Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

m-50 lens?

hey guys im brand new to the forum and to digital dslr's. i live way up here in Alaska so i have a lot of cool angles and scenes to shoot but not alot of pentax people to talk to. ive always been into photography and moved my way up from 35mm slr, to bridge cameras(about two years with those) and finally took the plunge and up graded to a dslr (made it easier sense i can write it off on my taxes for college).
so to my question. ive been reading alot of threads and scene alot of people talking about a "m 50" lens and was wondering what that is, my current lenses are 18-55 kit lens, 50-200 sigma, and a 8mm fisheye, does one of mine cover it???

02-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both of your zooms cover 50mm.

The M series is one of the generations of manual Pentax lenses. There were four 50mm lenses in it, with the 50mm f/2 being the most common:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F1.4
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F1.7
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F2
Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 50mm F4 Macro

There are a number of other 50mm K-mount Pentax lenses available in the K, A, F, FA, and D-FA series. I would suggest you read through the lens review database and some of the prime vs. zoom debates here on the forum if you want more information.
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i figured as much, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a specific lens
02-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, you might ant to read a book on basic photography to understand how a 50mm "prime" lens differs from a zoom lens that also covers 50mm - in particular, what it means that you zoom has a maximum aperture of f/4 (50-200) or f/5.6 (18-55) at that focal length, but the prime would have a maximum aperture of f/2, f/1.7, or f/1.4.