Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Bring Back TETHERED Shooting

The loss of ability to shoot tethered on the K-x and especially on the K-7 is a really big deal, especially for pro/semi-pro people, and is probably holding a lot of people back from getting a K-7 which would otherwise would be a clear winner.

How do we organize and petition the Pentax company to bring back that capability?

How can we make the company respond to our feedback and improve the camera substantially, while likely only releasing a firmware update?

Any suggestions/advice?
Pentaxians unite for a better K-7!

02-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just thinking that if Pentax had some revenue to spend on producing these firmware wishlists, more of the requests might actually get done. What do you think? See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90449-what-would-y...es-if-all.html

Thanks
02-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I was just thinking that if Pentax had some revenue to spend on producing these firmware wishlists, more of the requests might actually get done. What do you think?
That's an interesting idea.

Pentax should set up a kind of auction site where twice a year users could bid on various new firmware options, and the one with the most bids gets implemented. Bidders then pay a modest amount via Paypal, and get special VIP edition of the firmware.

It could work. People would then only submit firmware requests they really cared about, and Pentax would have a clear financial incentive to crank out extra firmware features above and beyond the normal firmware bug fixes that make up their current firmware release cycle.
02-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tethered shooting with the K10/20 was not a very rewarding experience. Quite clunky and didn't seem to work very well. I am hopeful that with the 645D in the works that Pentax will significantly rework their software and that will filter down to lower levels of camera. Don't know that the Kx will be able to shoot tethered (although I don't see why not), but certainly the semi pro level should have that availability.

02-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EliotK Quote
The loss of ability to shoot tethered on the K-x and especially on the K-7 is a really big deal, especially for pro/semi-pro people, and is probably holding a lot of people back from getting a K-7 which would otherwise would be a clear winner.
Pentaxians unite for a better K-7!
Can you please explain what you mean by tethered shooting?
Just the ability to operate shutter remotely or full control of all parameters?
And tethered to what device - remote control or computer?

Thanks,
Stefan
02-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being able to connect the computer to the camera and see images on the computer screen as shot. Great for studio work but the K10/20 system was poorly implemented.
02-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As it worked on the K10/20, you could connect your camera to a computer. You could not focus or operate the camera with the computer, but you could immediately see the results of your photo. As I say, I tried a few times and it felt like more work than benefit and I didn't continue using it.

02-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Being able to connect the computer to the camera and see images on the computer screen as shot. Great for studio work but the K10/20 system was poorly implemented.
Ditto (I wrote up a long post in the Dear Pentax thread on how I thought it should work).
Better than nothing, though the Eye Fi Pro would be a good alternative if you just want to download images...
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have been longing for this one too since I think it would be very useful for studio photographers.
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would really like tethered with my ist-DL. Would be fantastic for time lapse.
02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank`s to K-7s lack of tethering and mandatory DFS, I still shoot with K100D, but have a nice 52" bravia and blue-ray to look at.
I was on B&H with my shopping cart loaded and my finger on the trigger but I backed off, maybe the next model.
Amazing how little details can persuade a purchasing decision.

Cheers, Mike.
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Thank`s to K-7s lack of tethering and mandatory DFS, I still shoot with K100D, but have a nice 52" bravia and blue-ray to look at.
I was on B&H with my shopping cart loaded and my finger on the trigger but I backed off, maybe the next model.
Amazing how little details can persuade a purchasing decision.

Cheers, Mike.
Pentax saved you money then!
02-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Almost did not get the K7 because it does not have tethered shooting.
I am keeping my K10D for situations where it is required.

The Pentax Remote Assistant software was a complete steaming pile, but is better than nothing at all!

I am hopefully that the new eye-fi X2 Pro will be compatible with Pentax and not suffer whatever issues occur with the older versions. (From what I hear, not sure as they wont really say what the problem is, but the eye-fi may not allow the Pentax cameras to know that they should not go to sleep and therefore the cards cannot complete their jobs. Hopefully with instant dumping of photos, that will not be an issue...) The makers of eye-fi cards seem pretty confident that the new card will work well.
Fingers crossed.
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Pentax saved you money then!
NO, I blew my greenbacks on frivolous video stuff, my kids like it thou.

Cheers, Mike.
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Wow, as I am new to Pentax (again, K1000 in my past - like everyone) I was surprised to read the K7 didn't support this. Another reason to keep the 10D until the generation or two.

I can't think of any technical reason for this, its strictly firmware/software and a huge step backwards. Its worse the removing the AF motors from your bodies (Nikon) or leaving large holes in your product line (Canon), its just a firware function.