Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 pwns!

I'm compiling a list of all the things the K7 does vs a near competitor. The K7 flat out OWNZ.

Soon I'll be posting a rather comprehensive article on the comparison. Lets just say Pentax crosses the finish line first.

C

03-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
Nubi

It may well be that they are all the same after all.
03-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
I'm compiling a list of all the things the K7 does vs a near competitor. The K7 flat out OWNZ.

Soon I'll be posting a rather comprehensive article on the comparison. Lets just say Pentax crosses the finish line first.

C
Be interested to see that (hasn't it been gone over enough though?). I certainly don't think any of the cameras in that class (I'd say that's K-7, D300S, 7D) have a huge overall advantage. They are all extremely capable and have their good points. I chose the K-7 for size, quiet shutter, tight build quality, good price and shake reduction. It's certainly doesn't blow the competition away in other areas (AF, continuous shooting).

Same to me as the Pentax lens line up - it has some really strong suits and some definite disadvantages versus the competition.

I'd say K-7 owns for street photography. If I shot sports, I'd be shooting Canon/Nikon.
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ah yes

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Be interested to see that (hasn't it been gone over enough though?). I certainly don't think any of the cameras in that class (I'd say that's K-7, D300S, 7D) have a huge overall advantage. They are all extremely capable and have their good points. I chose the K-7 for size, quiet shutter, tight build quality, good price and shake reduction. It's certainly doesn't blow the competition away in other areas (AF, continuous shooting).

Same to me as the Pentax lens line up - it has some really strong suits and some definite disadvantages versus the competition.

I'd say K-7 owns for street photography. If I shot sports, I'd be shooting Canon/Nikon.
Depends on what you are comparing it too and for what circumstances. I haven't seen anything yet for what I'm gonna do.

Every camera has its strong suits and weak points.

To me, the best cameras are the ones when the sum total of their overall strengths and capabilities wins over similar products for the same price.

At this point, for the price, I don't see what can beat out the K7 for an overall, do it all, camera, for the price it is set at. And it has some qualities that no camera can match, at any price.

Carl

03-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112:
Depends on what you are comparing it too and for what circumstances. I haven't seen anything yet for what I'm gonna do.
Sounds interesting then, let me know when you do your write up.

And it has some qualities that no camera can match, at any price.
What are these? I can't think of any myself.

For me, it's a great all round camera, better in some ways than other cameras, poorer in some ways. It's not the world's fastest, quietest, smallest, best IQ-producing, or most well-built. It's just very good in all these ways.
03-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #36
Forum Member

I think I know what the other camera is. I'm looking forward to doing the same comparison as soon as my K7 arrives, although I won't be any good at writing an article about it
03-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Be interested to see that (hasn't it been gone over enough though?). I certainly don't think any of the cameras in that class (I'd say that's K-7, D300S, 7D)
Well the D90 is much closer to the K-7 price wise, so why not compare them?

The D300s and 7d are both $500/600 more than the K-7.... you could get 1 1/2 pentax K-7's for one D300s/7d which is fairly significant.

03-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #38
Inactive Account

but how do you use 1/2 a K-7?

seriously, the k7 is an excellent camera and as others have mentioned, on par with the competition in some ways, better in some ways and worse in some.

after having used one for a few days, i must say i LOVE this camera.

an extended 3 year warranty is great too! (i wish pentax would do the same for their high-end SDM lenses )

the much touted high-iso noise IMHO is not really that bad. yeah, kx is about 1-1.5 better in high-iso, but not really that bad as some folks make it seem.

IMHO
1600 is definitely very very good, 3200 is ok, 6400 is usable in emergencies

the difference isn't much
Canon EOS 7D Digital Camera Raw - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

at today's price, it's a steal.

of course, the next one up (k8 or whatever k9 woof woof) would most probably be better and also pricier. probably will come out in photokina this year and made available in 2/2011 and prices come down christmas 2011. that's almost a 2 year wait!

as for me i have to check with the finance minister if a K7 is "buy-able" today

Last edited by opiedog; 03-07-2010 at 05:03 AM.
03-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

What are the advantages of choosing a K7 over a D90? aside from weathersealing magnesium alloy body?
03-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
What are the advantages of choosing a K7 over a D90? aside from weathersealing magnesium alloy body?

Umm... having all your lenses stabilized?
And then there's the reduced dimensions, not just for the camera, but for the photo gear as a whole (this is what made me switch from Sony, amongst other things).

Now, this is just a personal choice, based on my own needs (I will be using a K7 together with small primes, and AFAIK Nikon couldn't offer me a stabilized 15/31/77 kit). I know it may not apply to others (to most people, probably).
03-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Pentax to me performance to weight ratio in an overall package is primarily important as a "travel" system. i'm looking forward to adding it as the primary body over my current K200D
03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Cezar, wait till you hold it

QuoteOriginally posted by cezarL Quote
Umm... having all your lenses stabilized?
And then there's the reduced dimensions, not just for the camera, but for the photo gear as a whole (this is what made me switch from Sony, amongst other things).

Now, this is just a personal choice, based on my own needs (I will be using a K7 together with small primes, and AFAIK Nikon couldn't offer me a stabilized 15/31/77 kit). I know it may not apply to others (to most people, probably).
First things that are important to me- build, handling, layout. Pentaxians that don't appreciate the K7 either don't need its design strengths, or haven't handled much of the competition.

Build was the first thing I noticed that sent me instantly in love with it. Nothing I've handled yet feels this solid (DSLR wise). Others come close, some real close, but the K7 feels like the best build DSLR I've used.

You bet I'm doing a write up about it, and I'll be comparing it to something It hasn't been compared to yet.

Only holding back here because I want all my motivation to spill out in the article.

Carl

Last edited by Rush2112; 03-07-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: El-typo
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #43

This thread is at great interest to me, as i intend to be soon K-7 user (i took a humble posture in saying "user" since I'll make the first steps, maybe someday i will consider myself as "owner", when the camera will share my vision and capture the moment). My experience is limited to some compact cameras, mostly an HP (with Pentax zoom lens though ). I will need it for buildings, some portrait, landscape and some stage shooting (indoor, outdoor festivals, nothing fancy). Main concern after reading opinions is about the "user-friendly" part, since i want to start this (i hope) long journey along with Pentax. For me K-7 seems like an old Aston Martin car, a beautiful piece of engineering that can perform outstanding, but for the person who has the knowledge to master it. Seemed to be some problems reported, including electronic level, capacitor issues, screen, sensor overheat, firmware etc., some real problems, some user errors. Should i be scared of all that, as a beginner, or manual reading combined with the actual use of camera, and some advice from you when needed would be enough?
Was considering also the D90, i had a chance to play with it (bulky for me though), made a little more "stable" impression on me, combined with what i read. But has no WR, VR is expensive, video is crap (not that i will use a lot), and does not have so many great old lenses to use.

I was a bit too long, this being my first post here, so if some of you got bored while reading and skipped to the end i take the chance to say "Hi, nice to meet you" to the friendliest community of camera owners and users.
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #44
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
This thread is at great interest to me, as i intend to be soon K-7 user (i took a humble posture in saying "user" since I'll make the first steps, maybe someday i will consider myself as "owner", when the camera will share my vision and capture the moment). My experience is limited to some compact cameras, mostly an HP (with Pentax zoom lens though ). I will need it for buildings, some portrait, landscape and some stage shooting (indoor, outdoor festivals, nothing fancy). Main concern after reading opinions is about the "user-friendly" part, since i want to start this (i hope) long journey along with Pentax. For me K-7 seems like an old Aston Martin car, a beautiful piece of engineering that can perform outstanding, but for the person who has the knowledge to master it. Seemed to be some problems reported, including electronic level, capacitor issues, screen, sensor overheat, firmware etc., some real problems, some user errors. Should i be scared of all that, as a beginner, or manual reading combined with the actual use of camera, and some advice from you when needed would be enough?
You can always set the K-7 to the Green mode: it is the simplest mode with the same level of ease as a point & shoot (P&S) camera. The next level is the P-mode that many K-7 people use. Typically it is an automatic mode but you can set some default preferences; you can go to manual using the dials and always cme back to the default preference by pushing the Green button.

Please do not confuse the Green mode (on the left dial) and the Green button on the top right of the back LCD. Both have their use and were discussed in a recen thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90880-no-raw-green-mode-k-7-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90880-no-raw-green...tml#post926461

Hope that the comment will help ..
03-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Should i be scared of all that, as a beginner, or manual reading combined with the actual use of camera, and some advice from you when needed would be enough?
Presumably then you've been reading other fora about other cameras. They all have their detractors, some like the K-7 because of its size (me), others don't like it because of its size! All brands of all electronics have problems, it's a judgement call.