Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Igilligan

wow after using the Kx for 6 weeks

The K20 feels like a big old brick with fat round edges! I am almost afraid to put the grip back on it!

02-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Gus, which aspect of the K-x wow you the most? The smaller body that fits in your hand without feeling fatigue for the whole day or the high ISO performance? or the other stuff like the fancy color...

Thanks for sharing... I know I probably be looking at the K-7 (it's a bit heavier but similar size (close enough) to the K-x.
02-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well Gus, now you know why I won't even go near a K-x or a K-7. I played with a K-7 for about 15 minutes several months ago and then picked up my K10D. Night and day difference. I don't know what my reaction would be if I picked up a K-x!

Glad you are enjoying your camera!

Steve
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am afraid to admit it, but I am finding hard to justify keeping the K10D...

Yesterday i had a shooting in the snow, and I thought i was going to use the K10D + 50-135 + strobes..

I said 'f*ck it", let me try the Kx, some 3200 ISO and the 77 LTD...

Geeez.... the setup was PERFECT, no need for flashes and SOO COMPACT... I did have to be careful with the snow, but all went fine...

I dunno... I am using the K10D less and less.... I try to pretend the low ISO on the K10D is better and that both wheels help a lot, blah blah blah... but the Kx is so compact and the ISO so flexible... there is no hiding that....

02-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

Other than the lightweight, the AF is the fastest in the Pentax lineup.
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I dunno... I am using the K10D less and less.... I try to pretend the low ISO on the K10D is better and that both wheels help a lot, blah blah blah... but the Kx is so compact and the ISO so flexible... there is no hiding that....
Your lenses are all AF... so it's hard to justify I see you have the WR Kitlens, do you find being able to shoot in pouring rain not enough reason to keep K10D?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K10D is an old horse that needs to be retired.

02-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My two cents, no doubt in my mind the K-x is an amazing camera, I've never had the opportunity to shoot one, and sure would like one. That said, I've held one, and to my taste anyway, the feel of the 200D is WAY better: more substantial, better ergonomics and handling, and it's WR.

I wish they would have put the K-x guts in a 200D body.
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Reminds me of saying an Leica M3 is an old horse that needs to be retired.
I disagree..strongly. I've had K10D since Nov. 2007....1000's of shutter actuation's...great pix.
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just came back from comparing K-x and K10d at ISO 100... and quality wise they're almost the same. I actually dont know which one is better. The K-x sensor is so much more versatile though thanks to the high ISO. Although I find the K-x very 'cold' at low ISO, sort of nikon/tamron-like, but in no way unpleasant. K10 has more of that pentax color magic. I'm not talking about white balance here, just rendering from the sensor. Although I do find that the K-x has more contrast by default; without changing any settings, the RAW is already more contrasty than the K10. Might be just a product of higher MPIX though?

If you never used K10d, I dont think you'd be able to tell the difference. This does make it hard to justify having both! I'm keeping mine for prism and WR. One day I'll upgrade to K20 /K-7 so I can use LV for focusing with taks

PS... Hmm, but if I use LV for focusing all the time, wouldn't that make prism sort of redundant?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-17-2010 at 10:02 PM.
02-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I see you have the WR Kitlens, do you find being able to shoot in pouring rain not enough reason to keep K10D?
Hey, dont get me wrong, I do have the 18-55WR & 50-135WR and these come VERY handy now and then... And I do need a WR body to match them...

But in reality, I've been using the K10D (and the K100D, which I also own) WAY LESS than I thought...

And it is not only "compactability"... because before the Kx came in, I already had the K10D, K100D and the DL. If I needed something small, I'd go for the K100D. If I needed a beater, i'd take the DL. And as my main camera, the beloved K10D.

But life after Kx has been basically, well, Kx.

Honestly, and this has been said many times, a K7 with Kx sensor and a compact Kx would be JUST FREAKING PERFECT. Nothing else, and I'd be very satisfied.

02-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

I refuse to accept this. It is a great camera, works beautifully, and it is not worth selling it (what, for $300? Insane!)

And somehow, I pretend to believe the low ISO K10D photos are more "pentax-like" than low ISO Kx pictures... It is hard to explain, but it does seem like it.
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Although I find the K-x very 'cold' at low ISO, sort of nikon/tamron-like, but in no way unpleasant. K10 has more of that pentax color magic. I'm not talking about white balance here, just rendering from the sensor.
somehow i feel the same way... the K10D does seem to deliver a better quality picture, very Pentax-style.
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The K20 feels like a big old brick with fat round edges! I am almost afraid to put the grip back on it!
Big difference, for sure. I love the K-x for Leica-style inconspicuous people shots. It has me taking shots where I would not have brought a camera, or would have brought a P&S.

However, for many shots, the extra size of the K10/20 is still welcome. For example, with longer lenses (200mm, 300mm), my hand-held results with the larger bodies have been better. I also still prefer the K10d/K20 for my manual focus and expose, "K" and "M" lenses. The two wheels and better finder make adjustments and focus must easier on the older lenses. But then, I've been shooting a bit with the 645 lately, so my perspective on the larger bodies may be different.

I'd say the feeling shooting the K20d is a bit like getting into my Maxima after driving my wife's Mini Cooper. Neither is really large, and both have their advantages, but you do notice the difference.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am almost afraid to put the grip back on it!
I'll be more than happy to take the grip off your hands.