Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Is it the camera or the operator?

I recently shot a wedding (my second) and I missed the kiss because I had to use a flash and by the time the flash flashed, and the shutter shut, the kiss was over. I use a Pentax ist*D and had a 50mm 1.4 lens on it. I was only using the on camera flash.

I can't remember the ss and f-stop, but if you need that info to answer, I'll look it up when I get home. I know I had it upm as fast as I could get it with the f-stop I was using to avoid blowing the picture out.

Also along these lines, does the K10 support a faster ss when attaching the external flash? I can't get past 90 with the ist, and was wondering if I would be better off purchasing the K10.

Thanks anyone who is willing to help.

07-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Default p mode + pttl flash seems always to go to a shutterspeed of 1/180, with high speed sync flash (FP on a sigma super 500) I haven't had problems going to 1/1000. (takes about 6s to load the flash when fully discharged)

Might be that I'm not the person to comment because I'm really new to this flash business, and am still learning when to and when not to
07-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for responding Ronny. I actually use manual, TV or AV modes only. I have never even tried the p mode, and don't think I am interested in doing so right now. According to the manual, max ss is 90 on this camera when using the external flash mounted on the camera. I don't remember reading about getting it higher by using a different mode. I'll get my manual back out when I get home, but it seems I remember reading that there isn't a way to override it and sync it to a higher speed while the flash is mounted. What I remember, I can sync it higher if I use a sync cord and don't mount it, but I haven't masterd shooting with one hand and holding a flash with the other, and I am TERRIBLE with a tripod!
07-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Re: Is it the camera or the operator?

My guess is that your flash fully discharge on your shot prior to the kiss. It takes approximately 6 second for the flash to recharge if it was fully discharge.

You should be able to sync to 1/125 of a second using the *istD the manual mode. If you are shooting in the P-TTL mode with a dedicated Pentax flash the camera will automatically set the speed. It will usually be slower than 1/125 of a second. My recommendation is to buy a 540 and shoot in the P-TTL mode. I would not recommend the 360 due to it's weak battery door.

07-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I honestly don'y think the shutter speed was the issue. A few possibly I can think of are, 1) the flash was still charging, 2) the P-TTL preflash caused the delay, 3) the AF-S was trying to lock focus, 4) you were messing with the setting instead of doing it upfront? For wedding, you really have to think upfront and ready. When the moment comes up, you just take the shot w/o thinking. A moment of hestitation would be all it takes to miss the shots. That's also why some use A flash instead of TTL with preflash.
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses. I don't believe the SS was the problem either. I looked @ the picture I did get (right after the kiss) and the ss was 180. Like I said, I was using the on camera flash, not the external mounted. I had the camera pointed and the focus locked, and as soon as the preacher said "You may kiss the bride", I pushed it all the way down, so that wasn't the issue. By the time the flash lit up, then the shutter clicked, it was over. I'm not sure the flash was still charging 'cause I hadn't used it for a couple of minutes before the kiss part. Perhaps I am not remembering things correctly, so thank you for giving me these things to think about next time.
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if the *ist D has it, but in the custom functions of the K110D there's a "release when charging" which will release the shutter while the built-in flash is still charging. If you were using the on camera flash, that would be my first thought as to the cause.

-Dan

07-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #8

Is it the camera or the operator? Neither!!

Sheesh guys, this problem is easy to identify and solve.. can not blame the camera, or the operator... it was the groom at fault, what kind of wedding is it that has a 1 second kiss anyway... even a 6 second kiss is a bit slow.. if it was the bride at fault, then I feel sorry for the groom... the honeymoon is over...

Of course hte photographer could have been kind and asked the groom to do it again, most grooms I have told that to have leapt at the chance, and the guests love it too...

Phil
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
Thank you for your responses. I don't believe the SS was the problem either. I looked @ the picture I did get (right after the kiss) and the ss was 180. Like I said, I was using the on camera flash, not the external mounted. I had the camera pointed and the focus locked, and as soon as the preacher said "You may kiss the bride", I pushed it all the way down, so that wasn't the issue. By the time the flash lit up, then the shutter clicked, it was over. I'm not sure the flash was still charging 'cause I hadn't used it for a couple of minutes before the kiss part. Perhaps I am not remembering things correctly, so thank you for giving me these things to think about next time.

Sounds like the P-TTL preflash issue. Definitely a situation for A flash.
07-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want to know why you were shooting a wedding with the built in flash.
07-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also shot an outdoor afternoon wedding on the weekend and pondered over what setup I should use. My inventory only included a Woctron twin flash and simple Pentax AF220 on top of the built-in K100D flash.

What I ended up deciding on was using the built-in flash dialed down to FEC -1.7 to add just a touch of light to the incident light already there. Dave, without having an external P-TTL flash would you use any other flash in an outdoor setting?

Indoors, of course I used my Woctron for the tilt and swivel function and that was what was needed - at full power I had to go ISO 1600 to shoot with my DA18-55 and ISO 800 with my FA50/1.4 - I was caught out a couple of times, though - opening up the aperture to allow the most light in and optimise exposure meant that some of my shots didn't get everyone in some shots in focus enough. Bummer... couldn't see the problem on screen to reshoot - live and learn...
07-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will leave the use of internal flash at a wedding to others.

I use an AF500FTZ flash all the time with my *istD and shoot at 1/150 in manual mode, using the internal metering to decide how much fill effect I want.

With this combination, I am shooting in TTL mode as the AF500FTZ does notsupport P-TTL.

I have no complaints with this combination and the AF500FTZ has a great recycle time.
07-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I want to know why you were shooting a wedding with the built in flash.
Though I think I get the message, and this is a retoracial question meant to point out my stupidity, I am going to answer by saying because even with my 1.4 lens, I still needed more light. I have a Promaster FTD 7000 external flash, and it has an EXTREMELY slow recycle time, and like I said, I can't get a ss past 90 when I use it.

I won't get into defending myself further, you can slam me if you wish. The fact remains that I did it, and would like to say I will never do it again, but...
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone, and matix, don't think I didn't think about doing that!!!
07-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I will leave the use of internal flash at a wedding to others.

I use an AF500FTZ flash all the time with my *istD and shoot at 1/150 in manual mode, using the internal metering to decide how much fill effect I want.

With this combination, I am shooting in TTL mode as the AF500FTZ does notsupport P-TTL.

I have no complaints with this combination and the AF500FTZ has a great recycle time.
I'm a little confused. I just googled this flash, and it came up for $13. Is that right? I paid over $100 for the unit I am currently using and I HATE it. Well, I just don't use it because I hat it so much. It seems to me that big of a price difference should get me a MUCH better product. Did I get duped?