Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
alphalt

I'm still concerned with the dust

Hello,

I thought about one hour before posting. Just don't want to look like paranoid to you, but I'm just curious. Ok I had bought O-ICK1, cleaned sensor and now I'm happy. BUT.... I have looked at the methods of finding dust and made one more picture at F40, ISO200 and shot not to the white LCD, but covered lenses with white plastic and made a shot. Picture looked pretty good, but when I made autoleveling of colors with software I saw 2 more dirt particles. I've tried to remove them 3 more times with O-ICK1, but unsuccessfully. I think these particles are not welded, but are just too small as it is impossible to see them without software. So ok it sounds very paranoid. I know. But I want to ask you because you have very big experience: what is acceptable dust on sensor ? And is it possible to keep sensor 'ideally' clean ? Or should I just forget about dust and remember only when it covers half of picture ? What's your experience ?

02-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you see the dust in your normal photos? If you don't then don't worry about it.
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
Do you see the dust in your normal photos? If you don't then don't worry about it.
+1

02-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only agressively cleaned ,my *istD sensor once in 6 years

I use an artic butterfly to keep the sensors clean (relatively speaking) and check about every 2-3 months, or if I notice a big splotch on a photo.

don't worry about it, they can be cloned out, go out and shoot

02-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Hello,

I thought about one hour before posting. Just don't want to look like paranoid to you, but I'm just curious. Ok I had bought O-ICK1, cleaned sensor and now I'm happy. BUT.... I have looked at the methods of finding dust and made one more picture at F40, ISO200 and shot not to the white LCD, but covered lenses with white plastic and made a shot. Picture looked pretty good, but when I made autoleveling of colors with software I saw 2 more dirt particles. I've tried to remove them 3 more times with O-ICK1, but unsuccessfully. I think these particles are not welded, but are just too small as it is impossible to see them without software. So ok it sounds very paranoid. I know. But I want to ask you because you have very big experience: what is acceptable dust on sensor ? And is it possible to keep sensor 'ideally' clean ? Or should I just forget about dust and remember only when it covers half of picture ? What's your experience ?

If you have to go to f40 and do the autolevels to see it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just enjoy using your camera.

02-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
Amen, brother!

To the OP, you'll drive yourself crazy chasing every potential problem out there. Just use your camera, and if the shots aren't to your liking, then do something about it.
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
alphalt

I was affraid that you just call me too paranoid. But your answers was informative and warm. Thank you ! Now as it my sensor is clean I will go and do some good photos Thanks again !

02-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
alphalt

I was just wondering can I upload picture somewhere for you to take a look and say your oppinion ? I have JPG and DNG. Don't know which is better but both are too big. If someone could look at it please tell me where to upload. Thanks.
02-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #9

I've used the O-ICK1 a couple of times on both of my K10D bodies in conjunction with the Visible Dust Sensor Loupe. It worked fine but I rarely see dust on my images anyway. I almost never shoot at apertures smaller than f/11.

Sometimes I check the bodies by shooting a blank wall at f/22. I can see a faint smudge near the corner on one of the bodies and a couple of small dust marks on the other. They are not visible on any of my images so I don't bother trying to clean them off.

When I first contemplated buying my first DSLR, I must confess that I was really paranoid about the dust issue. Not anymore. It's simply a non-issue for me.

Richard
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
alphalt

Maybe its too paranoid because I'm pretty new in DSLRs ? It would be nice to see other users shots as well as I want to post mine but I don't know if its ok to post 12 MB here .
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If you have to go to f40 and do the autolevels to see it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just enjoy using your camera.

+1

F/40 is an unrealistic and sometimes impossible aperture to use in nearly any type of day to day photography - studio or outdoors. If you can't see anything up to, say, f/16 (more realistic), then forget about it. I haven't checked my sensor for months, but as long as the images are OK with no dull patches, I tend not to worry about it.

Enjoy your cam!

Paul
02-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Maybe its too paranoid because I'm pretty new in DSLRs ? It would be nice to see other users shots as well as I want to post mine but I don't know if its ok to post 12 MB here .
Of course not. I think the acceptable limit is somewhere around 500kB nowadays (lower is still preferred).

Take your raw file and process it:
Resize a factor 3 or 4 (horizontal should be below 1000 (preferably 800) pixels) and save as jpeg with somewhere between 90 and 96% quality; this should reduce the filesize enough for posting. You can resize more or use a lower quality if you don't manage to get the size low enough.
You can also crop (cut out) a part of the image and convert to jpeg (e.g. if you want to show an area in the photo where something is wrong)

If you start a new thread or use the 'post reply' or 'quote' buttons (not the 'quick reply'), there are additional options below the submit button. One option is to 'attach photos or files'

PS when you attach a photo, the limit for jpegs is 700kB so my 500kB was not to far of.
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
alphalt

Hello,

I don't resize the picture but made a crop instead to see 'real' dust spots I'm concerned about.
Attached Files
File Type: zip F40_ISO200.JPG.zip (800.9 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by alphalt; 02-13-2010 at 12:07 PM.
02-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

Thanks
You just reminded me to clean my monitor.
02-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
alphalt

Thanks ! Still it was unsuccessful upload. It was resampled and if you download it from website it will be not possible to make autolevel on it. I'll try to upload it as zip file.

Ok, I've changed it to zip. Should be ok now to look.