Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Another vote for the Arctic Butterfly. Top kit.

02-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
alphalt

Hi,

Arctic butterfly is dry cleaning kit and I don't think it will remove welded dust as in my case. I have not much experience in DSLRs and cleaning, but somehow I think sticky tool will remove more dust if compare to other dry cleaning. I think its because its sticky and it will not move dust around the sensor. And its possible to take some welded dust as well with it.
I've checked my dust I can't remove with DNG format and it is more smaller than on JPG, so it seems that particle is too small (and welded maybe).
02-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Hi,

Arctic butterfly is dry cleaning kit and I don't think it will remove welded dust as in my case. I have not much experience in DSLRs and cleaning, but somehow I think sticky tool will remove more dust if compare to other dry cleaning. I think its because its sticky and it will not move dust around the sensor. And its possible to take some welded dust as well with it.
I've checked my dust I can't remove with DNG format and it is more smaller than on JPG, so it seems that particle is too small (and welded maybe).
No, The AB will not remove the Stuck on dust. In fact, in many cases, all it does with Loose dust is slide it around on the sensor screen. Now that I've said that, there'll be a dozen people crawling out of the woodwork swearing it never fails. For my experience, I have a $90 spinning paint brush with a pretty LED on it that just slides the loose stuff around. The only thing that's ever worked as advertised for me is the Pentax cleaning kit.

02-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
alphalt

Hi,

I've never tried other cleaning kits, but Pentax one working fine. Yes there are some microscopic dust particles thats impossible to remove, but they have no influence on photos. I think later I'll use E2 with swabs and make perfect clean

02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every now and then I'll use the Dust Alert feature on my K20D by taking a shot against a white wall or the blue sky. On the two occasions I've actually had dust, I simply used one of those little hand-held air blowers to gently blow the dust off. Some of them come with a brush, but remove the brush first; you shouldn't actually need to contact the sensor with anything. If air somehow won't blow off the dust, then and ONLY then use something like O-ICK1.

If you're having persistent dust problems, maybe you should change the way and/or the environment in which you change lenses.
02-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
alphalt

Hello,

You have normal and not paranoid way of solving problems. And I agree with you 100%. I'm just new to photography and affraid of dust very much ! Ok, I've cleaned with O-ICK1, I'm happy and sensor is like new. Have some dust left on sensor, but its impossible to see on "normal" photos even with F40. So in the end I'm happy with dust handling.
Yesterday has happened interesting thing. I took some photos outside and didn't changed lens. I came home, checked again with F40 and saw HUGE dust particle on the sensors. Looked at photos and it was impossible to see ! So I realized how much I'm paranoid. So I took my O-ICK1 and again happy. I think I'm getting more mature in photography
02-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #22

My $0.02

Let me throw in my $0.02.

After my first big shooting expedition with my new K-x, I was truly disappointed to find a bunch of shots with small fuzzy dots, usually not more than 3-4, and typically on the bright background such as the sky. The thing is, I shoot mostly outdoors, and sometimes I have to swap lenses outdoors, fully aware that it is not the best thing to do.

So these dots drove me nuts. I tried built-in dust alert and dust removal to no avail. Those dots would show up only on the photos, but not in dust alert mode. The dust removal mode didn't seem to help at all. I tried blowing the sensor with air, with partial success. I called Pentax support. They suggested sending in the camera for inspection and cleaning, which I declined hoping that there is a better solution and deciding I wouldn't like to ship my camera, then wait for several weeks to get it back. I started looking into sensor cleaning tools, but decided that it might be too risky.

After this happened several times, I just gave up and decided to edit the pics. Yes, it takes some time, but spares me frustration and irritation while shooting and seeing those dots or psychotically searching for them on every frame. Photoshop does a very good job, it's easy to do it and doesn't take that much time (unless you have hundreds of messed up shots or too many of these dots on each one). To my surprise, the latest version of google's Picasa does the job equally well, probably even quicker and easier (and it's free).

02-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Hi,

Don't underestimate it Alpha.

I only got mine a few weeks ago and it removed all visible dust, including two specs and a small hair which have been on my sensor since last summer and have survived two wet cleans.
02-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #24

see reviews

Arctic got very mixed reviews on amazon. I'd be scared to use it. Another similar product got better reviews, but I'd still be very nervous to touch the sensor directly:
Amazon.com: D-SLR BrushTM - Sensor Cleaning Brush for 1.6x w/ChamberSwab®: Everything Else
02-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the Pentax red lollipop. It works like a charm.

Interesting to know the Leica factory also appears to use it.
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maxmagnum Quote
Arctic got very mixed reviews on amazon. I'd be scared to use it. Another similar product got better reviews, but I'd still be very nervous to touch the sensor directly:
Amazon.com: D-SLR BrushTM - Sensor Cleaning Brush for 1.6x w/ChamberSwab®: Everything Else

I do not have to rely on reviews.
02-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Another vote for Arctic Butterfly - I use it regularly on my Nikon and Pentax. Remember that it works on the concept of static charge on the hair bristles - like a dust magnet.

I find it very effective even though it is probably true that 'welded-on' dust needs a different approach. Most dust particles, in my experience, are not welded. I don't believe that I have any on my camera's that resist the butterfly but even if I do they are not subjectively evident.