Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
interval shooting

I was trying to set up interval shooting on my k20d to do some time laps stuff. I went to the menu and enabled it, set 30min intervals, 99 shots and starting now. I press okay and it says, "press shutter release button to begin interval shooting".

The problem is, I press the shutter button all the way down but it doesn't take a picture. I doesn't do anything. It doesn't take one after the 30 min interval either. I tried setting it for less time, but it still won't start the interval shooting.

Am I missing something really easy on this or is there a problem? How do I get this working?

02-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't say what lens and camera settings so I will just start at the begining with:

if set on AF-S is the focus indicator lit?

Bracketing is off?

Multi-exposure is off?

Not in Bulb mode?

Drive mode set to single frame shooting?
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
You don't say what lens and camera settings so I will just start at the begining with:

if set on AF-S is the focus indicator lit?

Bracketing is off?

Multi-exposure is off?

Not in Bulb mode?

Drive mode set to single frame shooting?
I am shooting in X mode to sync up with a flash but I have tried M mode as well. Settings are 1/180th f/6.3 and ISO 100

AF-S mode with focus conformation (green hexagon)

No bracketing. I am on Hi drive mode but have tried single frame as well

multi exposure is off

Not in bulb mode

Does interval work for you? What settings are you using that work?
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes, I have used it but have never used X mode. You have a non-standard flash setup?
Sorry, I don't remember any specific set of settings other than I just used it as I normally shoot. It must be in single-frame drive mode with no other menu settings that create additional frames (bracketing or multi-exposure). That much is in the book. It also must have focus when the time to shoot comes around. You can ensure that just by putting it into AF-C mode I THINK. I gotta go try that as soon as I send this.

I think you start simple and work up. Single frame, A priority, ensure focus or try AF-C,

You didn't say what lens so I would suggest swapping. If you are using an old K or M then try a DA or FA. I am going to go fire up my K20D and try a few thinkgs too.

02-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Yes, I have used it but have never used X mode. You have a non-standard flash setup?
Sorry, I don't remember any specific set of settings other than I just used it as I normally shoot. It must be in single-frame drive mode with no other menu settings that create additional frames (bracketing or multi-exposure). That much is in the book. It also must have focus when the time to shoot comes around. You can ensure that just by putting it into AF-C mode I THINK. I gotta go try that as soon as I send this.

I think you start simple and work up. Single frame, A priority, ensure focus or try AF-C,

You didn't say what lens so I would suggest swapping. If you are using an old K or M then try a DA or FA. I am going to go fire up my K20D and try a few thinkgs too.
I have a tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 on my k20d. For lighting, I have a cactus v4 set up with a lumopro lp120. Shouldn't be a problem to set off a flash with the interval shooting (i don't think).

From what I gathered, the manual says it automatically sets the drive mode to single frame when it enters interval mode. And I have tried manually settings it to single frame mode.

Focus is confirming with beeps and green hexagons.

The problem with A priority is I am lighting with a flash and do not want the shutter speed automatically set to balance with the ambient. Otherwise I would use it.
02-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Just took a bunch of Interval Shots with a A50mm f1.4 lens in both A priority then in X mode. Worked the same with both the external and built in flash. Not sure how to compare our camera settings beyond that.

I did tell to start now and it took off as soon as I pressed the button. Camera was in AF-S mode even though its a manual lens. Did not seem picky about the focus as it went along.

Next step for me to help is to see as much as you can post about your settings.
02-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Ok, just did same with a DA16-45mm f/4. Works the same EXCEPT if I use single focus point its fine but the multifocus points (the middle selection on the dial) it got confused if the subject changed position and would not fire until I refocused it. putting it from AF-S into M mode solved that. So if you are not in single focus point mode I recommend you use it for Interval Shots.

Good luck!

02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Success! I switched to manual focus mode and it worked right away

I have my auto focus set to the auto focus button on the back where my thumb sits instead of on half-press. I wonder if that effects the way that interval shooting works? Does settings the focus button to the back and using AF-S stop your interval shooting from working?
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes, even after focused it would not fire the first time until i repressed the AF button on the back and then it did the whole series even after I let go. By disabling the focus on half-press you stopped it from starting as it did not get the focus signal. At least that sounds right to me.

Congrats, you made it.
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was aboout to ask about this. Yay for searching before posting.

I also have my AF set to use the button on the back of the camera. Must be an undocumented feature *cough* bug *cough*.
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The manual section on Interval Shooting doesn't explicitly say that the AF button doesn't function with Interval shooting. However, from reading the whole section, its prettty much implied that it assumes AF works with pressing the shutter button.

I never do Interval Shooting on AF-S , because on the possibility that latest of the series of shots fails to lock focus, the whole sequence jams up and stops.
AF-C will allow re-focus and shooting to continue if focus lock fails, and Manual just ignores any focusing.