Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #91
Igilligan

Rush 2112.... this K7 / K-x thing has gone too far

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Kx vs K7
Why cant Pentaxians just be happy that Pentax has 2 of the best DSLRS out on the market right now?
I don't understand the internal debate and I don't think that if I did I would agree with it anyways.
Both have design intentions and suit a different crowd. It would be one thing if both had the same sensors, but they don't.
My personal stance is rejoice that Pentax are on a role and are a heck of a lot more apt to consider your requests than other companies.
It could be a lot worse, you could be heavily invested into Alpha gear right now.
Perspective can do many things.
C
2112 --- Oh I spent way too many hours in that album....

It is painfully obvious to me why this internal debate is so touchy and can get heated... You have fine Pentaxians who spent $1300+ dollars on the K7, and a few months later an entry level body (that some are essentially buying in two kit combo for about $400 bucks) comes out with a sensor that many/all wish had been in the more expensive "flagship" model.

So instead of just taking photos with their wonderful K7's, some are spending a lot of time - pushing exposures, searching for the best Raw conversion and trying different noise reduction programs to try and get their K7 ISO 3200 Raw shots to equal the Kx Jpegs... (we won't even discuss the ISO 6400 jpegs as it is too sensitive)

Sadly some have gone over the deep end... Spending so many hours on this that they have abandoned their families and friends. A few in frustration have turned to alcohol and prescription painkillers. And one guy I know in the SF Bay area, is using Methamphetamine... staying up for days at a time, in an effort to get the K7 to equal the Hi ISO of the K-x. I am truly worried about our forum friends. We need to let this go!

There is gonna be some negative feelings. Plus idiots like me can' stop blathering on and on about usable hi-iso's and how it has changed the way we use our cameras bla bla bla... There is definitely some 'neener neener' going on here and it is tearing this forum apart...

03-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
since the 645D is out, we can all drop this HIGH ISO circus that has been going on, thanks to a few obsessed HIGH-ISO individuals. the 645D doesn't have the High ISO capability of neither 2009 APS-C Pentax dslrs, but from what I could tell, it is a beast capable of toppling both systems easily in terms of IQ due to it's massive DR. I'm hopeful that it is overly better as it is stated on paper than the S5pro. the question now is, would some people be willing to spend that much money to buy such system, or look again for a cheap alternative that could or maybe match it at 1 area and start shooting banters again? I do hope that people should be happy for what they have and start shooting rather than start pointless arguments that they their camera is better.

FWIW, both the K-7 and K-x sucks egg. 645D rules !

now, go on and lick your wounds, Gus. j/k
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Oh ok

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
2112 --- Oh I spent way too many hours in that album....

There is definitely some 'neener neener' going on here and it is tearing this forum apart...
Thats how I took it. I see a lot more of that nowadays on the net than in the past.

What a pity, such an awesome forum here too. Full of very smart and knowledgeable pentaxians- a different and curious breed- that are very helpful and intelligent.

the neener neener reminds me of the same addiction that is associated with watching Jerry Springer, once you start, you can't stop watching/participating.

But the fact is that people can stop. They just choose not too.

"if we choose not to decide, we still have made a choice" <--- there, the cheesy Rush quote perhaps you were expecting.

2112 is all about freewill, humanity, and going for the dream full bore in my opinion. It helps to keep things in perspective sometimes, hearing them give one last final push in that industry-giving it everything they had on that album- not knowing that album would ultimately give them the freedom they craved. Funny that they were ready to call it quits when they finished that one.

Carl

Last edited by Rush2112; 03-10-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: eltypo
04-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #94

the k7 is a higher level camera, it gots very good colors and good built .

04-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #95
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
"Why cant Pentaxians just be happy that Pentax has 2 of the best DSLRS out on the market right now?
Both have design intentions and suit a different crowd."

Good point and I fully agree with this. The thrust of the thread was to highlight the quality and standing of the Pentax dSLR over the Canikons, and these comments, as many other posts added nicely to the topic.

Since I started the thread originally {https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90510-k-7-vs-k-x-5...er-camera.html}, let me comment however to a few individuals that the PentaxForums.com has been a well-behaved, very helpful forum, especially compared to another forum (dpreview.com). I hope that it will remain a useful, fruitful and well-behaved discussion forum for the benefits of the large majority of Pentaxians.

I think that a few recent messages in this thread were dealing with some insignificant, minor issues: if some want to expose their anger and frustration against others, please use dpreview.com. If you are not happy with some posts, you do not have to reply.
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #96
Veteran Member

This thread is a bit silly, but I guess I'll indulge myself. The K-7 is an awesome prosumer series camera, and it totally attracts a group of people on it's own (the same group that the Canon 40D did when it was released). Unfortunately for Pentax, the K-x was a new breakthrough in sensor (from Sony, right?) when the K-7 used the older version that didn't quite have so good noise. But other than that, the K-7 is the only one in the group that has a magnesium body, and weather seals, which alone (other than the beautiful LCD) should be reason to set it apart from the crowd.
04-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #97
Forum Member

I feel given the high ISO (low light) performance, K-X is a fantastic camera for the price. Paired with great glass, you would be hard pressed to find the difference in pics compared to K7 on all but large prints.

My 2 cents. At the K7 price point, T2i/550D is unbeatable IMHO.

04-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #98
Forum Member

So instead of just taking photos with their wonderful K7's, some are spending a lot of time - pushing exposures, searching for the best Raw conversion and trying different noise reduction programs to try and get their K7 ISO 3200 Raw shots to equal the Kx Jpegs... (we won't even discuss the ISO 6400 jpegs as it is too sensitive)
04-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunaalbhasin Quote
Well look at it this way, whenever the K-7 successor is released, we'll love it for about a month, and then the K-y (lol) will be released and we'll think the K-9 (lol) is obsolete and has horribly noisy photos.
04-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure how this thread degenerated into a kx versus k7 thread. Basically, the kx beats the K7 in high iso situations. I don't use higher than 1600 that often and so it's not that important to me. Folks that shoot concerts a lot or in very low lighting need it and then it is useful. Other than that the K7 pretty much wins in every category.

I am glad to see technology progress and fully expect the sequel to the K7 to have a better sensor, although who knows what direction Pentax will take?
04-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #101
Veteran Member

My 2 cents. At the K7 price point, T2i/550D is unbeatable IMHO.
why is that?
04-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #102
Veteran Member

basing from your statement, you don't have a real idea on how RAW really works or what RAW really is, and why experienced photographers prefer shooting with it rather than use Jpeg. it's not merely for pushing exposures and NR purposes, if that's what your concept about RAW is. RAW is more than what you think it is for than just NR and exposure adjustment.

fyi, in-camera jpegs are not better than RAW converted jpegs. nor does camera NR is better than software NR. and NR only takes less than a minute to process depending on the level of IQ you want your images to appear which apparently the in-camera NR is incapable of doing or how much time you want to spend on the workflow of your images. push-processing and pull-processing takes less than a few seconds to do. it's not that really difficult for someone who has time for it or knows what it is.

I was a jpeg shooter once, and I can attest the difference between using RAW and merely shooting plain jpegs.

in a year, the k-x and ISO12,800 would be nothing more than just a thing of the past as someone had mentioned.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-08-2010 at 07:02 AM.