Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Is there anything I can do to catch him with open eyes?
No, except you glue his eyes! ;-)

The pre-flash for P-TTL is always there. And K10D and K100D only support P-TTL flashes, especially for the built-in flash.

With external flash, depending on the flashgun's model, you can avoid the problem by putting the flash in Auto mode, i.e., to detect exposure with external sensor on the flash.

The best thing is to use TTL actually, which only *ist D/DS and DS2 support but that was history then.

For more read, see also:-

P-TTL Vs TTL

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Which Flash Units are Safe for Pentax DSLRs?

07-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Is there anything I can do to catch him with open eyes?
Use your Takumar 50/1.4 in "M" mode. In this case flash automatically switches to full power with no preflash. You can use the aperture to regulate exposure. You will find more details here (see section "Flash Reach Table for the DS"):

jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic
07-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The pre-flash for P-TTL is always there.
Not always: there is a way around it. See my other post.
07-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Case solved . When I use the 2s delay his eyes are wide open ! So if anyone else is having the same problem I suggest that.

I've found the super takumar and the built in flash are not really compatible. Even if the flash is set to ev -2 and I'm using f/16 tv=180 I get over exposed photo. Don't know why though. My takumar now is baking under the sun as I think it has a yellow tint and I hope the sun rays will take care of it. When I get home I'll do some more tests.

Though with the takumar and high iso I don't even need the flash , which is quite annoying, for the people in front and around it . Yeah and the focus aid is just as devastating as a machine gun would have been if used in Napoleonic wars .

Last edited by Deni; 07-06-2007 at 06:01 AM.
07-06-2007, 05:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Use your Takumar 50/1.4 in "M" mode. In this case flash automatically switches to full power with no preflash. You can use the aperture to regulate exposure. You will find more details here (see section "Flash Reach Table for the DS"):

jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic
I actually personally discussed with Jens R before. The method does not always work, particularly I had tried with my DS and K100 and it won't work for all of my autofocus lenses. Furthermore, of course with digital lenses, we cannot even do the trick as there is no aperture ring.