Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

It's the cost of buying a new camera.
Why didn't you research this before you made your purchase?

02-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a perfectly normal question to ask.

Manufacturers do love to charge you for new accessories whenever there's a new model...

For how many years did we get along with "regular" batteries for all of our electronic devices?

I might understand that power requirements have changed, but there should be a way to agree on one "form factor"...

How many different chargers/batteries do I need for all those mp3 players, handys, notebooks, cameras etc...
It's getting ridiculous...

At least every manufacturer should have the same form factor for all of his equipment.
Small pocket camera, use one or two "xyz"; larger camera, use four "xyz" etc...

This isn't right and no, being a "fanboy" defending this policy doesn't make it right either...

Best,
Michael

PS: And I haven't even gotten started about the negative influence this policy has on the environment!

Last edited by carpediem007; 02-19-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Something tells me Pentax doesn't manufacture the batteries themselves.

The K10D/K20D battery was a design shared with Minolta. I know some of the Pentax p&s batteries share a design with Olympus batteries. Who is the new one shared with? Who actually makes the batteries?

Or, on the flip-side, is this Pentax's first in-house dSLR battery design?
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

But if batteries are only $12.50 SHIPPED, isn't this just a mute point? For less than $30 you can bring your battery tally up to 3, which is more than enough for the majority.

02-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
Inactive Account

No offence, but Pentax doesn't owe us an explanation of what battery they choose to use in their product. It's their product - if you don't like it don't buy it.

c[_]
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
Forum Member

The third electrode of D-Li90 is for added safety; allowing for monitoring battery's temperature and shutting down electric circuits when the battery gets too hot. Now a lithium ion battery, with lots of energy packed in a tiny volume, is like a small bomb. You should have heard of a news where a poor Chinese guy was killed when his cell phone's lithium ion battery exploded. I would avoid buying third party batteries, especially when the battery cell is not Made in Japan.

So, I think added safety of K-7's battery is very nice. Also, the improved capacity is desirable now that K-7 takes videos which surely consumes lots of power.
02-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
Igilligan

There are many other things to complain about with the K7, but I get you have to start somewhere. And I do agree with the (Batteries as accessory) gouge.

Honestly 'they' meaning all manufacturers, could have standardized batteries a long time ago, only changing design size/shape when a paradigm shift in camera size or current needs arose. There could be 2 or 3 basic designs with variable current capabilities... (you don't shoot video) get the cheaper battery. But they do not, because there is no real incentive to. And they make a bunch of money on the (New model) battery as accessory scam.
Surely you are not going to buy a fancy pants dslr and then not buy a back up battery or two...

As to whether or not Hoya is greedy when it comes to accessories... come on folks would an evil company leave a $2 piece of plastic, (an existing lens hood) off of a Kit lens and then charge 64 dollars for it?

Here is my Battery story... 30 years ago I worked for Goodyear. I was in charge of the Battery Warehouse for northern and central California. We stocked approx 200-250 batteries of different size and shapes... There was no standardization and every manufacturer had different batteries, many with different batteries within their own models.
Now there are essentially three batteries types that are used by the majority of automobile manufacturers... You choose the cranking power (amps) but the battery for a toyota may fit the ford, honda, VW bla bla....

The automobile industry changed because there was more profit to not re-design the battery every time you made a new car.
But, if cars were like cameras and you had to buy 2 extra batteries to store in you trunk every time you bought a new car... You can bet I would still be running a battery warehouse somewhere.
Have you tried to buy a new key for a car lately... they have a $1 computer chip in them now, so it costs anywhere from 30 to 70 bucks to get a new key!!!! Almost as much as a battery.

There is money in proprietary accessories...
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
There is money in proprietary accessories...
Right...

Just think printer ink cartridges...
I understand ink was at times more expensive than gold...

Oh, I know, I know... You don't have to buy ink blah blah blah...

02-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right Gus, they certainly do make money on assessories and yes it anoys me too.
Unfortunately its a model that seems to be working in present society and try and name successful companies that don't do it at some level.

I don't think there is any doubt that the K-7 is an excellent camera.
But that doesn't mean I'm happy with the lack of battery standardisation in the industry as a whole and is why I have a lot gear that still uses AAs (including the K-x).
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #25

Original Poster
OK, the third electrode for not overheating is a perfect reason to pay for it. Especially given the video mode. Thanks for an informative reply!
02-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
Igilligan

Because we have had so much overheating with the K10- K20- K100 K200 and now with the Kx which also has video mode...

BULL SHITE
02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I doubt it's about overheating, but I also doubt that contact is just for show. I don't think any DSLR currently produced uses a 2 contact Li-Ion battery.
That means I believe Pentax could have a technical reason to change the battery, from the old Minolta NP400 design.
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
As much as I love Pentax, fanboys without real info can get annoying as well....
What can be more annoying than labeling other users as "fanboys" just because they did not agree with you?
"gimme a break"!!
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I have to disagree with the OP's perspective. Pentax is not a battery maker. Basically they choose a battery that fits the form factor of the camera and will work for increased usages of live view and video. They decided to change the battery. Yes, Pentax makes money on additional batteries that are sold by Pentax, but they don't even make the batteries. You can easily buy cheaper batteries on e bay, etc without any problem (I have some for my K20).

I am a little more disappointed that the grip is not interchangeable with the K20/10, but the new grip does add functionality and the ability to use AA batteries in a pinch.
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #30

Original Poster
Well, the grip had to change as the base is smaller. So we're kind of glad they have a smaller grip, with the matching ISO and +/- buttons to boot. And it shows the level in vertical mode. That's all just great. Now am getting a FA 50mm to see how small the whole package is with or without the grip -- am so glad I stuck to Pentax instead of 4/3 with a GF1 -- I can try a DA* 16-50 mm too, seems not that big.