Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #1

No RAW in Green mode for K-7?

I often would put K10 into a green mode and be satisfied with the results; or keep it in P for +/- adjustments. Now I got the K-7, and set the file format to RAW first in P. However, looks like in Green mode it's reset back to JPEG. If I switch to P, it's RAW again. Is it a feature?

02-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
from what others have reported, yes that is so. Green mode freezes a number of settings so the user can't accidentally shoot themselves in the foot. The assumption appears to be that people using Green mode wouldn't know what to do with a RAW file if they shot one, so that's disabled. people savvy enough to shoot RAW are savvy enough to use P mode (which of course requires no knowledge whatsoeve r- it's just as automatic as Green mode).
02-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Green mode is there for the photographer who want's everything done for him.
Take your card from the camera, stick it into the kiosk at K-Mart and get pictures.
If you want to make any adjustments for yourself, you need to use a different mode.
It's not a feature, it's the logical way for a point and shoot picture making process to work.
02-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Wheatfield, but ...

I can see at least one situation when an experienced photographer will use the Green mode. In emergency, when we need to take very, very rapidly a shot within a very, very limited timeframe, I would switch to the Green mode to ensure that I will not stuff up the shot. That has happened to me before: I forgot that I set a particular setting that was unsuitable for this one-in-a-million chance shot. I was very, very angry after myself and I am still pissed off ....

Now I use the Green mode in emergency and I would only switch back to P-mode if I have the time to double-check my settings.

02-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #5

For situation you described, all you need to do is remember to push the green button. That one should reset the settings.
02-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
For situation you described, all you need to do is remember to push the green button. That one should reset the settings.
Agreed. The "hyper green" button is a very nice feature to quickly get back to a baseline exposure.

I am very proud of the fact that I have never taken a single exposure in the "Green mode" with any Pentax DSLR I have ever owned. (Ok, gimme a break. Maybe I don't have anything else to be proud of. )
02-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
Nope. I can indicate at least a couple of situations when the Green button alone is useless (no disrespect meant): if I set the ISO to a max high at 800 ISO, and have to weak up very early at sunrise needing 1600 ISO ... I am in trouble. The Green button does not reset all settings. And in emergency I do not want to fiddle with small buttons and I am sure that most of us don't.

I maintain: the Green mode is the 'default' emergency/panic setting.

02-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Well, I maintain that the Green mode is the default "hand the camera to a friend when they are taking a picture of you" mode.
02-20-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's fair enough. But I also think that in an "emergency/panic" situation I could live with JPEG files.
02-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

I maintain: the Green mode is the 'default' emergency/panic setting
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Well, I maintain that the Green mode is the default "hand the camera to a friend when they are taking a picture of you" mode.
Pentaxpoke,
I agree with you on your definition. I think that we are discussing of two fairly different situations, and there is nothing wrong with these two types of advice.
02-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
In fact, this shows clearly that Green mode got screwed up. I only shoot in RAW. If I hand the camera to a friend, I want my shot in RAW.
02-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
In fact, this shows clearly that Green mode got screwed up. I only shoot in RAW. If I hand the camera to a friend, I want my shot in RAW.
That's what the "P" setting is for.
The green setting isn't screwed up, you just don't understand the purpose of it and want it to be something that it isn't.
02-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

From page 95 of the K-7 manual:

QuoteQuote:
Using the Green Mode
Lets you capture images with fully automatic settings.
In Green mode, pictures are taken with the following settings.
• Program Line: AUTO
• File Format: JPEG
• JPEG Recorded Pixels: 14M
• JPEG Quality: ***
• Sensitivity: AUTO
• Metering Method: Multi-segment Metering
• AF Point: Auto
• White Balance: AWB (Auto)
• Custom Image: Bright
• Shake Reduction: On
• Color Space: sRGB
Link to the K-7 manual is here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/pdf/K-7_e_web.pdf

- Jason

Last edited by inferno10; 02-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Of course, it's obvious enough that some poeple would want Grene mdoe to use one group of settings, and others would want it to use another. It's kind of a no win situation - no matter which settign Pentax picked, someone would be unhappy. And having it customizable kind of defeats the purpose of a mode that is specifically designed to provide a fail safe way of getitng a shot no matter how badly you've screwed up your settings.
02-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Of course, it's obvious enough that some poeple would want Grene mdoe to use one group of settings, and others would want it to use another. It's kind of a no win situation - no matter which settign Pentax picked, someone would be unhappy. And having it customizable kind of defeats the purpose of a mode that is specifically designed to provide a fail safe way of getitng a shot no matter how badly you've screwed up your settings.
Something that Pentax could do is allow a user to press the RAW button to get a raw + jpeg in green mode, but then if they did that, someone else would want a different level of customization, and all of a sudden the green mode is the same as the P mode.