Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

More to KX high ISO than low noise

I splurged on a KX to go alongside my K20. The main reason I went for the KX was because though the K20 is a fine camera I was always dissapointed with the low light/ high noise performance at higher ISO than 400.

So the KX arrived yesterday and I was blown away by the images I was getting at 1600, 3200 and 6400. My wife who drives a Nikon D90 was also well impresed with the results when we compared the same shots from her camera with the KX.

However today as I tried varoius of my lenses on the new body I really became impressed with the way the KX worked with my long lenses in normal light. I have a Bigma which was always difficult to use at the 500 end on the K20. Even in decent light it became a struggle to get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blur hand held.

With the KX I can even use my 1.4 TC and still get good shots hand held. I can crank the ISO to 1600 and that gives me a speed of 2000 sec at f8 500mm. I can see how this is going to help me with difficult lighting in the summer while birding. Or action shots of sports events.

So I am pretty happy with the KX, It's a steal for the price and although the build qulaity is not up to my K20 it far outpaces the entry level Sony,Canon and Nikon opposition in my opinion.

02-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
So I am pretty happy with the KX, It's a steal for the price and although the build qulaity is not up to my K20 it far outpaces the entry level Sony,Canon and Nikon opposition in my opinion.
It's definitely a cool little camera and very capable regardless of price, I tend to pick it up far more than the K20 now for most jobs and it's definitely my preferred day to day snapshot cam.