Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x green button question?

I am still new to my K-x but toda I just realized something very nice. Since I got the camera to use older m series and k series lenses I immediately set the green button up to auto stopdown meter. Which means it can't be the dof/preview button. But I accidently hit the av button next to the green button and it auto stop down metered. So I set my green button to be the dof/preview button and "YAY" the avbutton still auto stop down meters..

is this unique to the K-x because otherwise I figured it would have been brought up somewhere about the k20 or k7 or even k-m?

If this has already been discussed please forgive me But I find this to be a perfect set up for my own style.

Thanx

Eric

02-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, the K-x is probably the only camera to let you assign a button to do the DOF preview - but that's only because all the other models have a dedicated DOF preview lever (doubles as the on-off switch) and hence don't need to double up one of the buttons for that function. Except the K-m (EDIT: I originally wrote K-x by mistake), which doesn't offer DOF preview at all.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
02-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
I am still new to my K-x but toda I just realized something very nice. Since I got the camera to use older m series and k series lenses I immediately set the green button up to auto stopdown meter. Which means it can't be the dof/preview button. But I accidently hit the av button next to the green button and it auto stop down metered. So I set my green button to be the dof/preview button and "YAY" the avbutton still auto stop down meters..

is this unique to the K-x because otherwise I figured it would have been brought up somewhere about the k20 or k7 or even k-m?

If this has already been discussed please forgive me But I find this to be a perfect set up for my own style.

Thanx

Eric
I suspect the K-m and K200D work the same way, it's a legacy of the *istDS and the necessity to implement stop-down metering without a Green Button (the DL and K1x0D's also lacked the green button, although they all used the AE-Lock button rather than the Av button.
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, the K-x is probably the only camera to let you assign a button to do the DOF preview - but that's only because all the other models have a dedicated DOF preview lever (doubles as the on-off switch) and hence don't need to double up one of the buttons for that function. Except the K-x, which doesn't offer DOF preview at all.
I think you mean the K-m doesn't offer DOF preview.

02-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks - yes, of course I meant that. I'm editing m original post to avoid confusion.
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the help. I find this aspect of the K-x to be a nice feature. I admit I would prefer a dedicated button but Hey look at the price to performance ratio I have to say I like it better everyday.

Eric
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I cant get this DOF preview. I tried the dof preview button its located in the on off switch it just clicks and the preview is not displayed on the screen? anyone know how this works?
02-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In that case, the DOF preview is displayed in the viewfinder (optical preview). The image in the viewfinder goes darker (how much depends on the selected aperture) and you can (more or less) check the DOF.

The click that you hear is the sound of the closing of the aperture.

There might be a setting to get it on the display, but I'm too lazy to check your manual

PS I think digital preview is the option where it is displayed on the display; this however implies a shutter activation and you just as wellcan take the photo and judge after that (in my opinion)

02-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thx for that. So if there is a shutter activation there is really no need for the preview since taking it and viewing is much clearer
02-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #10

I was playing with the K-X and my M lenses this past weekend and found the same thing. I was confused as to why the AV button and the Green button (set to Tv shift) performed the same action.

I am glad that someone else found the same thing I did.
02-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Thx for that. So if there is a shutter activation there is really no need for the preview since taking it and viewing is much clearer
If you don't mind looking taking your eye off the viewfinder and looking at the screen instead, sure, it's just as good to use the digital preview (takes pictures, displays on screen) instead of optical. The optical preview is more a holdover from film when this was the *only* way to check DOF. But the optical preview does serve another extremely important function with manual lenses - it's the only way to see a "live" meter reading.