Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

K20 shuts down, help

I've had my K20 since May, 08, purchased new. This past week it has shut down after having fully charged batteries, it blinks and shuts down. So, thought my batteries must be toast, so off to London Drugs to buy a new one. Charged it up, put it in, works, go to change my card and shuts down again. Now, I have reset the factory settings. The key factor so far is when I change a Mem.Card and go to turn on the camera and it won't turn on. Take out the battery, put it back in and it will work. This is getting extremely frustrating. Wondering if anyone else is having or has had this issue. Was Pentax of any help?

Lorraine

02-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lorraine S Quote
I've had my K20 since May, 08, purchased new. This past week it has shut down after having fully charged batteries, it blinks and shuts down. So, thought my batteries must be toast, so off to London Drugs to buy a new one. Charged it up, put it in, works, go to change my card and shuts down again. Now, I have reset the factory settings. The key factor so far is when I change a Mem.Card and go to turn on the camera and it won't turn on. Take out the battery, put it back in and it will work. This is getting extremely frustrating. Wondering if anyone else is having or has had this issue. Was Pentax of any help?

Lorraine
Maybe the card is toasted. What happens if you turn the camera on without it? Are you trying to take Pictures when this happens? or does it just happen randomly? If you want to try photo taking ability of the camera, you can use the remote assistant (you don't need a card for it).

02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
i had similar problem when used cheap memory card
replace memory card with SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB or 16 GB and i think it will resolve the problem
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lorraine S Quote

Lorraine
No, i've never had this happen. Just brainstorming here:

Could the slide lock on the memory card be in the closed position, if so, change the lock to open and try again.

What if battery charger was toast? I think our K20's came with a 110 power assist cord, might see if your camera will operate on it, would give you more evidence that the battery charger was the problem. At least i think they came with one, not sure where my is at the moment :-)

Hope you find an easy solution,

02-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

What if battery charger was toast? I think our K20's came with a 110 power assist cord, might see if your camera will operate on it, would give you more evidence that the battery charger was the problem. At least i think they came with one, not sure where my is at the moment :-)

Hope you find an easy solution,
Charger could be gone but there is no way in the stock kit to power the camera from 110 (or 240 depending on where you are). Pentax wants us to spend more money to get that feature in the form of a separate power supply.

02-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #6

Location: City of Elliot Lake (North Eastern) Ontario, Canada
K10 & K20 does same to me.

It is/was the battery I got on Ebay from China.
Does the exact same thing as you describe. pop out the battery and put it back in most times works. I now use the original Pentax battery which never fails, all the time with the other as back up.
So, question? is the London Drug's battery an original Pentax?
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
London Drugs is a store, and yes the battery is pentax. I spoke with Pentax and the camera has gone in under warranty. It's a glitch, I had my cmos sensor go in the first month of ownership and now this.