Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why won't Pentax...

fit a transflective screen on the cameras so it can be easily seen outside without having to contort your body and hands to shield it of all light?

Just a thought.

(For those of you who don't know how a transflective screen works, it reflects the ambient light back through the panel that produces the image. Instead of ambient light washing the image out, it actually backlights the image)

02-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #2

I had a few PDAs and cellphones with transflective screens and I didn't think they were all that much better in harsh sunlight. I had to actually aim the screen towards the sun to get the benefit. I remember the screens contrast being very low as well. I'd rather cup my hand around the screens they currently use.

Now if you had said "Why won't Pentax put a 920k screen on the K-x", I'd have replied "Hell yeah!".
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #3

It is a good idea, but it has to be sturdy, especially since this is how Pentax cameras are marketed. Thing is, patents are already taken by other brands for their mechanisms, which restricts Pentax.
04-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This too adds to the final cost of the marketed DSLR plus Pentax has to pay for the rights which would cost too.
Cupping the hands onto the screen is actually free and much more effective.