Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #1

Good starting point for new K100D owner?

I'm a new K100D owner (I very recently had a Nikon D40 for about a week until it failed) and I've been greatly inspired by the photos and people on this website. I'm attempting to learn how to shoot RAW, but I'd like to know any suggestions for adjusting the default settings to get some good JPEGs out of the camera.

Also, when you shoot in RAW mode are all the other camera settings ignored (contrast, sharpness, etc?)

Thanks!

Bob

PS: Here's one of my first "keepers" shot with the 50-200mm.

07-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The default camera settings are very good for producing nice JPEGs out-of-camera. I like to turn down the saturation a notch in bright mode, and you may want to do the same for sharpening.

(And yes, these things are just used as hints in RAW mode -- they may determine the defaults in some RAW processing programs, but aren't applied.)
07-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, mattdm. I'll play around with the settings and see what happens. I guess I'm looking for some "magic" combination that others have already figured out.
07-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PrompterBob Quote
Thanks, mattdm. I'll play around with the settings and see what happens. I guess I'm looking for some "magic" combination that others have already figured out.
The camera designers actually already did a pretty good job of that.

Many of the settings have no right answer but are useful in different situations. It's good to understand your different options for metering, for example, so you can know when to use each one, or at least know which one you're using so you know what you're starting from if you want to set EV compensation for a given scene.