Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

K-x soaked - OMG - Nooooo!!!

Shooting surf this morning with my k-x and got soaked by a freak wave even tough I was well away from the 'wet' zone - - took out batteries and I've tried to dry the camera, but this evening just put in some batteries and the camera is not powering up - - any advice on how I can save the camera without having to send it to the US for repair?

Thanks, I hope this can be fixed, I love this camera.

02-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leave it for a week or so, don't try putting batteries in again otherwise you may short something out (if you haven't done so already). Salt water is probably the worst thing you could get in there ... I think an insurance claim would be in order as a repair would probably cost a fortune.
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

it can be fixed, but the fix will probably cost more than a new camera, or at least more than your insurance deductable.

let the camera lay indoors in direct sunlight (without lens) for several days before putting the batteries back in.
02-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm afraid there's very little hope the camera will survive. I wash off my saltwater fishing tackle after each trip regularly: this is stuff that's designed and built for that environment. Saltwater is especially noxious to electronics.

02-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Okay try this one. Buy handful of uncooked rice (1 to 2 kilos). Put it on a container. Cover the camera with rice make sure you dont remove the lens. Rice will absorb moisture and dry up faster. but beware of the smell once rice get wet it turn into acid much like into a rice wine. just keep monitoring it.
02-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #6

Rice is correct. Also using your blow dryer to remove the moister can help allot. do not put it close.

The most Important this is not use the battery until all the water and moister is removed. Otherwise you will cause short circuit which will cause permanent damage to your chip.
02-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Rice is correct. Also using your blow dryer to remove the moister can help allot. do not put it close.

The most Important this is not use the battery until all the water and moister is removed. Otherwise you will cause short circuit which will cause permanent damage to your chip.
This is exactly right. The most important thing after water exposure is not to try to turn it on. Once you do, if there is any water in the circuitry, your goose is cooked. Unfortunately you are probably done for, but you can try some of the tricks mentioned above.
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Get some of those desiccant packets and put them and the camera in a ziplock bag for a week. I saved my cellphone this way.

02-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

An old school way of dealing with salt water, though this was only for equipment that had been drowned in the stuff, was to put the camera into a pail of fresh water to rinse the salt water off.
The idea, I guess, was to limit the damage by limiting salt corrosion. Unfortunatley for your camera, I think it is probably either dead, or if it does revive, will die fairly soon again.
02-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
it can be fixed, but the fix will probably cost more than a new camera, or at least more than your insurance deductable.

let the camera lay indoors in direct sunlight (without lens) for several days before putting the batteries back in.
I would do this that 'Justdiy' suggested.
Electronic circuit boards can be washed and dried with no problem but because your camera is enclosed I wouldn't wash it unless you want to pull it apart.

Just make sure you lay it lens coupling side down to prevent dust getting in as well. Keep it warm but not hot.

I would leave it like that for at least a week, then try it.

Chromo.
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Very sad for the K-x. Hope all goes well for you. Right when I saw the title of this thread, I knew it was a thread where someone's camera died.
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #12

If Salt Water got inside, forget it, Circuit Boards are toast. Better to have drowned it in Distilled Water if you know water got inside right away, that way you flush out the Salt. If you knew how to get inside, Electrical Contact Spray could do it too.

K200D / K10D / K20D FTW.....I'd like to get a KX as a second body for low light and video, but everywhere else the K200 is my Tool. No worries about water, dirt, etc...It's quite a nice feature to have in what is usually such a delicate tool....
02-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
An old school way of dealing with salt water, though this was only for equipment that had been drowned in the stuff, was to put the camera into a pail of fresh water to rinse the salt water off.
The idea, I guess, was to limit the damage by limiting salt corrosion. Unfortunatley for your camera, I think it is probably either dead, or if it does revive, will die fairly soon again.
Bill's right, it's toast unfortunately, even if the batteries were pulled the dissimilar metal corrosion will be significant. Drying it will just crystallise the salt with is hygroscopic so even if it does miraculously recover in the next few days it will get worse in short time. Best to consider insurance as the remedy if you have it, good luck.
02-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back when I worked as a repair tech for Minolta in the late 70's, we would get one of these salt drops in on occasion. The procedure was:
1) disassemble camera completely, to the circuit boards (and probably replace them).
2) soak the whole shebang (except for the frame) in a sink full of fresh water overnight.
3) dry, re-assemble, lube and test.

Sometimes this worked.

Once, we received one body in a Tupperware container full of fresh water (batteries removed).

Last edited by shiner; 02-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Back when I worked as a repair tech for Minolta in the late 70's, we would get one of these salt drops in on occasion. The procedure was:
1) disassemble camera completely, to the circuit boards (and probably replace them).
2) soak the whole shebang (except for the frame) in a sink full of fresh water overnight.
3) dry, re-assemble, lube and test.

Sometimes this worked.

Once, we received one body in a Tupperware container full of fresh water (batteries removed).
This is metal to metal corrosion apparent in a phone 2 days after (batteries removed) a 1-2 second dunk in seawater. It was dead, I de-scaled it, gave the chassis and boards several baths in de-ionised water and reassembled it so that we could retrieve the data, but basically even completely dried little worked, no usb, bluetooth, 3G and the touch screen was quite frustrating to use.