Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Movie stops recording at about 50 seconds

I have been testing movie mode on the K-7. I am using a class-6 SD card. I have tried various recording settings, but whenever I start recording video, after about 50 seconds the recording stops, I get an hourglass on the screen, and I can't even record anything by depressing the shutter button for about 10 seconds. It seems obvious to me that the camera's buffer is filling up because it can't record to the SD card fast enough, and when it fills it just cuts off recording, but I would think with a class 6 SD card it would be able to handle the internal bandwith requirements. My assumption is that there is some kind of internal processing that I am asking the camera to do that is taxing the processeor, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Any ideas/hints/help would be appreciated.

02-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tsarbomba Quote
I have been testing movie mode on the K-7. I am using a class-6 SD card. I have tried various recording settings, but whenever I start recording video, after about 50 seconds the recording stops, I get an hourglass on the screen, and I can't even record anything by depressing the shutter button for about 10 seconds. It seems obvious to me that the camera's buffer is filling up because it can't record to the SD card fast enough, and when it fills it just cuts off recording, but I would think with a class 6 SD card it would be able to handle the internal bandwith requirements. My assumption is that there is some kind of internal processing that I am asking the camera to do that is taxing the processeor, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Any ideas/hints/help would be appreciated.
See the latter part of:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90068-debating-return-k-7-a.html

02-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
The card is to slow, no metter if it's rated as Class 6. Most of the cards from not so renowened manufacturers fail to meet the standard. It's been disscused several times here. Most of forum members find that Sandisk cards work as stated, especially Extreme II and IV cards. So, you should try these. I am not shure about Lexar cards.
02-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What brand SD card are you using? In my experience, not all Class 6 cards are created equal. I had problems with a no-name brand (my limit was about 2 minutes), but using a SanDisk Extreme III card lets me go to the normal limit imposed by the camera (like 9.5 minutes of 16:9 video at full quality).

02-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That did the trick. Thanks. I was using an adata class 6. I popped in a Sandisk Extreme III and now it will record to its full potential.
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
The card is to slow, no metter if it's rated as Class 6. Most of the cards from not so renowened manufacturers fail to meet the standard. It's been disscused several times here. Most of forum members find that Sandisk cards work as stated, especially Extreme II and IV cards. So, you should try these. I am not shure about Lexar cards.
There are no Extreme II and IV Sandisk SD/SDHC cards only Extreme III in 20mb/sec & 30mb/sec and the new Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards. I use a 16GB Extreme III 30mb/sec card in my K-7 and never had any problems recording HD video on my K-7.
02-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
There are no Extreme II and IV Sandisk SD/SDHC cards only Extreme III in 20mb/sec & 30mb/sec and the new Extreme Class 10 SDHC cards. I use a 16GB Extreme III 30mb/sec card in my K-7 and never had any problems recording HD video on my K-7.
Sorry, typo for Extreme II, I meant III. I didn't know there's no Extreme IV in SD, thanks for info. I'm using Extreme III 20 mb/s for video without problems.

02-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #8

Can anyone verify that the Sandisk ultra 15 mb/s work fine on the K-7?
02-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry, can't say they do. Here's my experience with them:

The Ultra II cards are fine for still shooting (even high-rate continuous drive shooting). They work for every video mode at every quality except 16:9, 3-Star. That's the one video mode where the bitrate is just a little too much for an Ultra II to handle. They worked a lot like a cheap Class 6 card in my experience. Which is pretty good, as they're Class 4 cards.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
Sorry, can't say they do. Here's my experience with them:

The Ultra II cards are fine for still shooting (even high-rate continuous drive shooting). They work for every video mode at every quality except 16:9, 3-Star. That's the one video mode where the bitrate is just a little too much for an Ultra II to handle. They worked a lot like a cheap Class 6 card in my experience. Which is pretty good, as they're Class 4 cards.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
Ok, Thx

Hate to toss that much out right now on extremes but?? No choice I guess.
02-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yesterday I updated the firmware to 1.03 and I put back in the memory card that was causing the problems, and now it will record to the camera's full capacity. I guess the firmware really did as advertised when it said it would improve SDHC recording performance.
02-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The outcome of the thread discussion is quite clear and explicit:
- The firmware 1.03 does resolve some issues with the K-7 video.
- For video and continuous shooting, a fast card is essential; typically a Sandisk Extreme III gives excellent results to most.
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm able to record for 10 minutes long using my Sandisk Ultra II class 4 4GB at 16:9 movie mode.
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #14

I have been using a Sandisk class 2, 8 gb card and I have been getting 8 to 9 minutes recording time at 720 p 3 stars. Very little to no time between stopping and starting recording. Lucky?