Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for firmware updates, if at all?
Never! Free always 3566.04%
US $10-US$25 per year 815.09%
US $25-US$50 per year 815.09%
US $50-US$100 per year 23.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Added value doesn't equal bugs

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Why not go straight to a tiered functionality pricing model, where Pentax produces one camera, but the software enables more features and has less bugs the more you pay?
I think it's great for a manufacturer's bottom line, miserable for consumers. Companies should not have to need an incentive to get their products right, or improve them if possible.
I don't follow the logic of conflating bugs and features. The manufacturer is obviously not obligated to offer any feature, but if they offer the feature that adds (even marginally) to the cost they could/should recover that cost. Sony does with it's tiered fixed model pricing, adding features and cost as you go up the line within the same basic model. Want a tilting LCD, it'll cost you; want higher resolution, it's going to cost you. Conversely, want the model without the frills, then you save. Something not added (feature) is not the same IMO as something that doesn't work (bug). If you had a K100 and wanted to add the SDM functionality from the K100S (and the physical system allowed it) wouldn't it be better to buy the feature for say $50 than buy what amounts to the same camera for $500 to get that feature? Notice the lack of SDM wasn't a bug in this example, simply an added value feature for the "S" model,
Brian

04-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Paying for a firmware update for high price equiptment is a good idea for the consumer and for the company. it build loyalty and improve company image and revenue since the updates will be paid.

However, in the fast pace of electronic that almost every gadget is repalced every year by another twice as fast, more features gadge for about the same price it is not worth to support firmware updates.

Even a new feature is not wotrth the expenses to develop, test, deploy and support to the user that is not willing to pay for it unless it isa must needed feature.

Out the thousands cameras sold what percentage of users will need the new feature? 2-5 %? out of those how many will choose to buy the next upgared camera? So this will not be wotrth the investment for firmware updates.
04-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feature updates vs. bugfixes

I would be willing tot pay for major feature updates ( firmware/hardware)
Bugfixes and minor updates should be free
04-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firmware updates should be free, period.
Panasonic for example has introduced so many progressive improvements through firmware updates to the Lumix LX-3 that in its current version 2.1, the camera is pretty much like a different camera from the one that was initially launched. So many improvements from color rendition, WB, introduction of 1:1 aspect ratio, better AF, improved stabilization and small but welcome tweaks have extended the model life. That's why I feel it is so much better than the competing Canon G10/G11 where in typical Canon fashion, the models change so quickly but the improvements are small and incremental, meaning rapid model obsolescence and forking out more money.

04-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Firmware updates should be free, period.
Panasonic for example has introduced so many progressive improvements through firmware updates to the Lumix LX-3 that in its current version 2.1, the camera is pretty much like a different camera from the one that was initially launched. So many improvements from color rendition, WB, introduction of 1:1 aspect ratio, better AF, improved stabilization and small but welcome tweaks have extended the model life. That's why I feel it is so much better than the competing Canon G10/G11 where in typical Canon fashion, the models change so quickly but the improvements are small and incremental, meaning rapid model obsolescence and forking out more money.
Just because a model has been superseded does not make it obsolete. Obsolescence implies that the camera is no longer useful as a camera, and this is clearly not the case.

Pet peeve of mine, the term "obsolete" is tossed about far too often, and often incorrectly.

Anyway, I , too, would not pay for firmware updates, unless perhaps new functions were added (as a previous poster stated). In this case, though, a "paid" firmware update should include warranty-style coverage (free repair) if the camera is borked during the updating process.
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #36

$5-10 per feature on an a la carte basis. Nothing for bugfixes.

However, before I shell out a dime for my K-X, I want built in intervalometer and lens-specific AF correction.

Both missing features were advertised in the product's specifications.
04-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote

However, before I shell out a dime for my K-X, I want built in intervalometer and lens-specific AF correction.

The K7 was advertised with those features.

04-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I don't believe lens-specific AF correction was advertised for the kx, although the intervalometer was. However if those features are really important, than no entry level camera is going to be satisfactory. I don't believe that any of the Rebel cameras (including the new T2i) have this feature. In Canon country, you have to go to the xxD or xD classes to get this.
04-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #39

I didn't say I was going to send back my camera if they didn't institute those features.

However, if Pentax offers them in an upgrade, they had better not try to charge me for them.

www.pentax.com.au/pentax/downloads/Kx_Specsheet_Final.pdf
Attached Images

04-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I didn't say I was going to send back my camera if they didn't institute those features.

However, if Pentax offers them in an upgrade, they had better not try to charge me for them.

www.pentax.com.au/pentax/downloads/Kx_Specsheet_Final.pdf
I din't see any mention of interval shooting (maybe someone can find it?) but you've got Pentax nailed to the wall as far as Lens AF adjustment. Maybe you should write them.

Interestingly, this document is not available on the USA Pentax site.