Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

Professional pentax dslr

Just a thought that crossed my mind: Do pentax make a camera to compete with the likes of the canon 1D Mk2 or something like that?

07-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, they don't.
07-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok. Question answered.
07-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toonahfish Quote
Just a thought that crossed my mind: Do pentax make a camera to compete with the likes of the canon 1D Mk2 or something like that?
Nope. Basically, no one makes anything that competes in the same market as the Canon full-frame DSLRs, as no one else makes full-frame DSLRs. Everything else is APS-C (or smaller in some cases from other manufacturers). Nikon also doesn't make anything fullframe.

If you're thinking of competing with the higher-end APS-C DSLRs (which are still considered professional), then the K10D does compete well with those in the $1500-2000 price range (despite being priced around $900). There are a number of professional photographers here who do shoot with the K10D. (Not myself though, for me photography is a deep dark hole into which large amounts of my money goes into, not a source of money, and it will always stay that way. )

07-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #5

Yes!

It's called K10D.
07-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frakkas Quote
Yes!

It's called K10D.
Sadly, as good of a camera as the K10D is, and as much as it utterly blows everyone else away in the price-performance ratio, Canon's "top of the line" has no direct competition from anyone. If you need the low-light performance of a full frame sensor, Canon is the only place you can go. This is a niche market though, which is why Canon has no competition - Nikon and others could compete if they wanted, but for 95%+ of even the professional market, fullframe is overkill.

If you limit yourself to the market segments where Canon does actually have competition (high-end APS-C sensor sized cameras, such as Nikon's top of the line and Canon's midrange professional offerings), the K10D competes quite well with them despite being priced far below them.
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The LX was the only serious attempt to compete with Canon F1 & Nikon F3 at the time. But never before, or after, the entire Pentax 135 history that they were trying to match Nikon or Canon for the flagship race. I think it would be an unrealistic expectation lusting for any like EOS1 series from Pentax. People go Canon or Nikon for these flagship products and support. The best Pentax could and should do is serious amateur models which would sell.

07-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i go out and copeat agents other photojs that have 1D Mk---- and the Nikon both of them use the new and best lens eather offer. the cannon person uses the 70-200 L 2.8 and i tell you what with my K10D or K100D and cheap 2nd hand Pentax smc lens i been holding my own.

it been funny to be able to out shoot them with my K100D and my 50$ 80-200 and 60$ 100-300 lol
07-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
it been funny to be able to out shoot them with my K100D and my 50$ 80-200 and 60$ 100-300 lol
it just proves that pentax in good hands is capable of admiring, top of the class shots
keep going...
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

By this time next year Sony will be competing with the top 2 but who cares anyway the price for one of the top camera bodies + lenses to go with isn't worth the performance gain (if any apart from frame rate). This is why I lean towards Pentax. With no other brand can I go to the second hand shop and find optical wonders with a cheap price tag. With no other camera system can I get the proper manual focus feeling.

I'll say it again because it will happen. Whatever sensor Sony put in its A10 you'll find it in the next Pentax camera, it's as simple as that. Pentax will refine in, add nice stuff to it and call it the K20D or something along those lines. I'll eat my hat if 80% of what I say doesn't happen.

If the Sony A10 is released just before September then the new Pentax which will directly compete above say the Nikon D200 level (K10D does that anyway) will be released around Christmas/New Year!!

These are my predictions. Pentax will always remain the consumer friendly brand with some really nice stuff at acceptable prices, especially once the new lenses are released.

Tim H
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

One thing I wanted to add - So far it looks like the 645D medium format camera is still going forward, and if it stays at the current planned price, it will utterly obliterate Canon's offerings in its price range. (I've seen a lot of news indicating that it'll be priced similarly to Canon's top of the line but will have a much larger sensor.) So yeah, it looks like Pentax is planning on competing with Canon's flagships not by producing a pro 35mm FF camera, but instead producing an affordable MF digital. (And MF is by definition pro, unless you're shooting with a Holga. )
07-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Probably not, in the foreseeable future. They don't have the market for it and very few pros will buy into it nor they have the true leading edge technology to build a truly high performing DSLR as those top end Canons and Nikon do, deep inside of course (but not comparing published specs on paper. Do remember there are many unpublished specs which are far more important when using the camera at the *field*).
07-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
By this time next year Sony will be competing with the top 2...

Competing how? In features vs price? Or in total sales? Sony has a very tough road ahead if they intend to knock off Nikon or Canon.
07-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Probably not, in the foreseeable future. They don't have the market for it and very few pros will buy into it nor they have the true leading edge technology to build a truly high performing DSLR as those top end Canons and Nikon do, deep inside of course (but not comparing published specs on paper. Do remember there are many unpublished specs which are far more important when using the camera at the *field*).
You don't consider Benjikan a professional photographer? Among others.

You can safely say that very few pros will buy into a high-end Pentax system, comparing to the amount of pros on a Nikon/Canon system.

Your second statement "Do remember... the *field*)." however, is your average RiceHigh anti-Pentax nonsense.

Let me guess, we can find the proof for Pentax not complying to your standards of these important specs on your blog?
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
You don't consider Benjikan a professional photographer? Among others.

You can safely say that very few pros will buy into a high-end Pentax system, comparing to the amount of pros on a Nikon/Canon system.
You've answered your question yourself. Very few = None??

QuoteQuote:
Your second statement "Do remember... the *field*)." however, is your average RiceHigh anti-Pentax nonsense.

Let me guess, we can find the proof for Pentax not complying to your standards of these important specs on your blog?
Okay, then, in the *lab* if you don't like those field reports by users! My blog has no standard, nor specs, I link to other lab tests and user reports. One can always judge by oneself by just clicking the source links (and thus leave my blog).