Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Memory card error -- works on PC but not on camera

I picked up a weird problem today morning. I have a transcend 16 GB card class 6 which was working fine when shooting on a K7; I loaded it up on a PC card reader and then put it back into the K7 -- it keeps complaining of a memory card error. I had an Cannon A610 from old times, and the SanDisk 512MB Class 2 worked fine on the K7. I'm not sure if the A610 can read a 16Gb card but it also complained of a memory card error.

The funny thing is I can read the 16 Gb card on multiple laptop card readers -- format it, etc. I should also note that the K7 did throw up a 'memory card error' very early on -- but I just reinserted the card and it worked fine.

Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks!

P.S What I'm worried is whether the K7's card reader contacts are having alignment problems with this card? Like I mention it behaved a bit flaky before as well..

Last edited by K7er; 02-14-2010 at 02:10 PM.
02-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes it helps to format the card in the camera, especially after deleting images and formatting from the PC. There's someting about the PC-generated FAT table that the camera can't read.
02-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm... I tried that too earlier. The K7 stopped rightaway saying memory card error.
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K7er Quote
Hmm... I tried that too earlier. The K7 stopped rightaway saying memory card error.
Well, that's an expensive card to be unusable.

I once accidentally tried to insert a card wrong-side-out and messed up the copper connector foils. Took forever to get them laying flat enough to use the card again.

Otherwise I'm no help at all.

02-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Camera's can be fussy about memory cards. Some cards that won't work in my K200D will work fine in my K-x. The only cards that work successfully in both are Sandisk's.

Rather than trying to get that card to work with the camera, I'd pay attention to what your K-7 is saying and stop using that card. You don't want to risk losing important data.

Get a Sandisk card instead.
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Another vote for SanDisk. Used them on Kodak, Canon, Panasonic, and too many Pentaxes to 'fess up to buying.

Never had a Sandisk fail although I'm careful to format in the camera I'll be using, particularly if I'm changing manufacturers. I don't worry quite as much moving from one Pentax body to another. Probably should.

Are there different types of format? I'm thinking of disk formatting that can be "ordinary" or low-level.

Can you find a friend that has a Pentax (or other camera) that you can try the card in? That Canon A610 goes back to about 2004/5 and I would not expect it to support SDHC. No surprise there!
02-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I had a no-name 8GB SDHC card that could be read by my laptop, my Lumix, but not by my K-x. The K-x would have formatting errors and would lose every 8th image capture.

There were some issues that were detected by H2testw (from: H2testw 1.4 Deutsch, Download bei heise)

Best to go with good brand memory cards.

Hope this helps.

SB