Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I use the set from Expert Shield, ordered on eBay, went on well and fit is great on both protectors.
The kit includes one for the back screen also one for the top display
No noticeable loss thru the display.
Len

04-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #17

My first DSLR did not get a screen protector. I wear my camera every day when I leave my apartment. When I gave that camera to my sister a few years later she pointed at the horribly scratched LCD. Although, I'd never noticed them and they didn't effect the operation at all I had to agree it was scratched, a lot. My guess is that grit from the roadway blew up, adnered to my shirt and scratched the LCD as the camera moved.

Now I use the Giotto glass LCD protector. It works fine and being glass has no scratches.
04-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
Now I use the Giotto glass LCD protector. It works fine and being glass has no scratches.
The Giottos would be my first choice, but I don't think they make one for the K-7. But I haven't checked in the last month or more, so perhaps they've added one to their lineup.

The ACMAXX (sp?) may be the direction I go. . . .
04-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I vote for the ACMAXX screen covers. The seller that I purchased from on ebay is very fast shipper and when one showed up cracked. He replaced no questions and made sure it arrived as quickly as the first one.

04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Littlejohn Quote
What do you use as a screen protector? I had one from Optex and it didn't last 2 weeks on vac, the corners started catching and soon it was off....followed by a couple of scratches (musta been the zip line)....

But is it inevitable to get scratches? Should one really concern themselves if the camera is used in nature? How easy is it to change the glass every so often.

I do like to keep my stuff in pristine shape, but sometimes its more trouble then its worth.

(it was the one think I liked about the D5000 tho)
If I'm thinking of the same thing (a film that you cut and peel and stick) I'm using the same thing. The key to it is to make sure the screen is completely spotless and (skin) oil free. Don't worry about an air bubble, it won't annoy you nearly as much as a scratched up screen. I cut mine just slightly smaller than the screen instead of trying to get it exact. I've yet to have one peel off on it's own and cleaning the screen becomes a matter of wiping it off with my shirt. Applied correctly, it really does work. Unless they are deep Scratches however, they typically don't show when the screen is On. It's just annoying to look at when the screen is off.

04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I tried a stick-on protector for my Optio, but it came off first time the camera went in my pocket.
07-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter

bumping an older thread to say I bought a GGS LCD screen protector for my K20D and it is excellent. Made from real optical glass (NOT plastic) and fits perfectly on the camera. It is 0.5mm thick, so protrudes ever so slightly but still appears stock on the camera.
The best part is that it cost $6.89 with free shipping from one of the Chinese vendors on eBay.
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
bumping an older thread to say I bought a GGS LCD screen protector for my K20D and it is excellent. Made from real optical glass (NOT plastic) and fits perfectly on the camera. It is 0.5mm thick, so protrudes ever so slightly but still appears stock on the camera.
The best part is that it cost $6.89 with free shipping from one of the Chinese vendors on eBay.
I agree
Glass>Plastic

07-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I tried a stick-on protector for my Optio, but it came off first time the camera went in my pocket.
If you don't get it laid down perfectly flat (on a Clean screen), it Will peel off. On the other hand, if you get it on there right, it lasts a good long time. I've yet to keep a camera for more than 2 years but each one I've shipped off still had the original (that I installed) film on the screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
What has always concerned me about these is that they could shatter if they get bumped or crack if you press too hard while cleaning. Possible?

07-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The GGS screen protector is much better than the usual plastic overlays. A little more care is needed during installation but it is much clearer and offers better physical protection.
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

What has always concerned me about these is that they could shatter if they get bumped or crack if you press too hard while cleaning. Possible?

if that is a concern, just buy a second one as backup. at that price, why not?
as far as the risk of broken glass, the glass sheet is one of 6 laminated layers, so i imagine if it cracks, the broken pieces would not go everywhere.
i pressed hard to install mine, much harder than i'd ever clean it, so i am not worried about it breaking when i wipe it.
07-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #27

I use cheap walmart screen protecters that come in a pack of 5.

Works well. I could careless if I had it on or not.
07-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Thanks, Mike, I'll keep that in mind. Right now, the plastic sheet is working nicely. Have it on both screens as well as the screens on my flash units. $10 took care of both flashes, 4 cameras, and there's still some to spare.