Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can try removing the batteries after the initial exposure to see if it writes to the card immediately!

10-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried this on my K20D. Took a long exposure and then turned off the camera for 30 seconds to try to get around the DFS. But when I turned on the camera, it just continued with the DFS as if I had never turned the camera off. Looks like jobs are buffered on chip.
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
On the K-7, you can "switch it off", but this doesn't mean what it says, because it automatically activates on Bulb mode for any exposure above 30s. I believe it is the same for K-x but I don't own one so cannot verify this.

On the K-5, current reports are that it doesn't automatically activate on Bulb mode for any exposure above 30s if you switch it off. Hallelujah.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone tries to install K-5 firmware onto the K-7.
That would be a good thing!
Too bad this isn't possible with the K7 now.

JP
10-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I tried this on my K20D. Took a long exposure and then turned off the camera for 30 seconds to try to get around the DFS. But when I turned on the camera, it just continued with the DFS as if I had never turned the camera off. Looks like jobs are buffered on chip.
.. and if you turn it off for a second time, then back on, it just starts up as per normal, and doesn't write the initial photo to the card

well on a K-x anyway!

10-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone tries to install K-5 firmware onto the K-7.
With predictably disastrous results, then cries like a baby to the forums when Hoya won't repair it under warranty.
10-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #21

I have to say the DFS is a right pain if you are doing any form of Light Painting - something I've been getting back into lately with the dark nights coming in. Shame really as it wasn't something I was aware of when I bought my K20D which ticked every other box I needed.

A tad frustrating!
10-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Via another Pentax forum I came across a firmware hack that many people seem to have successfully used to disable DFS on cameras including the K200D, K20D and K-7.

The instructions for the hack are here:
#pentaxda Blog on deviantART: Turning DFS Off

a zip of all the files you need is here:
http://darky.is-a-geek.net/debug_mode/disable_dfs.zip

Funnily enough, the author/discoverer of the DFS disabling hack is a member of PentaxForums and discusses the hack here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/112734-k20d-dfs-startrails-3.html

fyi. I haven't tried the hack.

10-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Rawr - this doesn't switch off DFS on K-7.
10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Rawr - this doesn't switch off DFS on K-7.
Sorry. I haven't tried this hack. But the readme.txt does mention the K-7:

Extract files on the root of SD card.
For K10D,K20D,K200D & K7D : Open SD trap door while powering the device.
For Km & K2000 : press "Delete" during turn-on.
Enable debug mode : Press right key to change <DIS> to <EN> on the DEBUG MODE line.
Press "OK".
Dark Frame substraction is now off.
If you switch off and on the camera, you will have to press "OK" to validate the settings.
If you want to come back to standard behaviour, set "DEBUG MODE" back to <DIS>.
DFS is now as previously.
10-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah - appreciate that. I tried this though, sometime ago, and it just doesn't switch it off in K-7 in bulb. The inbuilt functions differ in some way, I suspect it's an additional function over and above "NR" which kicks in for bulb above 30s.