Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: British Virgin Islands
Posts: 4
K-x soaked - OMG - Nooooo!!!

Shooting surf this morning with my k-x and got soaked by a freak wave even tough I was well away from the 'wet' zone - - took out batteries and I've tried to dry the camera, but this evening just put in some batteries and the camera is not powering up - - any advice on how I can save the camera without having to send it to the US for repair?

Thanks, I hope this can be fixed, I love this camera.

02-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,734
Leave it for a week or so, don't try putting batteries in again otherwise you may short something out (if you haven't done so already). Salt water is probably the worst thing you could get in there ... I think an insurance claim would be in order as a repair would probably cost a fortune.
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manistee, MI
Posts: 295
it can be fixed, but the fix will probably cost more than a new camera, or at least more than your insurance deductable.

let the camera lay indoors in direct sunlight (without lens) for several days before putting the batteries back in.
02-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,178
I'm afraid there's very little hope the camera will survive. I wash off my saltwater fishing tackle after each trip regularly: this is stuff that's designed and built for that environment. Saltwater is especially noxious to electronics.

02-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Kenn100D's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Paranaque City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 646
Okay try this one. Buy handful of uncooked rice (1 to 2 kilos). Put it on a container. Cover the camera with rice make sure you dont remove the lens. Rice will absorb moisture and dry up faster. but beware of the smell once rice get wet it turn into acid much like into a rice wine. just keep monitoring it.
02-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
Alex00's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
Rice is correct. Also using your blow dryer to remove the moister can help allot. do not put it close.

The most Important this is not use the battery until all the water and moister is removed. Otherwise you will cause short circuit which will cause permanent damage to your chip.
02-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,304
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Rice is correct. Also using your blow dryer to remove the moister can help allot. do not put it close.

The most Important this is not use the battery until all the water and moister is removed. Otherwise you will cause short circuit which will cause permanent damage to your chip.
This is exactly right. The most important thing after water exposure is not to try to turn it on. Once you do, if there is any water in the circuitry, your goose is cooked. Unfortunately you are probably done for, but you can try some of the tricks mentioned above.
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 127
Get some of those desiccant packets and put them and the camera in a ziplock bag for a week. I saved my cellphone this way.

02-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,055
An old school way of dealing with salt water, though this was only for equipment that had been drowned in the stuff, was to put the camera into a pail of fresh water to rinse the salt water off.
The idea, I guess, was to limit the damage by limiting salt corrosion. Unfortunatley for your camera, I think it is probably either dead, or if it does revive, will die fairly soon again.
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member
chromo's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Coast NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 567
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
it can be fixed, but the fix will probably cost more than a new camera, or at least more than your insurance deductable.

let the camera lay indoors in direct sunlight (without lens) for several days before putting the batteries back in.
I would do this that 'Justdiy' suggested.
Electronic circuit boards can be washed and dried with no problem but because your camera is enclosed I wouldn't wash it unless you want to pull it apart.

Just make sure you lay it lens coupling side down to prevent dust getting in as well. Keep it warm but not hot.

I would leave it like that for at least a week, then try it.

Chromo.
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,898
Very sad for the K-x. Hope all goes well for you. Right when I saw the title of this thread, I knew it was a thread where someone's camera died.
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sammamish, WA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 157
If Salt Water got inside, forget it, Circuit Boards are toast. Better to have drowned it in Distilled Water if you know water got inside right away, that way you flush out the Salt. If you knew how to get inside, Electrical Contact Spray could do it too.

K200D / K10D / K20D FTW.....I'd like to get a KX as a second body for low light and video, but everywhere else the K200 is my Tool. No worries about water, dirt, etc...It's quite a nice feature to have in what is usually such a delicate tool....
02-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member
distudio's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 445
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
An old school way of dealing with salt water, though this was only for equipment that had been drowned in the stuff, was to put the camera into a pail of fresh water to rinse the salt water off.
The idea, I guess, was to limit the damage by limiting salt corrosion. Unfortunatley for your camera, I think it is probably either dead, or if it does revive, will die fairly soon again.
Bill's right, it's toast unfortunately, even if the batteries were pulled the dissimilar metal corrosion will be significant. Drying it will just crystallise the salt with is hygroscopic so even if it does miraculously recover in the next few days it will get worse in short time. Best to consider insurance as the remedy if you have it, good luck.
02-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,355
Back when I worked as a repair tech for Minolta in the late 70's, we would get one of these salt drops in on occasion. The procedure was:
1) disassemble camera completely, to the circuit boards (and probably replace them).
2) soak the whole shebang (except for the frame) in a sink full of fresh water overnight.
3) dry, re-assemble, lube and test.

Sometimes this worked.

Once, we received one body in a Tupperware container full of fresh water (batteries removed).

Last edited by shiner; 02-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member
distudio's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 445
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Back when I worked as a repair tech for Minolta in the late 70's, we would get one of these salt drops in on occasion. The procedure was:
1) disassemble camera completely, to the circuit boards (and probably replace them).
2) soak the whole shebang (except for the frame) in a sink full of fresh water overnight.
3) dry, re-assemble, lube and test.

Sometimes this worked.

Once, we received one body in a Tupperware container full of fresh water (batteries removed).
This is metal to metal corrosion apparent in a phone 2 days after (batteries removed) a 1-2 second dunk in seawater. It was dead, I de-scaled it, gave the chassis and boards several baths in de-ionised water and reassembled it so that we could retrieve the data, but basically even completely dried little worked, no usb, bluetooth, 3G and the touch screen was quite frustrating to use.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, camera, dslr, k-x, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omg! I want one!!!! stormcloud Pentax Film SLR Discussion 13 09-23-2010 02:29 PM
All I can say Is WOW OMG! overkillzone Pentax News and Rumors 29 05-12-2010 12:27 AM
OMG I spent how much ? daacon Pentax DSLR Discussion 82 03-11-2010 05:26 AM
Better than politics: OMG, I can't believe it... flippedgazelle General Talk 4 11-11-2009 03:09 PM
Soaked K20D - AF is hunting rindler Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 07-30-2009 08:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top