Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Got it today, if fact an hour ago...Want to test video for best compromise in 16:9. Will try **. *** eats like a pig. Curious to see how 16:9 * looks as well.

02-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #17

I've got a white K-x and I love it. I am new to photgraphy and it is easy to use. I have gotten nothing but compliments on it as well. It looks sharp.
02-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

One thing I like about the white K-x is the way that people respond to it. Instead of looking like a little black weapon that might steal your soul, people are very warm to the white body as if it's a toy camera. I put some little bling decorations on mine to make it look even less threatening.

I hate to sound like a noob who only cares about how good his camera looks, but the responses are genuine.
02-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #19

Question about the colored K-Xs?

I am assuming that none of these are injection molded colors? It's paint on a black plastic shell?

I angrily rued the passing of the lightly pebbled basic dark grey plastic body just about every laptop computer came clad in til about five years ago. I still own an 'antique' Toshiba from 1999 that has seen some awe inspiring knocks and scuffles, overseas travel, bookbag combat, in car gps from coast to coast, etc.... and a quick wipe of windex and it STILL looks brand new. Seriously.

The first computer that I purchased subsequent to that one, about 2003, had silver painted trim around the lid and silver paint around the keyboard and on the palm rest. It looked like total hell within six months. I was irritated. The next laptop I purchased was, I made certain, pebbled dark gray/black. When I went shopping for my most recent laptop about two years ago, I was really , really frustrated by the lack of choice I reduced myself to in demanding an unpainted body. I had to stay basically within the 'business class' of laptops. I finally got an HP 'workstation'. It's a fine computer but upon closer examination (I purchased it online) they STILL found it necessary to paint the lid and the palm rests a dark silver!!!!!!!! I had unsightly wear and scores across the lid and on the edges (down to the black plastic) within a year.

For some silly reason I had not even thought about this experience while gazing so admiringly at all the K-X colors on the japanese webpage. When I was reading this thread it dawned on me. "What am I thinking?"

I'm not dismissing the painted bodies out of hand. I could stand on a street corner with a sandwich-board and proclaim "down with paint on laptops" and most people would ignore me or offer me change or spit on me. Paint is here to stay and most people, evidently, love it. Lots of folks change their laptops like a pair of jeans anyway, every six months, so what the hell. I'm just saying that it's probably something to consider for those of you looking at these cameras.

And if the plastic body is injection molded color. Then that's wonderful and none of this applies. Or if the paint is some carbon nanotube and ceramic amazement that takes all comers for years and comes out none the worse, then that's all good too.

But that IS a very, very, fine looking camera in white! And there's actually a good possibility that the white is indeed injection molded white plastic while the other colors are painted black bodies. Pentax may have anticipated the popularity of the white and dedicated a run for that body. Can anyone verify whether this is the case (so to speak)?

Last edited by frascati; 02-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Inactive Account

don't forget to upgrade the F/W, helps a lot w/ batteries.

and while you're at it, check for blurring/ghosting at 1/80-1/125
02-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Congrats on their recognition of you, i suppose Holga is going to send you one now
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frascati Quote
Question about the colored K-Xs?

But that IS a very, very, fine looking camera in white! And there's actually a good possibility that the white is indeed injection molded white plastic while the other colors are painted black bodies. Pentax may have anticipated the popularity of the white and dedicated a run for that body. Can anyone verify whether this is the case (so to speak)?
I can't comment on the other colors. On Pentax K-x white, I have used it for over three months. I honestly don't know the technical detail how Pentax actually makes it but the glossy white surface is non-reflective and it is quite resistant to dirt and smudges. I have this user report after three months of usage and it is shared with other user experience too

Pentax K-x White and Tokina SD 400mm f/5.6

Pentax K-x and Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro by Kiron

Pentax K-x White And Smudges

Though I can't say for sure in the future, I have a positive impression on the build material that are easy to clean and pretty much worry free for me in terms of smudges. My K-x body is as good as new after three months of frequent usage

Thanks,
Hin

02-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I get the impression that the body pieces are molded with colored plastics as opposed to being painted over black pieces. As Hin noted, keeping it clean hasn't been a problem.
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Why doesn't someone take a pocket knife and scratch their white K-x to see if the color goes all the way. I would prefer not doing it to mine to find out.