Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

What "imge tone" setting(s) do you use and why?

"IMAGE TONE" setting on K20D.

Wonder what others use - Bright, Natural,
Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant and Monochrome and how they set hue, sat, contrast and sharpness.

Why? For what purpose?
Any other thoughts on it's use.

Thanks.

02-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
"IMAGE TONE" setting on K20D.

Wonder what others use - Bright, Natural,
Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant and Monochrome and how they set hue, sat, contrast and sharpness.

Why? For what purpose?
Any other thoughts on it's use.
I generally use Natural with saturation turned down a notch and contrast turned up one. I may decrease the contrast in harsh sun and increase in dull lighting. (I tend to prefer less-saturated images, and more contrast even over detail.)

Bright is way too apt to blow the red channel, and messes up bright blue objects in artificial lighting. I haven't analyzed Vibrant enough, but I suspect it falls prey to similar things.

I rarely shoot with the monochrome setting, but if the light is tricky I sometimes hit the RAW+ button and then use that mode in in-camera RAW conversion.
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There is no more one image tone that is perfect for all images than there is one aperture that is perfect for all images. and because it is next to impossible to fogure out which will be best for each image before shooting, I find it far easier to adjust the image tone parameters in PP.
02-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that the image tone setting only applies to in-camera JPEG or RAW files processed by the software that came with your camera. Ditto for the sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc.. If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw, these settings are ignored.

Steve

02-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There is no more one image tone that is perfect for all images than there is one aperture that is perfect for all images. and because it is next to impossible to fogure out which will be best for each image before shooting, I find it far easier to adjust the image tone parameters in PP.
I agree wtih your statement and perhaps it would be useful to mention never to crank up the camera setting as to not overdoing it, i.e.: too much saturation, too much sharpness, and so on.

JP
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Ditto. Shoot raw and adjust in pp for desired effect
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If shooting JPGs in color, I usually set tone (what the K20D manual calls "filter effect") to VIBRANT. For JPG+RAW it doesn't matter, but I might use that Vibrant JPG as a reference when processing the RAW -- am I smarter than the rendering engine?

If shooting JPGs in B&W, I may vary the tone per the subject (green for foliage, yellow or orange for streets with people, red for clouds and contrast, etc) when using LiveView, or again as a reference for RAW processing. Or if I use an actinic (blue-violet) or other optical filter on the lens to shoot JPGs, I'll adjust the tone to suit. Depending on the optical actinic filter, the best tone might be Magenta or Blue or Cyan.

NOTE: When shooting in B&W with a colored optical filter, it's necessary to set the white balance. This is no problem in RAW processing. Shooting JPGs only (filtered) requires manually setting the WB on the camera, which I find nearly impossible in some situations, such as shooting with a visible-light-blocking IR filter. The screen becomes unusable. Bother.
02-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #8

Shooting RAW+ , Portrait Mode (for the JPGs).
RAW processed via LR and then compared to JPG straight from camera, 99.9% choose output from LR.

*main reason that I'm still using JPG (RAW+) is for easier exploring photos on my cheap netbook.

02-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter

RAW, white balance

After a few days shooting JPGs with my K-7, I switched to shooting RAW exclusively and processing the DNG images in Photoshop CS3. Which means that none of the in-camera parameters apply.

But . . . that goes for White Balance, too, right? That's what I was reading yesterday. Or did I misunderstand that?
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Correct. The WB setting chosen in the camera will affect the default conversion if you don't alter it in PP, but you can override it with no problem. Same is true of other settings, BTW - sharpness settings etc *are* looked at by many RAW processing programs in setting their own defaults, but you can easily override them.