Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

new batteries? gimme a break!

Got the K-7 today, almost 3 years exactly to the day I got my K10D. Then I added about 3 more batteries, and hoped they'll carry over. No such luck, of course. Now there's 3 terminals instead of 2, spaced differently, and no groove on top -- in the exact same square. It almost screams, "we need you to buy more batteries, man!" Don't you find it a bit, how should I put it, superfluous? 7.2V vs 7.4V. Yeah right.

02-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Got the K-7 today, almost 3 years exactly to the day I got my K10D. Then I added about 3 more batteries, and hoped they'll carry over. No such luck, of course. Now there's 3 terminals instead of 2, spaced differently, and no groove on top -- in the exact same square. It almost screams, "we need you to buy more batteries, man!" Don't you find it a bit, how should I put it, superfluous? 7.2V vs 7.4V. Yeah right.

I hope you checked out the most notable limitation of K-7, which was that none of the Pentax lens ever made is not compatible.
02-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I hope you checked out the most notable limitation of K-7, which was that none of the Pentax lens ever made is not compatible.
ha ha ha ha That is very funny and appropriate...

But coming back to the batteries, it does suck, but i doubt it is to sell more batteries. Or maybe i am underestimating how evil Pentax can be.
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I understand the pain, I moved from low discharge NiMh AAs which I had quite a few on K100D to proprietary Lion ones K7. However, after finding that the cheap ebay Lion batteries work as well, I am happy with the switch.

02-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Yeah, and someone's late to pick you up from preschool.

Now if anybody has any real justification for the difference in Li-Ion batteries? I mean they both are Li-Ion. The chargers are almost the same. The square and latches are the same, the groove is gone and the terminals are different, and voltage is insignificantly different.
02-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, and someone's late to pick you up from preschool.

Now if anybody has any real justification for the difference in Li-Ion batteries? I mean they both are Li-Ion. The chargers are almost the same. The square and latches are the same, the groove is gone and the terminals are different, and voltage is insignificantly different.
I'm just guessing but the potential power demands of a K7 must far outpace those of the k20 because of:
A. higher shutter rate
b. larger LCD
c. continuous liveview and video mode

providing a second circuit path inside the battery and camera might solve heat buildup problems or allow a smaller camera for some unknown design reason. I agree with bbear, it would be cheaper from a design standpoint for Pentax to reuse an existing battery design. Something drove this change.
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The K-7 batteries DO last forever, to be fair.
02-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You got a brand new K-7 today and all you can do is complain about something as silly as compatibility with the K10D's battery?

Can you perhaps maybe appreciate what the K-7 now offers you?

Jason

P.S. Maybe this should be moved to another section as this is neither news or rumor.

02-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

TADA!

DealExtreme: $12.38 Pentax D-LI90 Compatible 1860mAh Battery Pack for Pentax K7/K-7
02-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't you find it a bit, how should I put it, superfluous? 7.2V vs 7.4V. Yeah right.
The voltage, as you guessed, is irrelevant. What's relevant is the milliamp-hour rating. Compare your K10D and K-7 batteries, and you'll see this has increased by a not-so-insignificant 15%.

Pentax rates the K-7 as good for around 980 shots on a charge (without flash use, obviously). Were they to have used the K10D battery, and all other things being equal, you'd get about 128 shots less on a charge.

Oh, and by the way... how's this news or a rumor? I'd suggest maybe this thread should have been in the DSLR Discussion forum...

Last edited by knoxploration; 02-19-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: add another thought
02-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Get a "grip" on reality then use AAs
02-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
As much as I love Pentax, fanboys without real info can get annoying as well. I do appreciate K10D and love the K-7 already. Now if you're loyal to a brand, you have to ask, why is the brand not loyal to you -- would it have been difficult to keep the form factor for the batteries? What are the decisions to make them compatible? I submit it's a rumor that everybody in this game wants to make you buy new batteries. There's no reason most of Li-Ion batteries cannot be standardized. However, they're kept in different form factors so you'd need accessories for them. Just something to think about. What I would like is an explanation from Pentax as to why was it necessary. That's all. Now I'll ask more questions in its own forum. Peace!
02-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, and the other manufacturers don't?

No need to call the "fanboy" trump when people are pointing out the obvious

Like i said, get a "grip" use AAs.

btw it might be news to you but a lot of users here are multi-brand users.
02-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Spend that money!!!!!!!! hey !!!!!!!! you got K_7 !!!!!!!!!!Batteries would be the last thing i would worrie about !!!
02-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

As much as I love Pentax, fanboys without real info can get annoying as well. I do appreciate K10D and love the K-7 already. Now if you're loyal to a brand, you have to ask, why is the brand not loyal to you -- would it have been difficult to keep the form factor for the batteries? What are the decisions to make them compatible? I submit it's a rumor that everybody in this game wants to make you buy new batteries. There's no reason most of Li-Ion batteries cannot be standardized. However, they're kept in different form factors so you'd need accessories for them. Just something to think about. What I would like is an explanation from Pentax as to why was it necessary. That's all. Now I'll ask more questions in its own forum. Peace!
Neither did you took time to check before buying it if you could re-use the batteries?
Now you complain here (that's no news nor rumor) because you did not your homework? C'mon..