Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x Optimal Settings...

I just got my camera 5 days ago and have been taking pictures to get the feel of it (since it is my first slr). The picture quality and the performance of the camera have been spectacular! I am so glad to finally have a dslr, beats any advanced point and shoot for sure.

After reading through the instruction booklet, there are so many different settings like shadow correction and highlight correction, etc. I just don't know where to begin. Which to turn on and which to leave off.

Here is my question for all those advanced K-x users out there:

Any optimal/best settings for the K-x? The pictures I take range from indoor pictures of the kids, to outdoor landscapes and architecture. Any input about settings would be great. By the way, I think I have decided to shoot RAW DNG files. I am still getting use to the software that comes with the camera. I have a mac, and it seems like there are alot of quirks to it.

02-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My standing advice: leave all settings at their default until you start to see a reaosn why you personally might want to change them. After all, what makes you think your personal tastes are going to happen to coincide any better with those of whatever random people on the net happen to like versus those the folks at Pentax think make sense?

All you really need to do is to learn about exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and how the various exposure modes (P, Av, M, etc) let you control these parameters. All else is frivolous nonsense in comparison.
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Makes sense and thank you for the input.
02-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
efg

Photos: Gallery
Speaking as a fellow newbie, here are my feelings on the subject....

I was taking some practice shots at home of a statue, and found that shadow correction "On" made for a nicer shot so I left it on. A couple days later I went to a baby shower in a restaurant and was irritated to find that most of my pictures of people looked too bright. (Looked good on LCD, but not good at all on the computer at home.)

I remembered only afterwards about the shadow correction. All it did in that case was make all the people look odd. I mean people need some shadows or they look flat and overly bright.

So I agree that some of those settings should be left alone unless you learn form experience that a boost will help.

However, I would like to know also from other KX users if they keep sharpening up or where they set NR to kick in and how much, if they use natural or bright for day to day shooting, etc. It would be nice to see a discussion of those kinds of things. Forum people usually tell you you need to discover what works for you, but I always find it so useful to know what other people do in general.

02-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

RAW is optimal Then you have control over all these things later.