Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #1

Comparables to K20D

Hi folks. It's me the newbie again. I was doing some more research yesterday about Pentax vs other brands. I found this one site where the guy said that the K20D could most be compared to the Canon EOS 40D. But that you'll pay quite a bit more for the 'privilige' of buying a Canon. lol Listen I have nothing against Canon per se. I just don't understand the 'price gouging'? Anyway, would you say that the K20D is most comparable to the Canon 40D?

02-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's approximately the same era and price, yeah. The slightly-updated 50D may be a more fair comparison. See dpreview:

Canon EOS 50D Review: 28. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review
02-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi, you the newbie! Or is that me the newbie... anyway...

I just recently made the switch from shooting Canon to Pentax. I had been shooting with my Rebel XT and had gotten to the point where I was ready for an upgrade. So, I ended up looking at Canons, naturally. The 40D and 50D were leading contenders as I had already purchased a few decent lenses for my Rebel, but in the end the weather sealing, built in in body SR (I read volumes on the +/- of in body vs. in lens SR/IS) and compatibility with my wife's lenses (she has a K10d) won out. I found a great deal on a K20d, sold my Canon glass, and couldn't be happier.

As for the K20d / Canon 40D/50D comparison, I'd say that the features of the K20 are more comparable to the 40D than the 50D. i.e. The 50D's got video recording. The 40D doesn't. So, from my perspective the Canon 40D is most comparable to the Pentax K20d, and the Canon 50D is more comparable to the Pentax K7.

Just my .02
02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Direct comparisons just aren't too easy: I think the K20d just doesn't fit in the usual 'market segment' schemes. On actual price you might pay, there's no comparison I'm aware of: in some areas the K20d compares to far more expensive machines from other brands: in others, the big companies may have faster AF or video, if you care about that, in their new entry-level models. It all really depends what's most important to you: for me, the important stuff (IQ, full controls, seriously-built body, good finder, the weathersealing, etc come to mind) compares to like Nikon D300's and maybe Canon's new 7d (before that came out they'd compare the K20d to the full-frame 5d, )

I think lots of things compare for image quality, by now. When I was shopping, the choice for the price range was more like used Nikon d70's and maybe Canon 30ds, if that. There's probably more choices, now, since just about everyone's had another generation of camera models out since then.

What I'd do is make a little list of what available for what you are willing to spend has which features and such and really compare priorities, I think these K20ds really kind of cross the camera 'classes.'