Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious about one thing.
you said "By far the most aggravating - and offensive - issue for me is the intervalometer feature," which would suggest that this is a really important issue for your needs. With that in mind, wouldn't a little pre-purchase research have been a natural thing to do?

03-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
But there is no reason why they couldn't implement it.
At least one VERY good reason has been suggested: NOT capping the number of exposures creates a risk that a careless user could basically wear out his camera overnight. I think preventing that is a pretty darned good reason.

QuoteQuote:
Obviously anyone who is about to take more than 99 shots in sequence knows that it is a rather esoteric endeavour...
I write software as my main job. I can tell you from almost twenty years of experience: the risks that are "obvious" to a power user like yourself are NOT OBVIOUS AT ALL to the other 95% of non-power users.

This is apparently how the camera works: 99 shots and you're done. This is adequate to the needs of casual users of the feature, while more serious users can easily buy inexpensive accessories that will help them go beyond the limit. This limitation of the camera wasn't a secret, and I gather that it's not even all that uncommon. I can understand wishing, for your own personal reasons, that the camera worked a little differently than it does. But to buy the camera, knowing that it doesn't do something really important to you, and then complain that this inadequacy is aggravating and "offensive", just seems silly.

Will
03-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
But there is no reason why they couldn't implement it. Obviously anyone who is about to take more than 99 shots in sequence knows that it is a rather esoteric endeavour, and that they will require a power supply and memory card suited to the task.
You are kidding, right?
How many questions get asked on this and other forums that are of the RTFM sort?
Put a feature into a camera and people will try to use it, and then complain that the manufacturer didn't implement this or do that.
I can just imagine how many shutters Pentax would have to replace (under warranty) if they had unlimited intervalometer ability built into the camera.
And guess what, they couldn't claim unreasonable use causing the premature wear out, since they built the ability to wreck the shutter into the camera.
03-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You are kidding, right?
How many questions get asked on this and other forums that are of the RTFM sort?
Put a feature into a camera and people will try to use it, and then complain that the manufacturer didn't implement this or do that.
I can just imagine how many shutters Pentax would have to replace (under warranty) if they had unlimited intervalometer ability built into the camera.
And guess what, they couldn't claim unreasonable use causing the premature wear out, since they built the ability to wreck the shutter into the camera.
I would be willing to bet that an intervalmeter with unlimited actuations would not cause any additional wear than you would get by setting the j[peg compression to minimum quality, and locking the shutter down (or using a switch to do so) and run until it is dead in continuous shot mode.

How many min resoution JPEGs can it fit on a 32GB card???

In fact, just shorting the shutter contacts makes an interval meter of sorts, just that it is at the maximum frame rate of the camera

this is actually a pretty silly argument. Assuming someone is seriously putting a 500 or 1000 frame time lapsed shot together. What is the cost of their time, the setup, and the cost of watching what ever is being photographed. research like that is worth thousands, so what does it cost in the end for a $50 custom built intervalmeter.

I think this is more someone trolling to complain against pentax and finding nothing better to bitch about

03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would be willing to bet that an intervalmeter with unlimited actuations would not cause any additional wear than you would get by setting the j[peg compression to minimum quality, and locking the shutter down (or using a switch to do so) and run until it is dead in continuous shot mode.

How many min resoution JPEGs can it fit on a 32GB card???

In fact, just shorting the shutter contacts makes an interval meter of sorts, just that it is at the maximum frame rate of the camera

this is actually a pretty silly argument. Assuming someone is seriously putting a 500 or 1000 frame time lapsed shot together. What is the cost of their time, the setup, and the cost of watching what ever is being photographed. research like that is worth thousands, so what does it cost in the end for a $50 custom built intervalmeter.

I think this is more someone trolling to complain against pentax and finding nothing better to bitch about
I dont think it is case of trolling. more like the person didnt really think things through and was 'ignorantly frustrated'. its very obvious that when you spend a few moments thinking about it, why Pentax did and should cap the frame count. was it a dumb rant? in the big picture, yea. but I wouldnt go so far as to say it was trolling.
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I dont think it is case of trolling.........
I agree it isn't trolling. I think its a case of venting some frustrations. Believe it or not, I've actually been known to do that myself on RARE occasions.
03-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree it isn't trolling. I think its a case of venting some frustrations. Believe it or not, I've actually been known to do that myself on RARE occasions.
and when you do, we will be sure to call it trolling. you know, because we can.

03-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Well yes, if all you are comparing is doing numbers of actuations, but I feel that the comparison you are making isn't a valid one.
The difference is that what you are saying is extremely unlikely to be done, whereas putting an intervalometer that has an unlimited actuation preset into the camera is much more likely to be used, and more likely used to the point of abusing the equipment.