Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
very helpful and informative thread here. I've been running Duracell 2650 mAh rechargeables with my K100D since I purchased it (there was a sale on at the local electronics store for 2 sets of 4 with a 15 minute quick charger for $50) and have been very pleased. The quick charger comes in quite handy as when I was shooting the Formula 1 weekend I ate through batteries and getting home late having to be up early the next morning I needed a full charge without too much of a wait. Like bjsmith, I also carry a set of lithiums as backups (1 set of lithiums, 4 sets of 2650 mAh rechargeables).

07-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bj,
Interesting. The Energiser 2500 (4XAA) were what I was using before the Eneloops and if left for anything longer than two weeks they would die very quickly....its also possible I had a dud or weak battery in amongst the set.
The Eneloops are truly amazing, they can show half a bar when turned on after a two week idle period, but will come up to full after a few shots....they seem to thrive on work.
Thankyou very much for your very informative input.
Cheers.
07-03-2007, 01:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
Just FYI, I haven't let my Energizer NiMH 2500mAh batteries go more than 3 weeks without using, and I haven't lost any noticeable charge on them when I do.
Interesting. I have just opposite experience with Energizers. At the beginning they were OK, bot now leave them for a couple of weeks weeks and they are out of charge.
07-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #19

Yep, multiple NiMH sets plus one Lithium backup ...

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi Bj,
Interesting. The Energiser 2500 (4XAA) were what I was using before the Eneloops and if left for anything longer than two weeks they would die very quickly....its also possible I had a dud or weak battery in amongst the set.
The Eneloops are truly amazing, they can show half a bar when turned on after a two week idle period, but will come up to full after a few shots....they seem to thrive on work.
Thankyou very much for your very informative input.
Cheers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Interesting. I have just opposite experience with Energizers. At the beginning they were OK, bot now leave them for a couple of weeks weeks and they are out of charge.
I haven't let them go for more than 2-3 weeks, and they've always been solid.

Although I do have about one (1) out of every ten (10) batteries have a mis-discharge.
I.e., about every 2nd or 3rd set, one (1) battery won't discharge completely -- memory effect -- and then only partially charge.
In that case, putting that one (1) battery with three (3) others in a set would cause such scenarios.

That's something you will only catch on a LaCrosse 900 or another charger with a LCD that shows how much charge was delivered (or something even without a LCD that would detect such a partial charge).
Merely putting the battery through the full discharge-charge cycle again always solves it for me, so maybe that's what you might have run into on quick chargers that you don't catch.
Again, I will re-iterate how important it is to respect NiMH and do a full discharge-charge and verify that's exactly what you get.

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
very helpful and informative thread here. I've been running Duracell 2650 mAh rechargeables with my K100D since I purchased it (there was a sale on at the local electronics store for 2 sets of 4 with a 15 minute quick charger for $50) and have been very pleased. The quick charger comes in quite handy as when I was shooting the Formula 1 weekend I ate through batteries and getting home late having to be up early the next morning I needed a full charge without too much of a wait. Like bjsmith, I also carry a set of lithiums as backups (1 set of lithiums, 4 sets of 2650 mAh rechargeables).
Exactomundo! I always carry at least three (3) sets of NiMH to keep my costs down.
I then carry one (1) running Lithium set as a "backup" although I can get more at any store (with associated and added cost).

07-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #20

Okay, I just blogged it ...

I'm looking for power EEs to critique and correct ...
BS' Blog: Li-Ion is not Lithium (e.g., Li-Mn, Li-Fe)