the Left and Right buttons to set a correction (read more on corrections below.) Then press OK. The screen will go blank.

Press the MENU button and navigate back to the TEST MODE menu. Select DEBUG MODE DISABLE and press Left. Select DISABLE and click OK. Turn the camera off.

Setting Corrections. There are two things to know. First, which way is which. A negative correction adds front-focus and a positive correction adds back-focus. So if your camera is front-focusing then use a positive correction to move the focus point further back.

The second thing to know is that the correction is cumulative...that is, it adds the new correction to the existing correction. If you make a +10 correction, then go back in, the camera will display +10 but the bar always starts at 0. if you set the correction to +10, then the next time you enter debug mode the camera will say +20.

Good Luck!

03-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I realize this thread is super old but when I went in to adjust my k-x this evening I had to go back to this post to remember how to do it. Anyways my camera was back-focusing and a positive correction fixed it whereas a negative correction made it much worse. I think perhaps you have it backwards in your instructions?