Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ist-DL problem

Howdy all,

This is my first post in Pentax Forums. Go check out my introduction.

Now to the problem.
Went to turn on my DL earlier today and the camera told me the batteries are too low (flashing empty battery icon).
I tried 2 other sets of rechargeables and a set of brand new alkalines. The same result.

All 4 sets of batteries are full.

Kindy looks pretty bad for my baby.

Any help is appreciated.

Chromo

02-13-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

I've seen an ist-DL with similar problem before. I think you will either need to send it to your local pentax repairshop to have it fixed. I think it's definately fixable.

Or wait for one of the professionals here to come up with a quick fix
02-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks Norman.

I will keep checking back here.
02-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Silly question; are all of the battery contacts in the camera clean and corrosion free?

02-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Forget the alkalines; they can't be relied upon ever. As for the rechargeable, how old are they, how many times have they been recharged, and by what kind of charger?

My guess is the camera is fine, but the batteries are past their prime - perhaps hastened by a "dumb" charger that charges too fast and doesn't monitor cells individually. The cells might still work on other devices that don't have such heavy current demands, but DSLR's are more demanding than most devices.

Simplest check would be to buy a set of lithiums and see how they work out. That would at least show if the camera is still working. if so, then you could consider getting new rechargables, and a charger that won't prematurely fry the cells.
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The contacts are in pristine condition and clean.

The 3 sets of rechargeables are different brands with different output ratings.

The charger is a smart one, charging individual cells slowly, about 6-8 hours.

All 3 sets of batteries worked fine when I used the camera last (last week).
I have charged all the batteries to test the camera once I found this problem.
I have not mixed batteries.

It seems a bit too coincidental for 3 sets of batteries to be bad at the same time.

Any more questions ?.....Please ask.

Chromo

PS I've also post a separate question on batteries if anyone would like to comment. "The best batteries".

Last edited by chromo; 02-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.
02-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why not try and buy those CR-V3 batteries just to find out if it is really the camera or just the batteries?
At least you'll find out immediately rather than a hit and miss with the rechargeables.

02-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Why not try and buy those CR-V3 batteries just to find out if it is really the camera or just the batteries?
At least you'll find out immediately rather than a hit and miss with the rechargeables.
Yeah, I think if I can find a rechargeable version I will be very interested.
02-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I would be interested to see how you go and if you find a solution. My istDs does exactly the same thing. I use lithium batteries (non-rechargable) and I'm finding that it is a bit hit and miss if my new batteries (that I just bought) are going to register as full! A couple of times, however, I switched the camera on and off a few times and they registered as full. So, I suspect that I may have to get the camera serviced. I've got problems with the e-dial too
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hi
Did you set the auto-detect option for the batteries in the menu?
There you can choose manually which batteries you are using. It should be on auto-detection on default and this should work.
And what is your firmware version? The older firmware had a problem with baterry readouts.

OOps

Sorry you are using a different camera than mine.
still check for those things.
02-14-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
Hi
Did you set the auto-detect option for the batteries in the menu?
There you can choose manually which batteries you are using. It should be on auto-detection on default and this should work.
And what is your firmware version? The older firmware had a problem with baterry readouts.

OOps

Sorry you are using a different camera than mine.
still check for those things.
---------------------------------------------

LOL Yeah the manual doesn't mention anything about a battery type setting and it does have the latest update.

The camera does do an other thing that I think is strange. I bought it second hand about 3 months ago. Every time I changed the batteries, I would have to re-enter the time and date. Surely this is not normal. Isn't there some kind of backup battery ? I can't find it.
02-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
---------------------------------------------

LOL Yeah the manual doesn't mention anything about a battery type setting and it does have the latest update.

The camera does do an other thing that I think is strange. I bought it second hand about 3 months ago. Every time I changed the batteries, I would have to re-enter the time and date. Surely this is not normal. Isn't there some kind of backup battery ? I can't find it.
Looks like you may have to get Pentax service to replace the backup battery.

The following applies to the ISTD but not ISTDL:

It should have a backup battery. You will find a round cover for it on the bottom of the camera and you can open it with a coin. This battery is supposed to last about 5 years only. Looks like you have to change yours.

Last edited by ma318; 02-14-2010 at 12:34 AM.
02-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
Looks like you may have to get Pentax service to replace the backup battery.

The following applies to the ISTD but not ISTDL:

It should have a backup battery. You will find a round cover for it on the bottom of the camera and you can open it with a coin. This battery is supposed to last about 5 years only. Looks like you have to change yours.

Thanks....Unfortunately this one doesn't have any removable covers on the bottom.
Another thought....Maybe that could cause the DL to loose some sort of settings for the battery voltages.
I am now pondering the price Pentax will charge.

Chromo.
02-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Thanks....Unfortunately this one doesn't have any removable covers on the bottom.
Another thought....Maybe that could cause the DL to loose some sort of settings for the battery voltages.
I am now pondering the price Pentax will charge.

Chromo.
The backup battery is needed to keep the internal clock running when the AA batteries are drained or when you take them out. With a dead backup battery, the camera will ask you to re-enter the time/date whenever you replace the AA batteries. Looks like the backup battery for the ISTDL can only be replaced by taking the camera apart. You can contact Pentax service to get a quote.

Does the camera still function with the battery warning? If it still works, you could just ignore the warning and continue to use the camera. The warning is probably a warning regarding the backup battery and not the AA batteries. Of course, now you would not have AA batteries warning.

Note that this should not cause the camera to lose its settings because the camera settings are usually stored in non-volatile memory.

Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Last edited by ma318; 02-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
Does the camera still function with the battery warning? If it still works, you could just ignore the warning and continue to use the camera. The warning is probably a warning regarding the backup battery and not the AA batteries. Of course, now you would not have AA batteries warning.
No unfortunately, it displays the empty flashing icon only. No other function is available including popping up the flash.

I will ring Pentax today. Think I might be holding the phone shaking.

Chromo.