Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice about buying the K-7 and lense

Hi gang,

Always a little nervous about laying down big money... I am planning to buy a camera (most likely, the Pentax K-7). At Pixmania.com they have a K-7 and a Tamron AF 18-200 mm f/3,5-6,3 XR Di ... (IF) Macro. I already have a 28-80 on my old MZ-5n... now I want to get DSLR and I want a BETTER lense... I just don't know a lot about lense... I want to take portraits and landscape... Of course, Pixmania.com has other arrangement... but again, I am unclear about the lenses. The price for the above is 1,089 euros... is that a good price?

Thanks for any help in advance.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland

02-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thread moved to the correct section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The price is about right for Europe (based on UK prices) but the Tamron 18-200mm is not a great lens by any means. If you are looking for a all in one zoom then maybe the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm.
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not want to make a new thread about K-7, but I'll ask here. Could anyone post JPEG pictures with different NR settings? Particulary at medium and high, iso 1600 and 3200. I would be glad to see the difference,thnk you all who would help me

02-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eetu Quote
Hi gang,

Always a little nervous about laying down big money... I am planning to buy a camera (most likely, the Pentax K-7). At Pixmania.com they have a K-7 and a Tamron AF 18-200 mm f/3,5-6,3 XR Di ... (IF) Macro. I already have a 28-80 on my old MZ-5n... now I want to get DSLR and I want a BETTER lense... I just don't know a lot about lense... I want to take portraits and landscape... Of course, Pixmania.com has other arrangement... but again, I am unclear about the lenses. The price for the above is 1,089 euros... is that a good price?

Thanks for any help in advance.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
In France, you can find some reference prices at FNAC (htp://www.fnac.fr).

I agree with another contributor that the 18-200mm is not a good lens. It is old and the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mmm is a better value for money. An alternative is the more expensive Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM with Pentax mount. All in all, the Pentax 18-250mm is possibly the most logical choice since it is recongised by the K-7 enabling on-board lens correction.

Hope that the comment will help ...
02-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

... I want to take portraits and landscape...
First of all, I do not really see a direct need for the longer focal length for the above requirements.

Although I'm not familiar with the 28-80mm, the focal range is very useful for portraits. Landscape is usually a wide angle affair, and the best match for the 28-80mm would be something like a 12-24mm zoom. The DA12-24 is not cheap. A more universal lens will be the standard kit lens or a Pentax DA16-45, a Tamron 17-50mm or a Pentax DA17-70; not as wide but each with their own strengths (price, slightly longer tele, faster, ...). The latter makes your 28-80 more or less obsolete (from a focal length perspective).
02-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I do not want to make a new thread about K-7, but I'll ask here. Could anyone post JPEG pictures with different NR settings? Particulary at medium and high, iso 1600 and 3200. I would be glad to see the difference,thnk you all who would help me
You should as it will get confusing who is replying to who.
Also, how would you feel if you start a thread and somebody 'hijacks' it and ask for pictures at other iso's or for a Kx at 6400 iso (just as examples). There will be plenty of replies and possibly just one on your original post. I would get frustrated if that would happen.

Just my thoughts, WimS

02-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I thought I was in the correct forum, I am very, very new to the forum. Thanks, indeed.

And everyone else, thanks for the info... glad I asked about this lense. Perhaps the Pentax 17-70 might be a better selection when buying the camera.

Thanks again.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
02-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Adam, I thought I was in the correct forum, I am very, very new to the forum. Thanks, indeed.

And everyone else, thanks for the info... glad I asked about this lense. Perhaps the Pentax 17-70 might be a better selection when buying the camera.

Thanks again.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Hi Ned,

No, the 18-200mm is not a very sharp lens. It also suffers from vignetting in the wide end.

Also, be aware of the APS-C sensor crop factor compared to your MZ film camera.
The effect is that a lens on your MZ becomes 1.5x the length on a K-7.
Therefore a 16mm lens on a K-7 works like a 16x1.5=24mm on a MZ, or your 28-80mm will work like 42-120mm on your future K-7.

The 16-45mm lens is very sharp, also the 17-70mm and the 16-50mm are very good lenses.
Recently Pentax stopped the 16-45mm production, however you may find some specimen available for not so much money.

- Bert
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you are not worried about the extra length then the DA 17-70mm is a very good all round lens and is more than capable.
02-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello bymy141,

Just a note to thanks for your help and comments about the 16-45. It is one lense I have had my eye on.

Say, I understand you are in the Netherlands... I have been comparing prices for the K-7 on Pixmania... some of the prices seem higher on the Finnish Pixmania website... I happened to look at the Dutch Pixmania website, where they have cheaper prices for certain cameras... I thought this was odd since it is the same company... It seems like on some offers (Pentax K-7 plus lenses) it might be cheaper for me to order through Pixmania Dutch site...

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
02-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
If you are not worried about the extra length then the DA 17-70mm is a very good all round lens and is more than capable.
Hello Mike!

Hey, thanks for your info. The 17-70 is another lense I have had my eye on...

By the way, I really like your gallery... the camera / lense info is really helpful. Very well done.

I used to live in Plymouth, England before I came to Finland. I am way overdue for another trip back so I can photograph Darmoor... and get a pint of Jail Ale brewed in Dartmoor.

Thanks again and all the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
02-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
First of all, I do not really see a direct need for the longer focal length for the above requirements.

Although I'm not familiar with the 28-80mm, the focal range is very useful for portraits. ... A more universal lens will be the standard kit lens or a Pentax DA16-45, a Tamron 17-50mm or a Pentax DA17-70; not as wide but each with their own strengths (price, slightly longer tele, faster, ...). The latter makes your 28-80 more or less obsolete (from a focal length perspective).
Greetings sterretje!

Thanks you very much, indeed for help and suggestions. This and other feedback on this thread has been a real help for when I make my purchase soon... Just want to get things right when putting down big money.

Thanks again and all the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
02-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
but the Tamron 18-200mm is not a great lens by any means.
Hi Mike,

Wow, this is something I have read from many, many people... very interesting... got the message... The Tamron 18-200 is not on my horizon.

Thanks for your help.

Ned
02-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thread moved to the correct section
Hi Adam,

Thanks for moving this thread to the correct section... I'm new (green) to the forum and learning my way around... but many thanks, indeed.

All the best.

Ned