Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Turning off the LCD

Is there a way to keep the LCD turned off? For example, when trying to shoot at night, I'll for the sake of being easy, lightly press the shutter button a couple of times to autofocus while looking through the viewfinder, but as soon as i let go, the LCD turns on blaring my eye (when in a dark room this hurts my eye).

I've pressed info to turn it off, but as soon as i tap the shutter lightly, it turns back on again.

02-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure which camera you have?
02-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There probably is, yes.
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Doesn't happen to my K100D

02-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

All Pentax LCD's can be turned off; the specific instrusctions for your particualr model would be found in the manual.
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
I had the model entered, musta forgot when I had to retype it.

K2000..

I looked in the manual but couldn't find anything.. Info button seemed to be the only button that turned it off, but as soon as the shutter button was pressed, either for a picture or focus, it'd come back on again.
02-17-2010, 04:55 AM   #7

I assume you"ve gone thro" the menus looking for anything to do with lcd or screen.It might show a guide so you may have to turn that off. Only guessing tho"...
02-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by evildragon Quote
Is there a way to keep the LCD turned off? For example, when trying to shoot at night, I'll for the sake of being easy, lightly press the shutter button a couple of times to autofocus while looking through the viewfinder, but as soon as i let go, the LCD turns on blaring my eye (when in a dark room this hurts my eye).

I've pressed info to turn it off, but as soon as i tap the shutter lightly, it turns back on again.
I have a similar question for the K-7. I shoot sometimes at night using the view finder, but the glare of the shot on the LCD after taking the shot is enough to blind you. I went through the K-7 manual and canot find the answer. (Off course you can shut your eyes, but that is not always practical.)
Advice will be appreciated... Thank you in advance

Last edited by hcc; 02-18-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typos
02-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

On my k-x i press "info" two times and the lcd stays off.
02-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I shoot sometimes at night using the view finder, but the glare of the shot on the LCD after taking the shot is enough to blind you
Turn off 'Instant Review"
Menu>>Camera setting list 2 (if in Auto mode)>> 4th item in list
02-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by evildragon Quote

On K7, it is camera setting #4--status screen. Uncheck it to disable status display when half pressing shutter.
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Did the camera come with a manual?

Jason
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FYI: this is how it works on the K-x if you want to achieve a totally 'dark' camera, including blanking out the rear LCD. There may similarities with the K-2000, so some of these settings may work for you.
To turn off the back display status screen under capture mode, press the INFO button until you get a blank screen. It will stay blank until you turn the camera off or press another button.

To have the camera start up with a blank status screen, make the screen blank by pressing the INFO button until the screen is blank, then go into the Menu, page 4, and under 'Memory', go to p2 and make sure the 'Shooting Info Display' item is ticked. Then exit the Menu and restart the camera. You will then always start up to a blank status screen.

To turn off the Instant Review, goto Menu, p3 and turn off 'Instant Review'.

To turn off the top LED, go to the Custom Menu, Item 20, and set the 'Power lamp' to off.

To turn off the Mode Dial guide display as you change shooting modes, go into Menu > Settings > Guide Display, and set it to Off.
Now the camera is completely 'dark' until you want it to show something.