Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #1

Do K-x Built-In Flash and AF360FGZ together support wireless P-TTL ?

Dear Users,

I am just wandering that if K-x Built-In Flash and AF360FGZ together support wireless P-TTL ?

Thank You !

02-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, I believe they do.

If you select wireless mode on the K-x you can indeed sync a dedicated external flash like the 360GZ. P-TTL metering will be at work.

P-TTL will only however work with A series and above (FA, DA, F etc) lenses.

The Pentax K-x manual (8MB) has more info on K-x flash settings from about p162.
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

This site also gives you lots of information on all the Pentax and compatible flashes:
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply.

What you said was my understanding from the manual too !

Everything seemed to be working, even wireless auto flash and wireless manual flash, except "wireless P-TTL".

I am just wandering if there is a problem with the K-x or the AF360 ? or the manual made mistake ?

PS: I am using the lens came with the camera, which means it is a DAL lens.

Last edited by Keroro; 02-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I can answer from experience that it works with the AF 540FGZ.

03-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
wirless flash pentx lenses

Why does the wireless flash only do PTTL with Pentax lenses? I use a Tamron on my K10 and the flash does PTTL.

Is this a specific KX restriction?

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, I believe they do.

If you select wireless mode on the K-x you can indeed sync a dedicated external flash like the 360GZ. P-TTL metering will be at work.

P-TTL will only however work with A series and above (FA, DA, F etc) lenses.

The Pentax K-x manual (8MB) has more info on K-x flash settings from about p162.
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

This site also gives you lots of information on all the Pentax and compatible flashes:
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Why does the wireless flash only do PTTL with Pentax lenses? I use a Tamron on my K10 and the flash does PTTL.

Is this a specific KX restriction?

Thanks
I don't think it's specific to the K-x.

p-162 of the K-x manual indicates in the fine print that full PTTL autoflash using the AF200/AF360 and AF540 flashes is "*1 Available only when using a DA, DA L, D FA, FA J, FA, F or A lens."

For what it's worth, the K200D manual says exactly the same thing (at p-134).

So does the K-7 manual (at page 173).

Maybe your Tamron works with your flash OK, but it isn't full auto P-TTL.

Or maybe the Pentax manuals are just FUDding the issue to get you to stick with Pentax lenses, and full auto PTTL works fine with some non-Pentax lenses.

I'm no expert.
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

You just need "A" contacts on lens to get fully working wireless P-TTL. That's all (just tested with A50/1.7 and Tammy 17-50/2.8).
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture ring must have the A position. That is the commonality among the lenses listed. The camera must recognize the A position as well, of course, but it does not need an autofocus lens to work. (A lenses are not auto focus, they are the first with auto aperture).

In order to sync the two flashes you need to get the camera and flash talking to each other. The steps are in the flash manual. I have the AF 540 FGZ, so I cannot give you the page numbers. Basically you must mount the flash on the camera and turn on the camera and the flash so that they are talking on the same channel. Then you need to set the flash to the correct slave mode. One is dumb slave, the other is P-TTL. You can use the on camera flash or use it as a controller only.