Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

Pentax K-x Shutter Speed, ISO, Low Light..

Let me see if I can explain this issue I'm having, could just be me of course! Well for the last couple of years I have been the proud owner of a Pentax K110D. 3 days ago I received my Pentax K-x in the mail and am not sure if I like it yet.. need to figure some things out. My first issue is I take a lot of pictures of my nieces in the house and with natural lighting the room isn't lit up like a studio, and the K-x seems to try and compensate for the dim light by keeping the shutter open longer than I want and ISO jumps to like 1600 or so. What happens is a motion-blur type image because of course, I'm photographing 3 year old twins and a baby. Never still! What's going on? This is taking place in AUTO mode which I like to use in-doors. What can I do here? Why is the shutter staying open? Shouldn't the flash be able to compensate for the dim light? Never had this issue with the K110D..

02-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer to use P mode and select the proper aperture. Then I select an ISO range and let the camera do the metering for shutter speed. The shutter speeds can be low, that's true.

If you choose shutter speed priority the camera tends to use the lowest aperture, which will cause your pictures to be unsharp.

Are you using spot metering? That might give you more accurate results.
02-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

If you're in AUTO PICT mode then the camera might be selecting Night Scene Portrait, which is an issue that was already raised.

I suggesting trying the Kids Scene mode. Set the camera to SCN, and press the INFO button to get to the Control Panel. The Scene options should be the top left. With Scene highlighted, move the E-dial until "Kids" appears. Then just half-press the shutter to get out of there and go take some pictures.
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
If you're in AUTO PICT mode then the camera might be selecting Night Scene Portrait, which is an issue that was already raised.

I suggesting trying the Kids Scene mode. Set the camera to SCN, and press the INFO button to get to the Control Panel. The Scene options should be the top left. With Scene highlighted, move the E-dial until "Kids" appears. Then just half-press the shutter to get out of there and go take some pictures.
Seems to have helped out!! Thanks!! That's why I came here.. have a look...

Emily after she gave herself a hair cut last weekend..

02-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
efg

Photos: Gallery
Ha ha, love the haircut. : )