Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX Liveview Question

I'm waiting for my "stuff" to finally arrive, but in the meantime, I'm getting a headache from reading the 300-page manual. (Man, this is a LOT more complicated than my Spotmatics.)

My principal task at work will be shooting small parts (circuit boards, bolts, etc.) via a Tamron 90mm Macro and Sigma Ring Flash. Nothing creative here--just maxing out on DOF on a tripod--so I figure I'll shoot ISO200, spot AF, SR off, and 2-second self-timer for the mirror lock-up feature. (BTW--can I make the timer a green button function?)

My confusion is Liveview versus Optical or Digital Preview. The warnings for LV getting hot and maxing out at 5 minutes of use has me scratching my head, as does why use it in the first place if I can simply use preview?

In other words, I can see where LV is great where you're moving lights around and such and seeing DOF on the fly, but for what I'm doing, doesn't preview do the same thing? Or is Optical Preview basically just giving me DOF preview, and Digital Preview is giving me less than LV?

I miss the simplicity of my Instamatic.

02-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

Digital Preview is basically a snapshot of what the actual photo should look like so you can check composition, exposure and focus.

It differs from LV because LV doesn't show you what the end result will really look like. I can put the shutter speed at 1/3000 for an indoor shot and know the end result will basically be a black image, but LV still allows me to see what I'm pointing the camera at.

You can use LV to compose your shot, then switch it off and use Digital Preview to see what the photo is actually going to look like with the settings you've defined.
02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
Digital Preview is basically a snapshot of what the actual photo should look like so you can check composition, exposure and focus.

It differs from LV because LV doesn't show you what the end result will really look like. I can put the shutter speed at 1/3000 for an indoor shot and know the end result will basically be a black image, but LV still allows me to see what I'm pointing the camera at.

You can use LV to compose your shot, then switch it off and use Digital Preview to see what the photo is actually going to look like with the settings you've defined.
But with a modeling lamp on the flash and digital preview, do you think it makes sense for me to use it for this application?
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I just answered my own question:

I just hit page 146 and can see how much easier is to see your settings in LV, instead of the viewfinder.

02-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
But with a modeling lamp on the flash and digital preview, do you think it makes sense for me to use it for this application?
I would use LV to initially compose my shot if I don't have the camera up at a comfortable position to use the OVF.

Personally, I haven't used the Digital Preview much other than to see what it's about. I'd rather just snap the pic and then review it on the screen. There are a lot of times I'll take a pic, use the LCD to review the shot, make a change, take another pic, etc. Then when I think I've got the image dialed in the way I want going by what I'm seeing on the LCD, I find that an earlier pic actually looks better on my PC. If I had used digital preview, I would have only maybe had one or two to choose from on the PC rather than all my attempts.