Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best batteries

I would like to get opinions from anyone on what they think are the best Brand, Type and Output Rating, batteries to suit my ist-DL.

Thanks in advance.

Chromo.

02-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I would like to get opinions from anyone on what they think are the best Brand, Type and Output Rating, batteries to suit my ist-DL.

Thanks in advance.

Chromo.
You might want to look into some of the Hybrid batteries. Those are pre-charged NiMh batteries. Some are made by Rayovac and some by Sanyo and other manufactures. I've used the Sanyo Eneloop batteries and like them so far.

The biggest advantage for me has been their ability to have a very low self discharge rate. The Sanyo Eneloop batteries state in their literature that the batteries will retain up to 85% of their full charge for up to a year.

I tend to not use a particular camera or a flash unit for extended periods of time and when I used standard rechargeable NiCad or NiMh batteries they seemed to always be discharged when I wanted to use the item. Then of course all of my spares would be discharged too laying in storage. My standard NiMh batteries spent more time in the charger than they did in my camera.

I've had a pair of Eneloops in my camera now for well over a month and have used them to some degree, and the battery indicator shows them to have about half thier capacity remaining. I'd check them every week or so and the degree of charge stays pretty constant. I feel certain that I'll get some more good use out of them before they require charging.

Then when I install the batteries that I have in reserve after having been stored in my camera case for months will be fully charged and ready for use.

The Eneloops that I have are 1900 mAh.
02-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'd also recommend the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Mine read "Model hr-3utg 1.2V Typ.2,000mAh Min 1,900mAh." They work great. As jimH said, the biggest advantage is the low self discharge rate. You can keep an extra set and not worry about them self discharging while not in use. I've also bought the Duracell NiMh when I couldn't find the Eneloops locally. They are supposedly the same as the Eneloops. Be aware that Duracell packages two types of these batteries. You can tell which are which by the color of the top and bottom of the battery. The Sanyo made are white on the top and bottom. Also, I think they read made in Japan on the back of the packaging.
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've done a search on Google for hybrids and came up with this:

EnduraLast 4 AA Hybrid NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries for Digital Cameras by Accessory Power

* Pre-Charged and ready to use out of package. These versatile batteries power any digital device that utilizes AA Batteries.
* 2200 mAh capacity - highest in hybrid NiMH technology - Retains up to 85% of charge after one year of storage.
* Rechargable up to 1000 times - memory effect has been eliminated.
* Combines the versatility and convenience of standard alkaline batteries with today's powerful NiMH technology
* Manufacturer's 3-Year Warranty

02-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

More information can be found on this web site:

The Best Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers Of 2009
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great guys. Thanks.

Will my charger (Duracell CEF21 NiMH charger) be good enough for these Hybrids ?

I have now found that when looking at batteries and chargers it's a flamin' minefield.

Chromo
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Minefield is accurate.
I am just switching to eneloops and MAHA MH-C9000 charger to see the "green on the other side of the fence". Swear by lithiums,they never let me down.

Cheers, Mike.
02-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Minefield is accurate.
I am just switching to eneloops and MAHA MH-C9000 charger to see the "green on the other side of the fence". Swear by lithiums,they never let me down.

Cheers, Mike.

Looks like a pretty good charger but I think you'll need a licence to drive it.

Chromo