Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I believe in slr for stills and camcorder for video, have been drooling over Vixia HF S10.
Just my2cents.

Cheers, Mike.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
But if you can have both in the same package, it's a whole lot better. Especially when you have kids and have a bunch of their stuff to pack around, one less thing really makes a difference as to whether you take it or leave it at home.
I think Hemi345 understands my dilemma best. I really REALLY like my K20, but I truly need to eliminate the bulk of two cameras. When video is required... I'm currently resorting to a using my point 'n shoot... so any ability from an SLR would be a blessing. Managing young children, one still in a stroller, and the extra weight and bulk really do add up.

I'm just trying to reassure myself I won't be wanting for the quality of the K20 that I've now become accustomed to. I really don't want to give that up, but I realize the K-x is half the price of what the K20 was... probably an even trade even now... that just makes me think I giving up a lot.

The contributions here are really eye opening, BTW. Thanks.

I'm going to try a K-x locally and I'll let you all know of my impressions in a few days. Cheers all!

02-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, then I have another question. Why not go the best of both worlds and go for the K7? That way you still have your build quality, weather sealing, adjustable AF for multi lenses, plenty fast AF, all as well as full on HD video. Very nice once you learn to tame it.

I know you don't want to be 'selfish' as you put it but it might be worth saving for a little while longer and getting the other camera. I know nothing of your situation other than what you've spelled out but there are a lot of little things that can be cut to build the discretionary spending fund. I use to call it the Obscure entertainment fund. Giving up junk food (bugar king, mcsquirts, windy's, etc) saved a ton of cash..

I think you could make good use of the Kx, don't get me wrong but given your statements on how fond you are of the K20d, it's something to think about. Right now you can do what you need to albeit with a little added bulk but you aren't missing anything as long as you have both cameras..

02-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, then I have another question. Why not go the best of both worlds and go for the K7? That way you still have your build quality, weather sealing, adjustable AF for multi lenses, plenty fast AF, all as well as full on HD video. Very nice once you learn to tame it.

Well, I'm trying to not spend much extra, and I'd have to put in an extra $500 for the K-7. The K-7 is my first pick though, but price is an issue.

Anyway, I just handled a K-x at the local dealer's, and wow, it is small and light. Smaller than the K100D I'd wager. The SR was audible on playback Hemi, you were right... so that's a con. I brought my K20D and a lens of mine, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD. I took some casual shots and compared.

First, the high ISO handling on the k-x is a little better. I didn't find that it's light years ahead, but it's noticeably better. The K-x feel GREAT with the kit lens, and I'm guessing it would do great with all the pancake DA series lenses (which I hove none of ). However, when the K-x is paired with the tamron, it feels... weird. Like it's nose heavy... too much lens for the camera. I'll have to get used to it or sell off the Tamron if it's still bugging me in a couple of months. On the other hand, I'm guessing my little M primes will do great!

Resolution difference is actually noticeable to me as well, albeit marginal. The K20D has a little more fidelity at low ISO... I was surprised that I could tell the difference (at 100% peeping of course). So admittedly I will be giving up a bit of resolution.

On to AF. Holy smokes... I was surprised. It's as fast as the K20, for sure, even with the larger Tamron lens. I did not miss the AF indicators as I thought I would. The back LCD screen can be turned off while shooting, I had to ask the dealer about that, because having it on all the time was extremely distracting. That could have been a deal breaker.

All in all, I think I will make the switch. I'm going the ebay the K20D or find somebody locally who wants it. Thanks for all the help everyone.
02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #19

The K-x is a great one-hand camera when the 18-55 or short prime is mounted, but becomes uncomfortable for one-handed use when I have the 55-300 mounted because of the small grip. I'd still rather have the smaller body and steady the bigger lens with my other hand than deal with a big body all the time.

But the big question for you is, what color are you gonna get?

02-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
Anyway, I just handled a K-x at the local dealer's, and wow, it is small and light. Smaller than the K100D I'd wager. The SR was audible on playback Hemi, you were right... so that's a con. I brought my K20D and a lens of mine, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD. I took some casual shots and compared.
Is the 28-75 your day to day lens? I find that the balance is acceptable on the K-x, but nowhere as good as K10d / K100d. K-x is much better balanced with something like the DA ltds or FA primes, or even takumars Nevertheless, I think one can get used to the 28-75 + K-x combo, since it's nowhere as bad as K-x + 70-200/2.8
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Is the 28-75 your day to day lens? I find that the balance is acceptable on the K-x, but nowhere as good as K10d / K100d. K-x is much better balanced with something like the DA ltds or FA primes, or even takumars Nevertheless, I think one can get used to the 28-75 + K-x combo, since it's nowhere as bad as K-x + 70-200/2.8
Yes, the 28-75 is the most commonly used lens, by far. The camera felt much more balanced with the small kit lens though. It is reassuring to know I will get used to it. My K-x will be arriving next week.