Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[k-7] AF adjustment for M42 lenses

Hello,

I have a few M42 lenses that I'd like to use on my K-7. I find it tricky to get accurate focus though so I have purchased a split screen which has helped greatly. However I would also like an accurate focus confirmation for these and I suspect that some of them are front/back focusing.

I note in the manual that the K-7 has to obtain an ID for a lens in order to save the setting. How does this work (if at all) with M42 - they do not pass an ID as far as I know? Or is the ID associated with the focal length for that lens? In other words if I mount a 135mm, and set it as 135mm, will the camera save the lens correction I set against the 135mm, so that when I next use it it will know to adjust the focus?

Thanks

Last edited by Nass; 02-12-2010 at 04:54 AM.
02-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't think that it's possible in any way to index adjusment for M42 lenses by ID. The only way is to use "Apply all" option for adjusment, wich is then applyed to any lens atached. This is a problem I am facing too, as I use few M42 lenses. Sadly, no way for camera to memorize adjusment for paritcular M42 lens.
02-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what I would suggest is that you look at the AF accuracy or adjustment required for each lens, and determine a general adjustment factor that you would enter.

the K7 lets you select a factor to apply to all lenses, and then specific ones for unique lenses.

Therefore if you can adjust with a comon factor for all your lenses, and then only enter factors for lenses that don't meet this comon adjustment, you would have the best solution,

the M42 lenses, since they lack the communications pin (7th position from lens locking pin) they don;t have any ID and would get thegeneral correction factor.
02-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what I would suggest is that you look at the AF accuracy or adjustment required for each lens, and determine a general adjustment factor that you would enter.

the K7 lets you select a factor to apply to all lenses, and then specific ones for unique lenses.

Therefore if you can adjust with a comon factor for all your lenses, and then only enter factors for lenses that don't meet this comon adjustment, you would have the best solution,

the M42 lenses, since they lack the communications pin (7th position from lens locking pin) they don;t have any ID and would get thegeneral correction factor.
Yes, that's the best approach. Thats what I did for my M42 lenses.