Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Wasim

The exposure compensation does not work in Manual exposure mode with the K10 with any lens.

This seems logical to me, as I am in Manual mode, so if I want more exposure I adjust it myself.
I might have framed it wrong. I also thought that the OP had been using M-series lenses here. This may only apply to k20d and k-7, too. Anyway, EV-comp works in Manual mode with M-series lenses, or with A-series lenses not set to "A" aperture position, in conjunction with green-button metering only, where the use of green button is set to Tv-shift (k20d custom fn# 26). Try selecting an aperture on the lens and hit the green button, which sets the shutter speed. Now dial in EV-comp and hit the green button again, while keeping the same aperture. This will set a different (compensated) shutter speed. In other words, the green button factors in the EV-comp setting once pressed.

I'm uploading a couple of example -- the 2nd pic is +1EV of the 1st pic; the 4th pic is -1EV of the 3rd pic. Hopefully, the exif will be attached.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wasim

I know ev comp is available on the K20 and K7 in Manual mode, but the post by Deiberson which you commented on was specifically referenced to the K10.

The K10 does not have this feature.
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Why do you need EV Comp in manual mode? If you want to add one stop, just take the camera's recommended setting and open up one aperture stop or slow down one shutter speed stop. Simply consider the center point of the meter to be one hash-mark to the right. To underexpose by one stop use the hash-mark to the left.

For instance, it's winter and I want to shoot with my M-50 at F8 outside. Lots of snow so I want to constantly overexpose 1 stop. Hit the green button then turn the shutter wheel two clicks (one stop) to compensate for underexposure, then two clicks more for overexposing the snow. As it turns out I'm better off not touching the green button as it will not get me anywhere near the exposure I want. However, if I could have added +2EV compensation the green button would nail the exposure immediately.
02-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Wasim

I know ev comp is available on the K20 and K7 in Manual mode, but the post by Deiberson which you commented on was specifically referenced to the K10.

The K10 does not have this feature.
My mistake, Peter. Sorry about that. I assumed that k10 and k20 had identical or and/or similar bodies, features, functions, while k-7 was somewhat re-designed. This sure becomes a bit cumbersome without Fn#26. How do people go about setting exposure quickly then? Use the DoF lever and adjust shutter with rear-wheel to balance out the EV meter?

02-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wasim

Regarding the lack of Ev comp in manual exposure mode on the K10

I dont think this is an issue when using a modern lens as the green button will accurately meter, and any comp can be applied manually.

With older lenses where manual exposure must be used I dont think the omission of Ev comp is an issue either. It is well documented that the K10 does not meter well with the green button on these lenses, and my experience (I have a lot of M lenses) is that it is not simply a case of increasing exposure by say 1.5 stops as the overexposure is progressive as you stop-down.

If I am using an M lens it will not be because I want to capture a quickly changing scene, so I have time on my hands to make an initial exposure (I often don't even use the green button or meter at all). I then arrive at my final exposure by studying the histogram.

I can see a situation where an Ev comp facility would complicate matters if after having shot a scene at f8 I then want to shoot the same scene at f2.0 Now I just select 4 stops faster on the shutter dial. If I had Ev comp applied I would have to adjust that too as I know at f2 the green button does not overexpose the image as much as it does at f8 !
02-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
the reason i posted was because of the examples mentioned above. specifically in the snow. i don't want to meter at 0. so pressing the green button in that regard doesn't help me. what would help with the M lens would be if i could see the meter and move the e-dial over to compensate.

i realize that this can be accomplished by moving the shutter and or stop....but at this point in my photography career, i'm not that confident in my ability to nail the correct measurements. in this case...the ev meter would be nice.

so...this is only for my M lens correct? i should have no problems with my A series or later models?

thanks for the responses.

marc....it sounds like i should switch my digital dof preview to optical. from quick trial and errors...if i have to take my eye out of the viewfinder to look at the digital preview, it defeats the purpose of the shot b/c when i recompose, i most likely will not have the same exact shot as i did before the preview, right?
02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But if you'd like confirmation you did it correctly, the DOF preview does the trick with a manual lens.
yeah..i can't get mine to show the ev meter with an M lens and dof preview. weird. i must have a setting selected or something. i also don't see any changes in the optical preview. i wonder if the 2 issues are related?
i purchased the body from marketplace so i wonder if the original owner changed a setting. if you know the secret to setting it back let me know. if not i'll just zero the meter and move the shutter speed as you suggested. my stops are set to 1/2 so im assuming 2 clicks for every plus or minus 1ev.

02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
the reason i posted was because of the examples mentioned above. specifically in the snow. i don't want to meter at 0. so pressing the green button in that regard doesn't help me.
Sure it does. As I already explained, hit the green button to set a shutter speed that zeroes the meter, then slow the shutter down a couple of clicks from there.

QuoteQuote:
what would help with the M lens would be if i could see the meter and move the e-dial over to compensate.
And as I also explained, while you don't really need to see the meter to do this, if you would like to see the meter to verify you did it correctly, simply do an *optical* DOF preview (has to be optical - you need to set it up that way in your custom options). But agan, you don't need a meter to do this. if you hit the Green button to set a shutter speed that zeroes the meter, than you halve the shutter speed you *will* see +1.0 on the meter. There is no guessing or expertise involved. Halving the shutter speed resulsts in a +1 EV on the meter, every time. so if you have your wheel set to change shutter speed in /2 stop increments, two clicks of the wheel *will* get you to +1, just as it does when dialing in exposure compensation in other modes.

QuoteQuote:
so...this is only for my M lens correct? i should have no problems with my A series or later models?
Assuming you leave the aperture ring on the "A" position, then everything should work normally. Only when setting aperture using the aperture (your only option with "M" lenses) do you need the DOF preview to see the meter.

QuoteQuote:
marc....it sounds like i should switch my digital dof preview to optical. from quick trial and errors...if i have to take my eye out of the viewfinder to look at the digital preview, it defeats the purpose
Yes, and doesn't help a bit, because the digital preview does *not* display a meter reading. Only the optical preview displays the meter - right in the viewfinder where it belongs.
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

yeah..i can't get mine to show the ev meter with an M lens and dof preview. weird. i must have a setting selected or something. i also don't see any changes in the optical preview.
You have to be in M mode in order for any of this to work, and you have to have optical preview selected. Assuming that is true, doing the optical preview will stop down the lens to the selected aperture. You will hear the blades closing and see the viewfinder dim (assuming the aperture ring isn't set wide open, in which case no chang would or should be visible), and the meter will display.

Oh, one other thing - you may have to half-press the shutter first to "wake up" the metering system, which times out after a certain (user definable) period of inactivity. After the half-press, *then* doing the DOF preview should work.
02-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... <SNIP>...
marc....it sounds like i should switch my digital dof preview to optical. from quick trial and errors...if i have to take my eye out of the viewfinder to look at the digital preview, it defeats the purpose of the shot b/c when i recompose, i most likely will not have the same exact shot as i did before the preview, right?
That's correct - if you set your dof to optical preview in the menu, when you hold the on switch in the dof preview position, a metering scale will appear in the viewfinder. Your longest finger can then be used to change the shutter speed at the same time with the front e-dial.

If you want your camera to meter more closely to correct with lenses that do not have an A position on the aperture ring, use a *ist D focusing screen, such as the LL-60 I use. Both my M series lenses meter correctly with it. It seems that the metering issues have something to do with the brighter screen in the later digital SLR cameras.
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Here is how I do it usually, I hit the green button when there is an entirely new scene I want to shoot. Then squeeze off a digital preview and check the histogram, adjust shutter or aperture and I am ready. (At weird apertures I might do a second digital preview).
02-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #27

Peter,

I don't use the green button to set exposure every time either. It's impossible for me to remember the overexposure amount by f-stops, anyway. And I have only one M-lens! I usually get the initial reading wide open (perhaps a slight underexposure), when condition isn't varying, then adjust shutter as I stop down. Works better and more accurately than green-button metering! I tend to work only within f4 to f11 with my M-200 -- to keep the shutter high, as I have weak arms -- a fairly manageable 3-bit range. This way, I rarely need to check the histogram after every shot. If I had a faster lens, say f2, I'd first meter (correctly) off of f5.6 and maintain that 3-bit range either side of that (and drop it to 2-bit as I get older).
02-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
still not getting the meter with the dof preview. its obviously a setting issue. where is the optical preview in the custom settings menu? i looked for it but don't see anything. this has got to be the problem b/c when i use the dof preview....the lesns stops down, the viewfinder turns black for about a second and then the preview appears in the lcd. there is no meter for reference in the viewfinder.
and i am in M mode. meanwhile, i'll continue to look in the manual.
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
still not getting the meter with the dof preview. its obviously a setting issue. where is the optical preview in the custom settings menu? i looked for it but don't see anything. this has got to be the problem b/c when i use the dof preview....the lesns stops down, the viewfinder turns black for about a second and then the preview appears in the lcd. there is no meter for reference in the viewfinder.
and i am in M mode. meanwhile, i'll continue to look in the manual.
Page 34 in the K10d manual -
[Custom Settings]
[Preview Method]
[>] to display the 2 options
[1] Optical Preview
[<]
[OK]
02-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i found it just as i received this response and it solved all of the problems discussed in this thread.

optical dof works....and ev meter in the optical dof preview works with the M lens.

thanks again for the friendly support.

hopefully the thread at least helps someone else out down the line.